PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Space non-spinning?

MincaMouse
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Has anyone tried this? We are going this weekend and I just read that Mission: Space has a non-spinning option. I'm excited at the prospect of doing a new ride (no way I'm ever riding in a centrifuge, I used to be a chemist!), but only if it's any good. Opinions?

LudwigVonDrake
05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I love the spinning side and want to try the non-spinning side to compare. I'll be trying it in July !!! :mickey:

:tink:

jszczur5
05-06-2007, 11:55 PM
We tried the green pass last summer. The full strength version of mission space is still available (orange pass), but having tried the "light" version, I will never spin again. The first time we went on the original ride (Summer '04), my husband felt sick all day. First ride of the day after a big breakfast - go figure. I liked it - sort of. I referred to it as an instant facelift. During the oh-so-intense takeoff, my face felt like it was sliding right off, like eggs off a plate. The kids, however, loved it. Summer of '05, we all went on it again. Both my husband and I had "funny" heads all day. Again, the boys loved it. Last summer, we tried the new lighter version - I called it the chicken pass, and hubby and I both loved it. The boys then went on to ride the full strength version 3 times, while hubby and I played in the game area at the end of the ride.
If you find the spinning too intense (I especially can't handle the Spinning Teacups), then try the light version. You'll probably love it, and maybe you can make your way up to the full strength spinning version. Even if you never try the full version, you will be able to say you experienced Mission Space, and still was able to enjoy the rest of the day.

chicade88
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I believe that the original ride is actually the orange team and the less intense one is the green team. Could anyone confirm this though?

MincaMouse
05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for responding. My husband gets vertigo and I get motion sickness, so we will NEVER try the spinning version. Is the non-spinning version completely tame? Is it not a thrill ride at all anymore? We both miss Horizons, that was an awesome ride, and we've been disappointed that they replaced it with a thrill ride that we're not able to handle.

MincaMouse
05-07-2007, 11:22 AM
No worries! I am pretty much going to make the cast member that loads us sign in blood that we're not getting into the spinning version. There will be much double-checking. Actually, maybe I should learn how to say "Don't spin me" in several languages, just in case?

Figment!
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I believe that the original ride is actually the orange team and the less intense one is the green team. Could anyone confirm this though? That is correct.

It is not hard to identify the non-spinning version while there as it is called "Green Team: Less Intense Training" at the attraction.

When you approach the queue entrance Cast Members will greet you and ask you which training you want. They will then giving you a pass for either Green Team or Orange Team. You later hand that pass off to another Cast Member who ensures you are in process to load the proper vehicle, in addition to there being a separate stand-by queue for each team.

I would personally compare the Green Team to Star Tours.

King Triton
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
We tried the orange (I think) pass last summer. The full strength version of mission space is still available (green pass),

jszczcur, just to clarify, you have it backwards. The ORANGE team is the original, spinning, version and the GREEN team is the non-spinning version.

I believe that the original ride is actually the orange team and the less intense one is the green team. Could anyone confirm this though?

You are correct.

King Triton
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Oops, sorry Figment. Didn't mean to step on your post; I think we answered the question at the same time...

2Epcot
05-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I've only done the "green" non-spinning side, and I enjoyed it very much. I kind of wanted to do the spinning version, but of our large group, most wanted to do the non-spinning, so I went with them. I love thrill rides, but the attraction is so well done, I didn't feel like I was missing much, by not getting the full sensations.

lightyearfan
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
we did the no spin and it was still a fun ride. after the spinning part , i believe that the rest of the ride is the same

victor

MincaMouse
05-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Hmmm Star Tours made me queasy, but I just closed my eyes and I was fine. As long as I'm not actually spinning I should be fine. Thanks all for your input. :mickey:

cfoshe
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
My Wife And I Have Done Both Sides, The Non-spinning Side Is Just As Much As A Thrill As The Spinning, To Me We Did Not Lose Much By Going Green. And Will Go Green From Now On.

larandtra
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
My 13yo took my 7yo on it, as that is the only way she would get on it and she loved it. my 13yo who rides the spinning side with me said it was definately not the same without the spin effect, but, enjoyable none the less.

indytraveler
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
we did the no spin and it was still a fun ride. after the spinning part , i believe that the rest of the ride is the same

victor

My Wife And I Have Done Both Sides, The Non-spinning Side Is Just As Much As A Thrill As The Spinning, To Me We Did Not Lose Much By Going Green. And Will Go Green From Now On.

I rode "Orange" the first time felt queasy for awhile after. Rode "Green" and had a head ache after. I'm not one to get motion sickness but the ride just gets me uptight. I'll only do "green" from here on out. Yes, even after getting a headache I will ride again.

CM~Mserrano
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
It is correct that the green side is the non spinning version and the orange is the spinning version. It should not be necessary to confirm and reconfirm that you are on the correct side as it will be posted several times in queue, just make sure you ask for green. Also, if you somehow do mistakenly take orange, when you get to the point in queue that you would be loaded into the ready room you can switch from Orange to Green but are not allowed to switch from Green to Orange, just something they have made a rule that CMs aren't allowed to break. If someone wanted to switch to Orange we would have to send them all the way to the end of the queue, kinda not fun as a CM, but it was for safety so they would have to at least be presented with all the warnings. It will also be confirmed in both of the preshow movies. If you do feel sick you can definately close your eyes, and while I agree that it is similar to Star Tours, the movements of Mission Space are much more fluid and don't toss you around too much.

Mousefever
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
We rode the green team version for the first time in January and loved it! My husband, who had a severe closed head injury many years ago, handled it just fine. The only thing I don't like is that it blows very cold air directly in your face. It probably feels fabulous in July. Not so much in January.

:dory:

mainemajor
05-07-2007, 08:26 PM
we went last October and rode both sides. while i love the full (orange) ride the non spinning (green) was just as much fun! I say go for the green and you will love it

Dyanna
05-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Although I have never been on this ride yet. Will be trying it for the 1st time in Oct. I think they should reverse the line names. Green team should be the intense spinning ride since when you get off it you are "green" :ill: . Then they should make the orange team the non spinning version.

jefmblrd
05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I had similar concerns when I went to WDW in April. I had never ridden Mission Space due to health reasons, and wondered about the green side. I had a lot of help from people here at Intercot, so I want to do my part to return that favor.

The green side is fairly tame, and I would agree that it's somewhat similar to Star Tours. It tilts back when you are taking off-the best part- and moves a bit but it's not intense. You are watching things happen on a small screen right in front of you, and if you start to feel sick at all, you can just close your eyes.

One thing that some people said was that it is a bit closed in, so if you don't like tight spaces, it may be a problem. I didn't find it a problem, but I can see that some people would.

CMs do a great job of making sure that you are in the line you need to be in. There are reminders as well once you get inside. I had been a bit concerned about that myself.

I hope this helps and have fun.

LisaMarie
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I've ridden both sides. The green side is almost as good. Because you still tilt back and move some, you still feel sort of like you are taking off into space. My niece who is prone to motion sickness rode the green side only and still felt a little queasy afterward even without the spinning.

MincaMouse
05-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks so much everybody, you've been extremely helpful. We are definitely going to try it, so sometime on Friday you can find me on this ride!

Dicecatt262
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Before a green version was available, my husband and two of my kids rode it...DH was sick for over a day! I am very motion sickeness prone, but armed with a motion sickness patch and a Green card, I went on it this past weekend. It was fun! And I did not get sick. Right at the entrance they ask if you want Spinning or Non Spinning, and give you the appropriate color card, there is no way to mistake it. Just remember Orange is a harsh color, Green is soothing...I enjoyed it. My kids were rooting for Orange but I told them we can do Green and have more fun that day, or do Orange and have a sick Mommy, they chose Green:sick: