PDA

View Full Version : DVC promo question

Simba 1
05-02-2007, 05:39 AM
My family is considering a DVC purchase. The current promotion is $10 off per point (points now cost $104, or $94 with disocunt). Also, if we buy this year, Disney gives us last year's points to use. In other words, if we buy 200 points now, we actually get 400 points (like we banked last year) but those 200 points expire this year. My question is, are these somewhat standard promotions? We're not sure if we want to purchase now or next year and this might help us make a timing decision.

Thanks to everyone who posted both positives and negatives of DVC purchase, it has been very informative.

Maleficent's Dad
05-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Points to use and the discount? That's pretty good overall! :mickey:

When we added on points from SSR a few years ago, they had a promotion about extra points that you could use that year. We had our 175, added 125, and they gave us an additional 125. Wow! That was a banner year for us! ;)

We added that year because the promotion was no annual dues for the remainder of that year (we added on in the summer) and the additional points (like you're receiving).

I don't know what's "standard," per se, but it sounds like a good deal as far as DVC is concerned.

locodemickey
05-02-2007, 08:58 AM
What is the minimum points you can add on to get this promotion?

lockedoutlogic
05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
I think some wires got crossed up here...it is probably the $10.00 a point discount OR the additional years worth of points....not both

That would be inline with the promos they have run for saratoga....and I believe consistent with all the previous promotions they have done with DVC.....

I would double check that before hopes are raised...

locodemickey
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Simba 1, where did you get your information?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I just double checked with my DH, when we joined DVC in Feb. we also got $$($10) off per point AND the bonus points.
In our case we were given 150 bonus points, so we now have 300, 150 of which have to be used by the end of our use year or banked.

HTH and does not just add to the confusion...lol.

locodemickey
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Again,:blush: what is the minimum add-on purchase for this deal?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM

We had to purchase a minimum of 150 points if that is what you are asking. :confused:

locodemickey
05-02-2007, 02:51 PM
We are already members and own 170 pts but I was interested in adding more on. I would like to know the minimum that you can buy for that deal. I think that the normal amount is 25 pts minimum if you don't finance, but would they give you an extra 25 pts (last year's pts) and $10 off for that few points?

TexasPrincessAurora
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
It is the $10 off per point AND last years points as an incentive, if you purchase at SSR. I believe it was only $8 off per point if you purchase the Villas at the AKL. We just joined while on our Disney Cruise last week and received this package. Great deal! We're heading back in June to use some of our 2006 points.

Maleficent's Dad
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM
That would be inline with the promos they have run for saratoga....
They did indeed offer the bonus point and "discount" about three years ago when we added points on at SSR. It was the standard promo for all at the time.

As far as the minimum, I'm not sure what you'd need to add on for the promotions. Three years ago, in order to get the discount and bonus points, you needed to add on 120 points as a minimum.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
We are already members and own 170 pts but I was interested in adding more on. I would like to know the minimum that you can buy for that deal. I think that the normal amount is 25 pts minimum if you don't finance, but would they give you an extra 25 pts (last year's pts) and $10 off for that few points?

I could be mistaken, but I think we had the minimum for our deal at 150 points. I am sure that varies with the amount you purchase but it was not less then 150. I would call your DVC rep or maybe someone here knows the answer better then me.

Simba 1
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi all, DH and I attended an open house while we were at WDW last week and got this promo information from the sales rep. He said it was Disney's way of helping families start off who might only afford the minimum points. (I assume with the hope that they will get used to the additional points and add on.) The paperwork I have just shows the initial purchase of 160 points on up, it doesn't say anything about add on points. I would suggest you contact DVC with your specific questions. From the responses, I gather this is a pretty good deal. Thanks everyone!

lockedoutlogic
05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi all, DH and I attended an open house while we were at WDW last week and got this promo information from the sales rep. He said it was Disney's way of helping families start off who might only afford the minimum points. (I assume with the hope that they will get used to the additional points and add on.) The paperwork I have just shows the initial purchase of 160 points on up, it doesn't say anything about add on points. I would suggest you contact DVC with your specific questions. From the responses, I gather this is a pretty good deal. Thanks everyone!

That's a pretty nice little sobber story the guy told you....but DVC certainly isn't thinking "we should really help the struggling family afford a rather expensive timeshare that isn't really affordable for anyone classified as "struggling""....

DVC is not cheap by any stretch...if for the 800+ maintenance fees you have to pay annually alone...

What they are doing....is attempting to resweeten the pot so they can get rid of Saratoga and concentrate all sales on Animal Kingdom....

Still...it is a good deal...not all that much different than the 15 a point we got when we purchased in November...but a good deal nonetheless...

mook3y
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think we had the minimum for our deal at 150 points. I am sure that varies with the amount you purchase but it was not less then 150. I would call your DVC rep or maybe someone here knows the answer better then me.

if you are a first time buyer. 150 points is the minimum. If you already own, the minimum they will fianance is 50. If you already own and pay cash, you can purchase 25 points and up.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
if you are a first time buyer. 150 points is the minimum. If you already own, the minimum they will fianance is 50. If you already own and pay cash, you can purchase 25 points and up.

Right, but, is the discount on points AND the bonus points on all increments of points or is there a minimum to get that deal?? I think that is what we are trying to figure out.
In other words, if I call tomorrow and ask to buy another 50 points in cash, will I get the $10 off each point and the bonus 50 points for a total of 100?? Or, do I have to purchase another 150 points??

Does that make sense?? :confused:

locodemickey
05-03-2007, 09:11 AM
It makes sense to me...that is exactly what I am trying to find out.:thumbsup:

mook3y
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah, sorry, I should of been clear that I had no clue if the "Bonus" would apply. I was just giving the facts on minimum purchases.

Hopefully someone comes along soon and answers that question!

We want to pick up a few more points ourselves.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
It makes sense to me...that is exactly what I am trying to find out.:thumbsup:

LOL...I thought so. Now you have me curious. I really think it was a minimum of 150 when we bought in to get that deal.
:)

richardsa98
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Actually, 160 is the minimum number of points you can buy now. They increased it in February (or a month relatively close in proximity to that).:)

mikeandkarla
05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi all, new member to this site. I believe the "bonus points" in question are your allotment of points from 2006. If you are a new member and buy in now you will get a UY of OCT, NOV, or DEC. You would be getting 2006 points for those UY. When OCt, NOV, or DEC 2007 comes, you get your allotment of points again. Buying add ons through Disneys works the same way.:mickey:

rsumrall
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Despite the deals and incentives that DVC runs, I think the better deal is still through the resale market. We just purchased and got 210 pts to be used immediately, 85 banked points from 2006, and a 210 pt contract at $19 less a point than Disney is charging at rack rates. I'd definitely check that market out before purchasing from Disney to get an idea of what is out there. I think Intercot has a partnership with the Timeshare store, but there are others too.

locodemickey
05-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I just talked to my guide, Randy Cook, and he said that the minimum add-on for the deal is 50 pts and only at SS not AKL.:mickey:

princessjojo
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
We purchased this year and received the $10 off per point and the 2006 points. I think the point aren't "bonus points" per se, but are acutally the 2006 points as you are still in the 2006 use year, as the new use year doesn't come until December. We have to bank 2006 points by May 31 or plan use them or lose them, but we didn't purchase 200 and get 200 bonus each year.

I guess what I am trying to say is that depending when the DVC was purchased, on your use year and points availability. Again, we purchased with a Dec. use year so we still have 2006 points and in Dec, we get new points, not necessarily bonus points.

xwdpuzzler
05-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I know in this thread we have been talking about adding point, but this brought a question to mind, when you add on points are they points allocated when the first points were purchased or do they end at a different time.

example, I purchased my original points in August/2005, if I add on points say in February are they lumped into the my anniversery date in August or are the alotted from the time of purchase?

thanks