PDA

View Full Version : Genealogy

Speedy1998
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Any one here intrested in Genealogy? If so where do you find information?

I have been researching my family for the last few weeks, with some sucess, but I seem to have hit alot of dead ends now.

Diznee4Me
05-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I've been researching several lines for quite a few years.

Your state archives would be a great place to start if your ancestors have been living in your home state for a while. My family has beein in SC since the 1780's, before the first 1790 census, so I was lucky.

Find out if there is a newsletter about "your" family name. Subscribing to a newsletter that deals with variations of the name you are lookng for info on can allow you to get in touch with people researching the same name. Most people come across info they don't need/can't use but are more than willing to share. These types of newsletters allow you to advertise your interests and ask for help. You can usually do a search on the web and see if such a newsletter exists.

Local genealogical societies usually have a pretty good record/research library of local families and local history.

Your local newspaper may also have a searchable database. Our local newspaper was established in 1788 so I have found a lot of info on my early ancestors.

Of course there a lot of web seaches you can subscribe to for $.

Good luck!
:thumbsup:

PirateLover
05-05-2007, 02:08 AM
My mom got very invested in researching our genealogy about a year or so ago. Both sides of my family are 50% Lithuanian and the other 50% is a mixture. I am a 4th generation American. After exhausting the local outlets, She got some pretty decent results from subscribing to ancestry.com. Genealogy is a beautiful, wonderful thing. Good luck!

drummerboy
05-05-2007, 07:24 AM
She got some pretty decent results from subscribing to ancestry.com.
I subscribed to them for a while and they do have a huge database from a lot of sources.

My problem is that my mother was adopted and although we know her real mother's name and where she lived, we have to pick up on records from over eighty years ago that are hard to find.

crazypoohbear
05-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Ellis Island has a web site also. Sometimes you can just google the name you are looking for and lots of things pop up