PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose or Sci-fi???

Braxtonsmom03
05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
were trying to figure out which one to go to! i know that they seem to be 2 different type of places and that sci-fi lacks in the food department a bit but... sci-fi looks so fun to us. I guess my main concern is my husband and I are not tiny people:blush: so I'm worried how the seating will be in the car?? any help I woul dgreatly appreciate it:mickey:

TIA
Tiffany

maryt01
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
mama melrose changed it's menu. therefore we are doing sci fi. better menu at dinner than amama melrose. I HEAR THAT SCI FI IS FUN.:cloud9:

rblais1968
05-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Sci/Fi is fun, and the cars are larger then they would seem. Kids loved sitting in the back seat watching the old sci/fi clips on the big screen.

Kate In Wonderland
05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Mama Melrose's is nice, but Sci-Fi is a great! Especially for families. My DH and I never miss eating there when we're at MGM. It's so much fun! (and they have great oreo shakes!).

I'm quite "curvy" and I never have a problem with the seats, I had plenty of room. As others have said, the seats are bigger than they seem. I also saw a man once who I swore was a professional football player. He was a big guy and very tall and he slid right into the seats with no problem at all!

Go there, it's a great experience!!!

AuntLaura
05-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Sci-Fi. They do have a couple picnic tables at the back. Also have one "car" that has chairs. When you check in at the desk ask and see what they say .

LovinWDW
05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I'll give another vote to Sci-Fi. We've been to both but always go back to Sci-Fi. It may be the best themed rest. at disney.

Mom2princesses
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not all that impressed with Mama Melrose's food. So I would defintely agree with the others... Have fun at Sci-Fi

Donald A
05-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Did Mama Melrose a few years ago before the dining plan. Did Sci-fi last trip on dining plan. We have no children, but agree that Mama Melrose's was much better. Sci-fi seating stinks and the movies really were not that entertaining. Food was OK on the dining plan I guess. Mama Melrose's we paid out of pocket and my wife even made a scrapbook page out of that experience (Of course, it was our honeymoon too).

GreenBeetle
05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
We never miss Sci-Fi. Sure the food isn't outstanding, and the movie clips are somewhat repetitive . . . but the atmosphere can't be beat! :cool:

c&d
05-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Sci-Fi. It's just such a fun place to eat. Watching all those old movie clips. We love. We've always had good food there and when we were down in April, the service was excellent.

We also ate at Mama Melrose's in April and enjoyed the meal.

The food was good but the atmosphere can't compare with Sci-Fi.

Word of warning it was freezing in the restaurant when we ate there. The AC was blasting.

biodtl
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Sci-Fi is so much fun. We're not "tiny" either (me-14 and him XL) and didn't have a problem.

Pop Centurion
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
We ate at Mama Melrose back in '99 and wasn't impressed at all. I know the menu's changed since but it seems like others still feel the same. Another vote for Sci-fi :thumbsup: Fun experience.

angedeaile
05-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow..I am surprised there are no positive comments about Mama Melrose.

I thought Sci-Fi was okay. My DLB loved the car tables, but he got tired of the films fast. I think it was because it was commercials and movie promos instead of actual shows.

The food was okay. It wasn't anything too special, hamburger and shakes kinda thing. Nothing to rave about, but still had a good time...more so than Hollywood and Vine.

I am still waiting for some love for Mama Melrose though. I planned on eating there for the fantasmic package on my next trip. Never ate there before, but I am questioning my choice. Maybe I should change to the brown derby...hmm...another thread for another day.

Braxtonsmom03
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I just wan tto say thankyou to everyone that posted back SO fast! that was my first post on intercot and I have to say I'm very glad I found this website:thumbsup: :mickey:
Thankyou

Natazu
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT Tiffany and Braxton.

OK, everyone get your calendar out. I think for your situation, Sci-Fi would be the best choice... (pause for gasps). You seem well informed about the level of food quality at Sci-Fi and are correct about the restaurant being fun. I fit in the cars and I'm not small but the tables in the cars are little. So, as long as you're prepared, give it a shot.

Jeff T
05-04-2007, 09:56 AM
We enjoy eating lunch at Mama Melrose with our two boys. The pizzas, and salads are good as well as the appetizers. It's a quiet place with good friendly service.

We typically visit Mama Melrose after viewing the Lights Motors Action stunt show. It's a great place to cool off and enjoy a good famly lunch.

We've been to SciFi in the past, but did not care too much for the food. We felt there were better choices of fastfood style food at other counter service places in MGM.

tinksmom02
05-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT Tiffany and Braxton.

OK, everyone get your calendar out. I think for your situation, Sci-Fi would be the best choice... (pause for gasps). You seem well informed about the level of food quality at Sci-Fi and are correct about the restaurant being fun. I fit in the cars and I'm not small but the tables in the cars are little. So, as long as you're prepared, give it a shot.

I just made ADR's for Sci-Fi today...I know the food isn't great, but I think DD will love the atmosphere, and I'm just planning on doing apps and shakes. I think I remember someone mentioning onion rings...Plus, I'm going into it KNOWING that the food can be notoriously bad, so my expectations won't be too high :)

I considered MM's, but then I thought about the weather when we'll be there (HOT), and thought that Italian might be a little heavy for us then.

So I was excited to read this thread today!

Jared
05-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano was the surprise of our January vacation. My family went into the meal expecting mediocre food before Fantasmic!. We left completely satisfied.

Consider a snack, drink or dessert at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. The atmosphere is fun, but the food is bad. It's fun to sit in the cars for a little while, but a disappointing dinner may overshadow even the best of decor.