PDA

View Full Version : DLH and PPH- worth it?

WDWizard
05-05-2007, 08:19 PM
At first we planned on staying at one of the off-site hotels in the area, but now that I think of it, for a little bit more we could stay at the Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel. I've heard that PPH and DLH are "Disneyfied holiday inns" and that you get the same for the hotels and motels on Harbor Blvd and the area around DLR, because they lack theme and are more convenient to get to the parks..any suggestions?

BrerGnat
05-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I've stayed at the PPH, not the DLH, but that will be the next one we try. We have also stayed at the Grand.

I would SO not agree that they are Disneyified Holiday Inns. You are paying for the location and theme. While the PPH's "theme" is pretty light, the DLH is almost over the top "Disney". Certainly, there is some major themeing going on at DLH. The PPH has a sort of beach-y theme, and it's only executed as well as a high rise in the middle of a city will allow. The rooms, however, are H-U-G-E. They are bigger than all the WDW deluxe resort rooms. I believe they are the largest rooms of all the DLR property hotels.

If you can afford the DLH, go there. We had a lovely stay at PPH, but it is pretty far removed from the rest of the property. It's a long walk to get anywhere.

I'm sure many of the offsite places are just fine, but they are located in a VERY heavily traffiked area and most have doors that open to the outside. I can only imagine how noisy these hotel rooms can be...

RedSoxFan
07-01-2007, 03:10 PM
We stayed at PPH when we were there. We had a 1 BR suite with 2 BA as there are 6 of us. The rooms are huge and I thought it was a lovely hotel. They just finished renovations before our visit. IMO it isn't a long walk to either theme park. I would stay there again.

Melanie
07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I've stayed at both PPH and DLH, as well as an offsite hotel. Certainly the PPH and DLH are much more Disney themed, and I also wouldn't classify them as Disneyfied Holiday Inns - not even close! The offsite hotel was fine, but I'd much rather stay onsite if I can afford it.

WDWizard
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. We ended up booking off-site, at the Candy Cane Inn across the street. The DLR resorts were just too expensive and we found that the resort we picked looks really nice (Voted #1 hotel in Anaheim on TripAdvisor). Its a nice boutique hotel with free breakfast, internet, and transportation to the parks and seemed more worth it than the expensive Disney hotels.

I read a lot of reviews..and the Disney hotel I heard the worse from was the Disneyland hotel. A lot of people said the rooms were in bad condition and they "could hear what the people in the next room planned on eating for breakfast." DLR's hotels look decent and have lots of convenience being so close, but for much less anyone can get a decent less expensive hotel across the street, unlike in WDW where you have to stay on-property to really enjoy it. I hope we enjoy our trip when we go in August.:thumbsup:

Melanie
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Good luck with your choice. I've always heard nice things about the Candy Cane. :thumbsup:

I read a lot of reviews..and the Disney hotel I heard the worse from was the Disneyland hotel. A lot of people said the rooms were in bad condition and they "could hear what the people in the next room planned on eating for breakfast."

:confused:

I've never found this to be the case, and I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel twice in the past year, both times for 6-7 days. The rooms are in great condition, and I don't recall ever hearing my neighbors (except maybe some rowdy INTERCOTees that may or may not have been my traveling companions on one of my trips :fresh: ).

Of the three Disneyland Resort hotels, my preference would be to stay at Disneyland Hotel, followed closely by Paradise Pier, then Grand Californian a distant third.

drevlo
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
You will not be disappointed with the Candy Cane Inn. it is the ONLY motel that we stay in, if we're not staying "on property".
Super clean, friendly staff, and a nice continental breakfast by the pool!

Enjoy!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I've never found this to be the case, and I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel twice in the past year, both times for 6-7 days. The rooms are in great condition, and I don't recall ever hearing my neighbors (except maybe some rowdy INTERCOTees that may or may not have been my traveling companions on one of my trips :fresh: ).

I agree that the Disneyland Hotel is a great place to stay. Loved the room, the resort atmosphere and my rowdy neighbors (who may or may not have been Melanears).

Loved it so much I am heading back in a couple weeks to share the wonder of the place with my daughter (and a few rowdy others).

ghoofie
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
We have stayed at both PPH and DH. We have stayed numerous times at the Candy Cane. The Cane works best for us. The walk is no further than walking to the park entrance from either of those two on-site hotels. We find it just isn't worth staying on property. I guess everyone should try a Disney on-site once to experience it. Then go back to the Candy Cane.

Oh..if your tootsies are just to tired to walk back to the Candy Cane, they have their own private shuttle and runs every 1/2 hour. Nice.

EtteDMS
07-22-2007, 02:33 PM
When we were planning a trip to DL a year ago we debated the same thing. We eventually decided to stay at the Paradise Pier and now look forward to staying there again. The rooms were quite large, the daybed was actually the size of a twin bed and quite comfy, the decor had all been nicely updated and themed, and the beds were very comfortable. Also, its restaurant, while unassuming, had some of the best food of our stay, and the staff could not have been more pleasant. Also, as we were there over the 4th of July, we know it was filled to capacity, but it never seemed crowded at all and the atmosphere was very serene. It took 5-10 minutes to walk to DL, all part of the experience as on-site guests can enter through the Grand Californian, and then through Downtown Disney. One tip. If you are going at a time when the parks can fill to capacity, I read when we were going that you can be told to return later should this happen unless you are staying on-site, in which case you can enter at all times.

WDWizard
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Good luck with your choice. I've always heard nice things about the Candy Cane. :thumbsup:

:confused:

Of the three Disneyland Resort hotels, my preference would be to stay at Disneyland Hotel, followed closely by Paradise Pier, then Grand Californian a distant third.

That's strange, from what it looks like the Grand Californian is the best hotel at DLR. How could it be the worst? It looks nice and convenient, being in the middle of the resort and close to everything, and a lot of the rooms overlook the park.

I usually hear nothing but bad things about the Disneyland Hotel, I don’t know why. If I ask someone who is not a big Disney fan, or someone who stayed there after experiencing WDW's resorts, they are very negative about it. The only bad thing I have heard about the Grand Californian is that the rooms are a bit small. Other than that, everyone is always saying how convenient and beautifully themed it is.

mickeysworld
07-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Melanears
Good luck with your choice. I've always heard nice things about the Candy Cane.

I've never found this to be the case, and I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel twice in the past year, both times for 6-7 days. The rooms are in great condition, and I don't recall ever hearing my neighbors (except maybe some rowdy INTERCOTees that may or may not have been my traveling companions on one of my trips ).

That's strange, from what it looks like the Grand Californian is the best hotel at DLR. How could it be the worst? It looks nice and convenient, being in the middle of the resort and close to everything, and a lot of the rooms overlook the park.

I usually hear nothing but bad things about the Disneyland Hotel, I don’t know why. If I ask someone who is not a big Disney fan, or someone who stayed there after experiencing WDW's resorts, they are very negative about it. The only bad thing I have heard about the Grand Californian is that the rooms are a bit small. Other than that, everyone is always saying how convenient and beautifully themed it is.

Have to agree with Melanears on this one. Having been to all 4 resorts in question, (and many in WDW as well) we love in order:
1. DLH
2. Candy Cane Inn
3. PPH
4. GC

DLH was always our first choice, we found the rooms to be very spacious, comparable to (but smaller than) WDW's deluxes, never had any problems with noise or hearing neighbors, loved the Neverland themed pool, loved walking into the lobby and having Goofy or Mary Poppins or (insert your favorite character) there to greet you, play with your kids, etc, while you checked in, loved Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast, loved the excellent steakhouse, loved "having" to walk through Downtown Disney and the World of Disney store on the way back to the hotel, loved the waterfall and the remote control boats, loved the upper floor rooms with views of Disneyland, loved being close to the monorail, I could go on and on! If AP holder rates were unavailable during our visits our second choice was the Candy Cane Inn. The walk is very close, pretty much the same as if staying at the DLH. It is a lovely motel, very clean rooms, sweetly decorated, landscaping is very pretty, the free continental breakfast is nice, having the shuttle available for tired feet is terrific and best of all, the price is right! I think you will be very happy there. The only noise problem we had was being on the bottom floor, you will definetely hear people above you and walking by if they are talking.

The reason we rank GC last is not because it's the worst, just our least favorite. First and foremost, it was usually cost prohibitive for us, even with AP discounts, secondly, yes, it is a beautiful hotel but I think it's the least "Disney" one on property, and yes it's close but not that much closer than the others.

Have a great trip, you'll love the Candy Cane and the place where it all began!

tinkwest
07-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I have never had anything but good experiences at the Disneyland Hotel. On occasion we have had an issue or two, but it was always handled promptly and efficiently. One time we had a very disappointing room (small, crummy view), but it was when we made a last minute decision to spend the night and we really were just lucky that there was even a room to give us. If we are going to spend the money to stay at the DLH we always go with a view. It just really makes it more worth the stay, in my family's opinion.

I think the biggest issue with the GCH is the price of a stay. Location is great, balconies are great, atmosphere is great, but the cost is absolutely going to make you think twice (or more) before making the reservation. I have also wondered why they made the rooms smaller than both the DLH and PPH when it was obviously going to be pushed as the grandest of the three. But I have never felt the rooms were tiny, just smaller in comparison.

Although I have never stayed there, Candy Cane Inn has always been praised by INTERCOT members. I would not hesitate to make a reservation there and give it a try.

kodabearcub
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Hello, have stayed at PPH DLH and CC and all three are great, and CC is just as good if you take out the themeing. However, it is a beautiful walk to and from (palm trees and nice landscaping). The motel is very nicely landscaped and relaxing. It is actually nice to come back to the room and take a break from the park for a few hours. This hotel allows for that. We do always try for the ap discount when we book, but since it is usually not available we always go to candycane and stay 5-7 nights at a time and love it. As a side note, since we are there for long periods of time, there are low-cost meal choices across the street!!! You cant go wrong!

NYdaily
08-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm sure you'll love your hotel choice!

I'm surprised to see that people don't like the GC -- we've stayed there as well as the DH and enjoyed both equally. As far as proximity to the park convenience -- the GC is much better. I've found that the "perk" of the monorail for DH is not that great because of spotty operation and you have to walk to get to it anyway.

WiLdOrCa
08-13-2007, 09:25 PM
We've stayed at the good neighbor hotels, Park Place inn, Carousel Inn but by far the best one we liked was Howard Johnson. It's not that much further from Park Place and Carousel and the gate entrance, but it's MUCH quieter!!! The rooms are big, and roomy and the doors are indoors in a enclosed hallway similar to an apartment complex. It was quiet and you couldn't hear the neighbors at all. We slept very well, knowing it was away from the main traffic as well yet still within easy access. It did not deter us from getting back and forth with our teens during the day either.

We were looking to staying at PPH but now we like being out of the limelight... we'd stay at PPH with the teens when they go with us, but we are planning an "alone" wedding anniversary for our 20th year and going for quiet and going at an off time in Feb.

Just my humble opinion. :mickey:

I grew up in Garden Grove, and have gone there for many many many years... it's changed and odd to have to find a hotel to stay there now, but it's great that there is such a nice choice as well. When I have our 25th, I plan on staying at the Californian... WOW!! That is my dream..

Take care and enjoy!
Vickie