PDA

View Full Version : don't pump gas on the 15th of may

realtreebar
05-04-2007, 04:23 AM
DON'T PUMP GAS MAY 15th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DON'T PUMP GAS ON MAY 15TH THIS IS WORTH A TRY, PEOPLE............. PLEASE. The paper indicated that prices could go as high as $4 per gallon later this year....read on In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents gallon overnight. On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places. There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up. If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of thethoilcompanies' pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day. If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldn't) resend this to all of your contact lists. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th" I'LL BE PARTICIPATING..HOPE ALL OF YOU SEE THE IMPORTANCE AND DO THE SAME! PLEASE.....!!!!!

Ruprect
05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Not so sure about that $3 Billion number because everyone will have to fill up eventually and it will all average back out anyway.

They'd be better off trying to get everyone to bike to work instead. That way you would be using fuel that day.

On the other hand I'll probably be participating seeing as I only fill up probably 4 times a month the odds are in my favor.

Scar
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Claim: Participating in a one-day boycott of gasoline on May 15 will help lower gasoline prices.

BrerSchultzy
05-04-2007, 09:09 AM

Claim: Participating in a one-day boycott of gasoline on May 15 will help lower gasoline prices.

I just came back from Snopes.com to cite the same article. The simple fact is, as much as we want to think we can make an immediate difference, this is not one of those situations. We need to be conserving EVERY DAY! EVERY DAY! EVERY DAY! Don't run your A/C as high, walk down the street, or pick a parking space in the strip mall and stay there for ALL the stores in that strip mall. Plan your shopping to do everything in one day. Car pool. Over time, these things will make a difference. But we're addicted to our cars, the way people are addicted to cigarettes and junk food. You try to cut back, and it takes a lot of concentrating to cut back. But once you give in to the addiction again, you go all the way.

Thank you, and good night.
*descends from his soapbox*

Lucille
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
They'd be better off trying to get everyone to bike to work instead.

Wooo Hooo! Biking to work is fun and good for you!!! I can't remember the last time I drove a car (3-4 years?) and I really couldn't be happier.

I love being slightly confused while in a group having a "can you believe how much gas is in my neighborhood" conversation. Honestly, I never have any idea and that is fine by me!

I'm off to bike to a couple of stores and then to get my hair done.....HOORAY!!!

Marker
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
These's things make no logical sense at all.

Changing the day I purchase gas in no way alters my level of consumption, and therefore does not change how much I spend on gas. What difference does it make if I buy my gas on Monday or Wednesday rather than Tuesday.

Let's see, I resist buying gas on Tuesday, May 15. So on my way to work I run out of gas. I call AAA, they send a truck out to bring me some gas. My stalled car on the highway would undoubtedly cause a slow down of the traffic, which would cause everyone's commute to take longer, requiring their cars to run longer, which would in turn cause even MORE gas to be used. So by not buying gas on that day, I may have just caused MORE gas to be used. Hmmmmm.

On the other hand, if you change your level of consumption, then you are actually changing how much money you spend on gas.

Marker
05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Wooo Hooo! Biking to work is fun and good for you!!!

Goodness, a 37 mile (each way) commute would be kind of tough on a bicycle. And it was raining the last 3 days. And I don't even want to think about it in the snow and ice.

However, telecommuting one day a week, cuts my usage, and expense, by 20%.

Not everyone can telecommute, and not everyone can ride a bicycle..... but I'll wager everyone could find something to do.

TiggerRPh
05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
This is just silly to be kind. Not buying gas for one day but buying it the day before or the day after will have zero effect on any oil company.

If you want to have some effect...change your driving habits and lifestyle and use less gas.

poeticeclipse
05-05-2007, 07:56 AM
If you want to have some effect...change your driving habits and lifestyle and use less gas.

Amen!

Ian
05-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Obviously, this is silly ... We'd all just have to buy gas on the 16th ... or the 17th ... or whatever. As everyone has already said, unless you change the base amount of your consumption it won't change anything.

Last time prices went this high, the market swung into action and prices plummeted over $1 a gallon on reduced demand. We can do the same thing again. We just got lazy.

Like Marker, I've been telecommuting to work one day a week for awhile now and I plan to continue doing it. My wife is expecting to be able to telecommute full time starting later this year, which will save us a ton on gas.

BronxTigger
05-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I take mass transit. :thumbsup:

sleepingbooty
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I wonder what a difference it would make if instead of buying a big SUV, we all bought cars with better gas mileage. I'm not even talking expensive hybrids or small cars like Civics and Corrollas. Just something a little better, like a minivan. Going from 13 mpg to 23, and you can still fit everyone in.... Just a thought.

2Epcot
05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
A general boycott of gas on one day will not work. Like others have said, people will just have to buy it on another day. The only thing that might have an impact would be if there was an organized boycott of one of the largest oil/gas companies. Everyone buys gas from some place else. Unfortunately, people are used to getting their gas from the same place and that most likely wouldn't work either. I'd personally like to see a deadline given to the automakers for zero emission vehicles, cars that are either 100% electric, or use some other non-toxic fuel. If the car manufactures say that can't make that 10-15 year deadline they are given, they should be told, I guess you won't be making cars anymore.

Pop Centurion
05-05-2007, 11:52 PM
The only thing that might have an impact would be if there was an organized boycott of one of the largest oil/gas companies. Everyone buys gas from some place else. Unfortunately, people are used to getting their gas from the same place and that most likely wouldn't work either.Not related to the rising fuel costs but I already boycott Texaco for being a racist organization. I also boycott Chevron which owns Texaco for it's destruction of the Rainforest In Ecuador. This includes products sold by those companies.