PDA

View Full Version : Swan Info

iluvmickey16
05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I have reservations for the Swan this August with a teacher rate of $149. I have read some critical reviews and am worried that I am making a mistake. Should I pay more and stay at the WL? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DisneyGiant
05-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Really - all the reviews I've read here have been fantastic.

We're looking forward to our trip (also at the teacher rate)!!

47 more days til pure magic!!!! :magic:

Figment!
05-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT :hi: , Glad you're here :)

We've stayed at the Swan twice and have had GREAT experiences both times. :thumbsup:

Personally, I ignore critical on-line reviews of hotels due to them being 99% subjective complaints. The problem with subjective complaints are two-fold:

1) One person's unacceptable, is another person's fantastic.

2)Complaints are louder than praises. The vast majority of people who have a good experience tend not to share it, while the vast majority of people who had a poor experience do. This generally makes a very rare issue appear it is commonplace.

In my opinion the best way to pick a hotel is by amenity, location and other objective attributes.

If the location, dining options, room style, hotel decor and transportation options appeal to you, it is a good choice.

The Swan is not as themed as the average Disney resort, but even with its recent redesign it still has more theming than any standard non-Disney resort (albeit subtle).

The architecture is breathtaking and the resorts are two of the most beautiful at night on property.

The next door Dolphin contains the 24 hour food court as well as other Dining options that are a short few minute walk across a shared courtyard.

The Swan features what is arguably the most comfortable beds on-property, the Heavenly Beds. I can honestly say they are the most comfortable beds I have slept in.

The Swan & Dolphin share a large tropical themed pool area between the two individual resorts.

The resorts do participate in Extra Magic Hours, use Disney bus and Friendship boat transportation, have a Disney ticketing desk and can have theme park packages sent back to the hotel.

They do not participate in Magical Express or the Disney Dining Plan.

We've found the service to be top notch. These are luxury hotels and have the type of service you would accordingly expect from a hotel typically charging $300-400 a night. The Teacher rate is a great deal and one we were not able to pass up on our last two vacations.

Jeff
05-05-2007, 05:07 PM
My family has stayed at the Swan 4 times and are booked again for this coming Dec. We have stayed at many other WDW resorts as well We love the Swan. Great staff, excellent location, fantastic beds, nice rooms.

Don't worry about it - you have made a good choice.

To show you how much we enjoy the Swan here is my families ranking of the places we have stayed at WDW:
1. Poly
2. Swan (although my wife ranks Swan 1)
3. Boardwalk Inn
4. POR
5. AKL
6. Beach Club
7. Contemporary
8. Pop
9. Music

OogieBoogieMan
05-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I just went to the Swan for the first time after staying at every other BW area resort with the exception of the Dolphin. My two cents is that the hotel is fine but just a little less "Disney". I travel quite a bit for business and this hotel strikes me more as your garden variety Sheraton or Marriott than a Disney property. Now Sheratons and Marriots are not shabby, but in my opinion they are different. I usually get impatient checking in to Disney hotels because they give you the map and the schedules and we have been there more times than I can count so I usually just want to get to the room and get to the park. At the Swan all I got was a room key. You would think I would be happy, but I had this feeling like I wasn't at Disney.

Again, I think Swan is more than acceptable but just a little less Disney.

SallyP
05-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I usually get impatient checking in to Disney hotels because they give you the map and the schedules and we have been there more times than I can count so I usually just want to get to the room and get to the park. At the Swan all I got was a room key. You would think I would be happy, but I had this feeling like I wasn't at Disney.

Again, I think Swan is more than acceptable but just a little less Disney.

Agreed- The Swan and Dolphin definitely do not try and 'sell' Disney to you. The check-in personnel are not in costumes, they are in business suits. They are convention deluxe resorts. But, if for any reason you need Disney help there is a Disney desk, off the main lobby at the Dolphin. They will help you with daily schedules, dining reservations, tickets , etc.
We tend to stay at either Swan or Dolphin regularly because the rates are usually lower than Disney properties. We love their restaurants and lounges. They are also within walking distance to Epcot and MGM Studios which is another big plus for us.

Maleficent's Dad
05-06-2007, 08:00 AM
For the rate you got, I would not change anything.

We've stayed at the Swan a few times, and while we don't love it as much as some, we appreciate the benefits of staying there:

Great (I mean great!) location
Excellent & numerous dining options
Walk to mini-golf, Boardwalk, & 2 parks!
Disney transportation

Have a great trip! :mickey:

JoDisney
05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Can you take advantage of the Early Morning and Extra Evenings hours at the Disney parks when staying at the Swan and the Dolphin, I really need accurate info on this?

SallyP
05-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Can you take advantage of the Early Morning and Extra Evenings hours at the Disney parks when staying at the Swan and the Dolphin, I really need accurate info on this?

Yes you may. This is from Intercot's resorts tab at the top of the page.
Located on Disney property, the Swan and Dolphin are owned by Starwood Hotels. Amenities such as transportation, Extra Magic Hour Program, E-Ride Nights and Pass purchases are still available to Swan and Dolphin guests. Two typical Disney services not offered are meal accommodations at the Disney restaurants and luggage transfers, if you are changing resorts during your stay. The Swan is within walking distance of Dolphin, Yacht & Beach Club Resort, Boardwalk, Epcot, Fantasia Gardens & MGM Studios.

Hammer
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, the Swan and Dolphin resort guests may participate in Extra Magic Hours (both morning and evening). Swan and Dolphin guests cannot use Magical Express or add the Disney Dining Plan.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes you may. This is from Intercot's resorts tab at the top of the page.
Located on Disney property, the Swan and Dolphin are owned by Starwood Hotels.

This isn't actually correct. They are owned by Tishman, managed by Starwood Lodging and Disney is their landlord. (They rent the space from Disney.)

This is a fantastic location. And the heavenly beds cannot be beat. I have troubles sleeping, but not when I stay at these hotels.

And you can use the pools at the Swan and Dolphin. I say keep your reservations at the Swan and enjoy.

anneb
05-07-2007, 04:13 PM
You will love the Swan, especially at that rate. Rooms and all public areas are very nice - far, far better than any moderate resort you might get for that price, and the location is excellent. There's a lap pool right outside the Swan, but I much prefer the huge pool/beach area shared with the Dolphin. The grounds are beautiful, with lots of flowers and palm trees. Try to save a little time to try out one of the hammocks between the palm trees (pure heaven), and to watch the pastry chefs at work through the window outside Gulliver's. No real theming here, other than calm elegance, but the location and facilities are great!

MOJoe
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
The Teacher Rate at the Swan & Dolphin is one of, if not the best, room rate deal on Disney property. For the money, we have a very hard time staying anywhere else. And even if money is not an issue, the location and other amenities make this resort hard to beat. Any hotel can have a housekeeping issue, or a botched reservation. Don't let some one who has a gripe deter you from trying my family's favorite resort.

Meteora
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
We are staying at the Swan this winter and are very much looking forward to it. It'll be our first time staying on Disney property since the early 90s!

I have question about the teacher discount. I am a teacher. Both my parents are school psychologists. They are paid by school districts and are members of the teachers' union. Would they be eligible for the discount if they were to go without me?

Thanks!

DawnluvsEeyore
05-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Do your parents have school ids? That's all I needed to check in. You either need a school id, a check stub from the district, or a letter on school letter-head from their principal or superintendent stating that they work for the district. However, I would call the Swan/Dolphin directly and ask before booking just in case.

We have stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin and enjoyed both visits. We stayed at the Dolphin before the rehab and the beds weren't as comfy, but now both hotels have the heavenly beds and they are truly heavenly. :mickey: And, you can't BEAT the location.

DawnluvsEeyore
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Oh, and I forgot to add that you can book up to three rooms on your discount (if you are staying there also). Again, though, call to double check on that in case they changed that policy since last year.