PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge - standard vs savannah

SimbaandNalasMama
05-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi guys! Been a long time since I posted, but been lurking :blush: ..

Question please: I have a ressie for opening weekend of Wine and Food fest at AKL (9/28-10/3), but all they could give me was standard view. I really want savannah room, and will keep checking back, but want to know your opinion. If we can only get standard, is it worth it to stay there? I have been reading all over these boards and we are very excited about the lodge. Its just me and my husband. We are also a tad bit worried about the construction due to past experiences with construction on vacation (LLLLOOOONNNGGG story :mad: , but not related to Disney company).

anyway...would love your opinions! :mickey:

thanks in advance!

JPL
05-06-2007, 01:03 PM
IMHO it's only worth it to stay there with a savannah view. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and going out on the balcony and watching the animals with a cup of :coffee:
Ther are other animal viewing areas but the real thrill is being able to see them right from your room. Personally as much as I love the resort if I couldn't get the Savannah view I would stay elsehwere.

Spaceship Tigger
05-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Last trip we were upgraded to free to a savannah view, but we ended up on the Sunset Savannah where there were never many animals hanging around. I figured after that that a standard view room would have been just as good. The resort as a whole is wonderful enough to make up for a not-so-great view from the balcony.

Jen66
05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I think the resort is incredible and worth it no matter what the view! Also, is there any possibility that a standard view may actually be better due to the current construction? I am not sure where the construction is, but it seems to affect some views. Anyone know for sure??

DisneyEpcotDad
05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I stayed at AK with a standard view. The view was of the front of the building and a view of the parking lot. The actual room itself was nice, but I think if I had a Savannah view I may have enjoyed the resort more than I did. Plus I stayed there during a cold spell and couldn't enjoy the pool, hot tub, etc.

metroliner
05-06-2007, 04:19 PM
My family went to the AKL last summer. We had a standard room and was glad I kept my money for other things. I felt there were plenty of places to view the animals around the resort.

I believe that resort sells out of standard rooms first anyway. I hear there is a chance of getting upgraded for free. I've read about it several places on the internet.

Anyway, you will love the resort!!

BW Fan
05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I agree with others that this is a truly spectacular resort; however, the thing that makes it special is the savanah view, and without it, I am not sure it it worth being that far from all the other locationsl.

Personally, if I couldn't get savanah view, and I still wanted to stay at a deluxe resort, I would go to one of the Epcot resorts - Boardwalk , Beach Club or Yacht Club. If I had young children it would be Polynesian for sure.

Niecyboo
05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
We had a standard view at AKL and were just fine with it. We kept joking about all the wild Fords and Mitsubishi we could see from our room. Still, that was only if you leaned over the balcony, otherwise we saw the trees. We still felt completely immersed in the African atmosphere and saw plenty of animals from other places. We would stay there again in a second, and probably not pay for the extra view either.

thejens
05-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't spend much time in my room, so for me I wouldn't pay extra for Savannah again. I love soaking up the ambiance of the lodge, the patio etc. and don't especially like to hang out on a balcony or small room. I loved Boma and the hot tubs and the gift shop and have yet to try Jiko. For me the Savannah view (we did pay for last trip) was the least of my enjoyments of the lodge. Now if you like to hang out on the balcony a lot that would be different.

Momof2boys
05-07-2007, 10:43 AM
We'll be at AKL for 10 nights in October and talked long & hard with kids (9 & 7) about which view worked for us. We ended up booking a pool view & bunk beds. We love exploring our resort and our consensus was they wouldn't want to explore & watch the animals around the resort if they could see them in our room. But yet I didn't want a parking lot view so we compromised.

Darbylew
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
We had a standard room at the AKL. We over
looked the pool and it was nice. Right outside
of our room was a large plate glass window
where you could see all the animals. I was very
happy with our room. Hope you have a great
time. :mickey:

Septbride2002
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Loved my standard room! There are public viewing areas all over the place. We had one that was a balcony overlooking the Arusha Savannah that was one floor down from our room. I was there every morning for 30 minutes to an hour just watching animals and I was never ever bothered by anyone. Also I think having a Standard View makes you enjoy the resort more. You are more apt to go wandering for places to watch the animals rather then just hanging out in your room. There are some public spots by the pool area that are very private.

~Amanda

Dicecatt262
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I would only stay at AKL with a Savannah view. Everytime we returned to our room, or just when we woke up, we'd head right out to the balcony. We had great fun watching a pair of cranes protect their eggs, later to find out they were both female and the eggs weren't fertilized! We woke up to giraffes, zebra, ect, right by us, it was amazing.

SimbaandNalasMama
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! You wont believe this, but we now may be able to get a Poly room, at a significant discount! now i am all torn...poly or akl!!

Dicecatt262
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Poly, always...I loved AKL, but Poly is still my favorite.

Septbride2002
05-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Poly - no doubt about it.

SimbaandNalasMama
05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
well, the ressie is changed now to the Poly. We just couldnt pass up the offer being extended to us. :mickey:

psychotekkie
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
You won't regret the change. I have stayed at both, and though we loved seeing the animals at AKL, the Poly is just too great, with the view of the fireworks from the pool, and the monorail (oh how I love the monorail at the end of a busy day!!!), plus fantastic theming, Luau show, tonga toast, tiki's everywhere, water launch to MK, great staff... *sigh*.

baldburke
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
We loved having a Savannah view room. It was worth it. In the morning we could sit out on the patio and watch the animals come out until the kids woke up. And as we were getting ready for dinner the animals were usually eating too. So it would give the kids something to do while my wife was get ready to go out for the evening. And going in Novemner were it was only about 80 during the day with low humidity one of us could sit out on the patio while or youngest napped. Having a Savannah view really makes the experience.

Dicecatt262
05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
well, the ressie is changed now to the Poly. We just couldnt pass up the offer being extended to us. :mickey:

You'll LOVE it!

SimbaandNalasMama
05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
we are REALLY excited about the Poly! probably only time our budget will allow for a deluxe resort, so we are taking full advantage. i cannot WAIT!!

mousetrapper
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I have to say how much I love the Poly!!!

We adore visiting AKL and do so every trip (always having one dinner at Boma), but Poly wins hands down for us. AKL seems a little out of the way for us, plus animal-watching isn't big on our list of must-dos.

Having said that, I would still suggest planning a visit to AKL since it is so beautifully designed...it has such an incredibly magical atmosphere! The lobby is exquisite. Boma is wonderful....so many choices of delicious dishes. We always arrive a little early to do a little exploring and soak in the atmosphere, and also to have a drink in the lounge before eating at Boma.