PDA

View Full Version : Non-smoking Policy....

Mariašoš
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I just got off the phone with CBR regarding the non-smoking policy. I was told Aruba 51 (smoking optional building) will be out of commission the last two weeks of May to start the cleaning process. I imagine all Disney resorts will follow this guideline. So, if you have a vacation planned the last two weeks of this month and requested a smoking room you may not be able to get one. I asked where the designated smoking areas will be located and they still do not know that information. Well, if they're going to have smoking rooms out of commission in two weeks shouldn't they already have the information on where smoking will be allowed? The CM at CBR said all she has been told is that there will be designated smoking areas outside of each resort instead of inside of rooms. She said possibly each courtyard will have a smoking section, but she wasn't positive.

Hammer
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Maria, thanks for posting that information! I agree, they should have the information on where the smoking areas will be located if they are going to take some of the smoking rooms out of commission in 2 weeks! I haven't stayed at Caribbean Beach, but as it is a large resort, I would have to guess there are other buildings which will need to be shutdown to switch them over to non-smoknig. As the building is only going to be down for 2 weeks, I have to think they are only going to do a soft goods refurbishment, which I hope includes curtains and possibly mattresses, and the rooms are not going to be gutted.

Mariašoš
05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
The only smoking optional building at the CBR was Aruba 51, so that's the one they will concentrate on. They will replace carpeting, drapes, mattresses, pillows, linens, new paint, etc..... If you go to Disney's site and click on the resorts you'll see the policy, how much they will charge if you're found to smoke in the room and information on the cleaning process.

They do not know how long the building will be out of commission only that they will not place anyone in Aruba 51 the last two weeks of May so they can start refurbishing the rooms.

Hammer
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
That is surprising that a resort of that size only had one building. Most of the other moderates had 2 buildings, the exception being POFQ, but as it is half the size of the other moderates. I know as of October 2006, Coronado Springs had 2 buildings.

I really think that Disney should not have left it up to each individual resort to determine where the smoking areas will be located. As we are seeing from the different reports, there doesn't seem to be well defined guidelines for the resorts to follow.

TiggerRPh
05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm not seeing the policy when I go to the resort section of the site. Where is it?

Hammer
05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I found the link, but it is a general FAQ about the smoking policies:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQSmokeFreePage

I am curious if at check-in the maps will be updated by June 1. Also, they say in the FAQ that the rooms will receive a "deep cleaning", which will include bed linens, carpets and draperies. That leads me to believe that they are not replacing the carpets but are shampooing them.

mttafire
05-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Good info. Im thinking Disney is FAR more concerned in getting those old smoking rooms fumigated,cleaned and re carpeted than where the smoking areas will be. It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban. :mickey:

vamaggie
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I am assuming that the designated smoking areas will be marked at each resort. I just hope they are not in the path to lobby doors, right next to the pools, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a building.

sleepingbooty
05-04-2007, 07:14 PM
It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban. :mickey:

I don't think people are too concerned. We have every right to be concerned, as having to leave your room and walk a good distance to have a cigarette will really put a damper on my parents vacation, and probably many other smokers. I don't smoke, but if someone told me I am going to have to walk 100 yards to a public bathroom to brush my teeth in the morning (maybe thats a silly analogy, but you get my point), I'd be pretty put out. I plan on calling ahead or faxing and requesting a room for my parents that is close to one of the designated smoking areas. I'm just hoping my parents don't decide to cancel their reservation all together when I finally get the nerve to tell them about the new policy:(

kakn7294
05-04-2007, 10:17 PM
They will replace carpeting, drapes, mattresses, pillows, linens, new paint, etc.....

Also, they say in the FAQ that the rooms will receive a "deep cleaning", which will include bed linens, carpets and draperies. That leads me to believe that they are not replacing the carpets but are shampooing them.
You know, I have to wonder if they will replace the mattresses or not. I don't know how often they replace mattresses throughout the resorts but I can tell you that CBR just got all brand new mattresses in late summer / early fall 2005. Our room had one that was less than a month old and we watched them deliver them to other sections of the resort in Sept '05. I would think this means that they aren't going to replace them. As far as the soft goods - bedding and curtains and the like - a good couple of washings should do the trick as far as the old smoke smell although I'm not so sure about the carpet. I don't know that scrubbing the carpet would completely remove the odor there. I would also think the smell may have permeated into some of the wood furniture as well depending on how long these rooms were smoking optional.

Sharon1026
05-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Personally, I am glad they are doing this...

On the business side, it's easier to book rooms if all of them are non smoking. They probably found that the smoking rooms were "rooms of last resort" for most folks. It's easier to just book out all of the rooms instead of sectioning them off. Plus less damage to beds, carpet, etc. in the room. Probably lower insurance costs, too.

Mariašoš
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Good info. Im thinking Disney is FAR more concerned in getting those old smoking rooms fumigated,cleaned and re carpeted than where the smoking areas will be. It is facinating to me that people can be so concerned as to "where the smoking areas will be". Certainly once folks get to thier resort it wont be too difficult to simply ask "hey, Where can we smoke? Im starting to think that some folks are "concerned" a little too much about this smoking ban. :mickey:

I'm concerned, not only for myself, but for others. Think about single parents who brought their children to Disney and are smokers. How far will they have to go to have a cigarette while their children are asleep in the room? How about single mothers who are walking alone late at night to go have a cigarette? How many people will we now see walking around early in the morning in their pj's and slippers? How far will we have to walk to have a cig? It just may be quicker to go to our cars if it's a value or moderate. How far will those staying at a Deluxe have to walk to have a cig? Who wants to walk 20 minutes out of the way after they spend the whole day walking in the parks? So, yes, I'm concerned and would like to know now instead of spending an hour at check-in to try to figure out where the designated smoking area's will be located so I know where to request my room. Most people like to plan ahead of time...make ADR's 180 days out, book their rooms, make special requests, etc... Well, we don't know where to request.

Mariašoš
05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I also spoke with Ft. Wilderness Campground. I was told you'll be able to smoke at your individual campsite for those in RV's and tents, but those staying in the cabins will have to go to the designated smoking area which there should be one in each loop.

Seasonscraps
05-05-2007, 02:14 AM

I don't see where trying to find out about this is any different then most of the questions people ask on Intercot. People are trying to get some insight on how things will be set up before they get there since it can have an affect on their trip.

When posters ask about crowds, there's no "you'll see when you get there" replies - there are answers based on previous trips at the same time of year. This is a new rule so there's bound to be some curiosity about what's in store for concerned parties.

Magic Smiles
05-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I am assuming that the designated smoking areas will be marked at each resort. I just hope they are not in the path to lobby doors, right next to the pools, etc. Nothing is more frustrating than having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a building.
I so second this. I hated having to walk through clouds of smoke to get in the door of the food court. Walking past individuals smoking along the walkway of a non-smoking building. I really hope that they enforce the no smoking policy and implement the fines. After all second hand smoke is really a health issue for many.

Mickey91
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't see where trying to find out about this is any different then most of the questions people ask on Intercot. People are trying to get some insight on how things will be set up before they get there since it can have an affect on their trip.

When posters ask about crowds, there's no "you'll see when you get there" replies - there are answers based on previous trips at the same time of year. This is a new rule so there's bound to be some curiosity about what's in store for concerned parties.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I feel the pain here. I stopped smoking 15 years ago, (best thing I ever did), but when you're a smoker, yeah, it's a MAJOR inconvenience. I don't see what the harm would be if they let smoker's go out on the balcony, and shut the door behind them. That makes more sense than one big open-air designated spot, but they didn't ask my opinion:blush:

I do hope Disney comes down on the clowns that try to get away with lighting up in the parks while walking in a crowd. Some little child will get burned by a lit cigarette that's being carried at their eye level. I'm sure it's already happened, and something of significance should occur to the bozo that puts anyone else at risk.

I quit because I had to go to a designated spot to smoke. DD came to Az from Phila. to take care of me when I had back surgery ONLY if I promised not to smoke around her for the three months she was here. It got pretty hard to go out back and sit on our wooden furniture, so I did it less and less until I discovered that I had gone two days with only one smoke. She said, "you've gone this far, why not just stop". A couple of weeks later, that was it. (Yes, this is off the topic - sorry).:offtopic:

Melora
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
The harm in letting someone smoke on their own balcony is to the person with the balcony next door - if it's me, I would be unable to use my balcony because of my allergy to smoke. If people cooperate in walking to smoking areas, then we all get to enjoy our balconies.

Granny Jill A
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think people are too concerned. We have every right to be concerned, as having to leave your room and walk a good distance to have a cigarette will really put a damper on my parents vacation, and probably many other smokers.

I'm just hoping my parents don't decide to cancel their reservation all together when I finally get the nerve to tell them about the new policy:(

The argument we often hear regarding smoking vs. non-smoking businesses, is to "let the market decide". Businesses should have the right to allow smoking if they wish. And they should also be allowed to prohibit smoking. If folks have to cancel a reservation because they can't smoke in their room, well, so be it. They have decided to take their money elsewhere.

I'm sorry you are caught in the middle and will not be sharing your vacation with your parents.

WDW_Obsessed
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I so second this. I hated having to walk through clouds of smoke to get in the door of the food court. Walking past individuals smoking along the walkway of a non-smoking building. I really hope that they enforce the no smoking policy and implement the fines. After all second hand smoke is really a health issue for many.

Second hand smoke is a serious health issue for EVERYONE. I am a nurse who spent clincal time in both the oncology unit and respitory therapy. While the majority of the patients with lung cancer were smokers, some of them had never smoked a cigarette in their lives. Second hand smoke kills too.

MNNHFLTX
05-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Moderator Warning--

I realize that the announcement of Disney World resorts new smoking policy has prompted strong feelings on each side of this issue. But I want to remind everyone--we are all members of the same online community here. If people want to share information about the ins-and-outs of the new policy, that is fine. But every thread should not break down into a smoker vs. non-smoker debate. It's hurtful and divisive and has already been done many, many times before. So let's all stay on track please.

sleepingbooty
05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Since I mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread, I thought I'd give an update. I was very worried that my parents would not take this news well, possibly even to cancelling their reservation (we would still go, of course, but we'd be bummed if they didn't join us). Luckily, they were okay with it. They said they are very excited about the trip and will not let it put a damper on it.:clappy:

kakn7294
05-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Since I mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread, I thought I'd give an update. I was very worried that my parents would not take this news well, possibly even to cancelling their reservation (we would still go, of course, but we'd be bummed if they didn't join us). Luckily, they were okay with it. They said they are very excited about the trip and will not let it put a damper on it.:clappy:
I'm glad it's going to work out for you!

Mariašoš
05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I certainly didn't want to start a debate on this subject. I just wanted to get info out to other smokers so they could hopefully make a better informed decision as to whether keep their reservations or look for other places to stay. I spoke with a great CM the other day when calling to request our rooms to be on the first floor and close to a designated smoking area. The CM (non-smoker so take it with a grain of salt) said it really wouldn't be as bad as everyone is speculating. That there will be many designated area's close at hand at each resort. So, we'll see how that pans out. I would however like to have copies of resort maps that mark where the designated smoking area's will be located well before my vacation so that I'm an informed smoker, can make an informed decision, not break any rules or offend any non-smokers. I would believe non-smokers would like this information as well so they do not go into the designated smoking area's and get all upset that people are smoking in "their" area. The best thing anyone can do is be informed and I find not having this information available to guests as of yet when the policy goes into effect in less than a month not handled very well on Disney's part. The CM did say we're going to see maps with the designated smoking area's posted on all internet sites as soon as they're available.

Piglet's Momma
05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you very much for the information, Maria. Knowing that there will be many designated areas close at hand (although, like you said, I'll take this with a grain of salt right now) makes me feel a little better about this change. Still not great, but it feels like I'll be able to handle the disruptions better.

It also helps a lot in planning- now we're going to push extra hard to get a room as close as we can to a smoking area. Hopefully by the time we go (November 25), Disney will have the kinks ironed out.

I would believe non-smokers would like this information as well so they do not go into the designated smoking area's and get all upset that people are smoking in "their" area.

I hope so, too.

kakn7294
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I certainly didn't want to start a debate on this subject. I just wanted to get info out to other smokers so they could hopefully make a better informed decision as to whether keep their reservations or look for other places to stay.

The best thing anyone can do is be informed and I find not having this information available to guests as of yet when the policy goes into effect in less than a month not handled very well on Disney's part.
Unfortunately, the subject of smoking is always going to cause a debate because people on both sides feel so strongly about it. It's easy for those of us who don't smoke to sit back and condemn smokers and tell them to quit. It's much harder to be a little tolerant and perhaps try to work out an arrangement that is suitable to all involved. I agree with you 100% that it's just as important for some to have this information as it is to have the park hours or dining reservations or information on how baby swap works. Whether we like it or not, this is what's happening and the whole reason we are all here is to be as well informed as we possibly can. The issue at hand isn't about the policy itself, it's about how it's all going to happen (as pointed out, in less than 1 month) as nobody seems to know. Thank you for all of the information you were able to provide Maria!

tink2006
05-08-2007, 09:22 AM

Maybe people are simply trying to decide if they will continue with their vacation plans or will decide on another destination. For a lot of people this is a big deal! Just because it is not important to some people does not mean that it is not important at all. Some people want to follow the rules but we do not know what they are. Waiting to the last minute to decide if you can play by the rules can make people just a little nervous.

MickeyDreamer
05-08-2007, 09:08 PM
This is one of my biggest complaints at the POP there outside smoking area is next to the lobby doors and everytime you go into the lobby its like walking thru a forest fire. UGH! and don't take this the wrong way if you want to smoke thats your right and I dont care. I just don't like walking thru that cloud and think the smoking area should be located someplace other than beside an entry way.

WDW_Obsessed
05-08-2007, 10:26 PM
This is one of my biggest complaints at the POP there outside smoking area is next to the lobby doors and everytime you go into the lobby its like walking thru a forest fire. UGH! and don't take this the wrong way if you want to smoke thats your right and I dont care. I just don't like walking thru that cloud and think the smoking area should be located someplace other than beside an entry way.

I agree:thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
11-21-2008, 01:53 PM

I agree. When we take the grandkids with us, I tell them to hold their breath as we run through the doors. It's a bad location.

pamickeys
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
this thread is from MAY 2007 ! leave the smokers alone already

Granny Jill A
11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
this thread is from MAY 2007 ! leave the smokers alone already

Sorry, Pamickeys!

I didn't realize there was time limit on responses to a posting. I wasn't picking on smokers, but merely commenting on the location of a smoking area.

I was offline for several months taking care of a personal matter, and I was trying to catch up with all the topics. I misread the year, thinking it was a current posting.

big blue and hairy
11-25-2008, 08:22 AM
While it's obviously an old thread, it's also fairly obvious that Granny wasn't picking on smokers, just on the location of the smoking area.

P.S. I hope your personal matters worked out well GJA

:sulley:

Granny Jill A
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
While it's obviously an old thread, it's also fairly obvious that Granny wasn't picking on smokers, just on the location of the smoking area.

P.S. I hope your personal matters worked out well GJA

:sulley:

Thanks for your support, Big Blue! I take it one day at a time :)

badkitty
11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
So I am going to add my :twocents: to this "old" thread. I was given a converted room at CSR last May and it still smelled like a smoker's room with added room freshener to mask it. I wish them luck trying to remove the smoke.