PDA

View Full Version : Sending luggage to resort UPS ahead

bmj721
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I was reading on a website about sending the luggage ahead via UPS or another carrier instead of relying on the airlines and then just bringing a small carry-on. I realize it could be pricey. Does anyone have actual experiance with this? We have sent boxes home for the past 3 trips and it worked out great. I just haven't ever sent the suitcase on before me. We leave the end of May.
:confused:

Beast_fanatic
05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I've heard of others sending boxes of supplies (like snacks or diapers) ahead of time, and of sending boxes of dirty clothes home, but I haven't heard of anyone doing exactly as you've suggested. Hopefully, if someone has done this, they'll be along soon with details...

KylesMom
05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Although I've never sent actual luggage UPS or FedEx, I regularly send large travel cases and portfolios for work-related trade shows and such so I have some experience with this. In fact, I just sent 200+ pounds of items to Orlando for the National Hardware Show next week via FedEx ground - too bad I'm not going with the shipment! ;)

Realizing that each suitcase you send is going to be in between 20-50 pounds, and possibly be considered "oversized" by the carriers, my opinion is that the cost would be more of a burden than transporting it with you on the plane. After all, that's part of what you're paying for with your ticket.

Yes, my family does send a large box down with snacks and other travel-related items via FedEx 3-day delivery which is considered Ground, but it still adds up. We also religiously have boxes of souvenirs sent back by World of Disney - but once again, the weight and size limits are not prohibitive.

One last thing . . . just because you're sending your luggage ahead of time doesn't mean that it will arrive in pristine condition - or won't get lost. I can't tell you how many times I've sent cases which "disappear" for a few days and not make deadline, or durable bags which the zippers break open in shipment and items become "lost", never to be found again. In short, I wouldn't recommend it.

bmj721
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
I appreciate your imput. I hadn't planned solidly to go with this, but since I had just read about it I thought I'd see if anyone had been there. I've flown more times than I can use fingers and toes and have never had luggage not be there on arrival. So, I'm pretty much planning on going with tradition. Yet, it's good to gather data and update possibilities.
Thanks.