PDA

View Full Version : Say something nice about Coral Reef, Please.

Lynn J Mc
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
We have an ADR to eat there in 3 weeks. It always seems to get negative reviews. Convince me I haven't made a mistake. We've never eaten there before.

SBETigg
05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
The atmosphere is great. Watching the fish is soothing and fun. I've heard great things about the chocolate wave dessert.

Strmchsr
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
We have an ADR to eat there in 3 weeks. It always seems to get negative reviews. Convince me I haven't made a mistake. We've never eaten there before.

It has great atmosphere and the food isn't bad at all. It got a lot of bad knocks when they were charging 2 TS on the dining plan for it. It's definitely not worth that. Most folks seem to think the portions are too small, but I like it. I think it's a good meal (not the best in WDW, but not awful) with great atmosphere.

Disnamic Duo
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
We ate there for the first time last Sept (on dining plan). It was our best meal of the week. The food and service were both excellent. I had the tuna - my wife had the New York Strip. And the chocolate wave dessert was fantastic! We'll go back for sure. It was an especially good deal on the dining plan. What would have been a very expensive meal otherwise cost us just 1 credit apiece.

Stickey
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
We enjoyed the Coral Reef last September. The steaks were very good and the chocolate wave was excellent. Service was fine.

A table downstairs by the aquarium is recommended. It is fun to watch the sharks, turtles, and fish.

DVC2004
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
We ate there last September and really enjoyed it. We sat right up by the tank. We were there for lunch and I had lobster bisque (excellent), the caesar salad with fried scallops (again, excellent) and warm pineapple upside down cake for dessrt (another excellent). Our server was great, too. Enjoy!

ElenitaB
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
We had dinner there last November... the lobster bisque was great, the ahi tuna entree was great and dessert (the chocolate wave) would have been even better than it was had I not been full already by the time it arrived! We had a great CM and even though we were seated on the top tier, we still really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I guess the best tribute I can make to the Coral Reef is that it's on our list of places we want to visit when we return this December.

the real Alice
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I was there a month ago for the very first time and loved it. i was a little worried too after the reviews, but out of 4 adults none of us had anything bad and the service was great. My mahi-mahi was excellent and the chocolate wave was to die for! man i'm drooling just thinking about it!

mrp4352
05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Key Lime Martinis!!:marg:

dolphinmickey9170
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
We had a great CM and even though we were seated on the top tier, we still really enjoyed the atmosphere.
Is the top better than lower seating? I have never been and we will be going next week. Can I request a specific area?

2MuchWDFun
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
"Is the top better than lower seating? I have never been and we will be going next week. Can I request a specific area?"

You can see the fishies and such from anywhere in the restaurant. The seating is tiered so you won't have a head blocking your view. I've sat at the top tier which is farthest from the aquarium (if you haven't seen the aquarium it encompasses the back wall of the restaurant) and a table for 2 right next to it. We enjoyed both. The only negative I can mention about being right up against the glass is that there can be some distortion.

BTW: our meal and service were excellent last September. The ahi tuna is out of this world, I didn't think I would like it, but it was the best meal I had all week! Get the Wave...'nuf said!

Seasonscraps
05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
DH & I went there is December - I thoroughly enjoyed my meal! The service was attentive but not rushed. The acquarium was cool - there's a card on the table with the types of fish that are in the tank so we were trying to find them all.

firefan43
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Ive never eaten there, but I hear that they have a great steak! I read it in one of the many WDW guide books I have purchased over the years.

oooh, and it sure is pretty! :)

by the way, does anyone find it creepy eating fish while other fish swim around on the other side of some glass. are they thinking "mom, is that you??" hehe :D

grego77
05-01-2007, 05:36 PM
has YUMMY (or as Rachael Ray would say "YUMMO") been used yet? No?? Ok...I'll say that...:cool:

...and of course the place is gorgeous and the food is outstanding. :mickey:

bobpfef
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
It was one of our families favorite places when we were there. The steak was wonderful according to my wife, I thought the Tilapia was awesome and my son really enjoyed the salmon. The service was also top notch, some of the best we had our entire trip. We can't wait to go back.

bigbabyblues
05-01-2007, 06:18 PM
DH and I had dinner at CR on our anniversary trip and it was great! The service was really, really good, the food was good, we had no complaints at all. It was one of the best meals of our trip!

Mickey91
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
It was one of our favorites!! Watch for the great big grouper!! I was amazed!! We ate there for the first time in Dec and have booked it again for Sept!! ENJOY!!!

Funcruiser56
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
We had never thought to eat here because we don't eat seafood. We wanted to change one of our ADR's and looked at the menu because we had seen the inside of the resturant and thought it was cool. The menue suited us since they served steak, chicken and veg.
3 of us had the steak and it was the best steak of our trip, DD had the chicken and enjoyed it alot too. A vareity of deserts- the wave was YUMMMMM. We have made another ADR for our trip next month.. Service was execellent!!

As to the seating, I would not want to sit at the tables right up at the tank. We observed other guests crowding around peoples tables while they ate to look at the fish. We thought this was so rude, especially when every table can see fine. We sat in a booth across from these tables and enjoyed our spot. We will request to not be seated right at the tank

You will enjoy your dinner and sea view here.

Bev

2disneyfans
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
DH and I had eaten there for the first time last year. I think we were a little bit caught of guard because we had looked at menus on the internet and had not realized the possibility that what was on the internet may not be exactly what was on the menu in the restaurant. We were expecting a lot of variety in shellfish being on the menu for main entrees. Instead, many of the seafood selections were regular fish. We both found selections that we liked and had a good meal. We were seated on a middle level of the restaurant and had a perfectly good view of the tank. :mickey:

pixiegoose
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
We ate at CR on our honeymoon last July and LOVED it! We were seated at a table for 2 next to the aquarium and it was so much fun watching the fish and turtles swim by. The best part is that I had told them it was our honeymoon when I made our ADR and they has personalized menus waiting for us!! It was great! There was just a slight problem- instead of saying "Happy Honeymoon, Mr. & Mrs. P!", it said "Happy Honeymoon, Mr. & Mrs. S!". "
S" is my maiden name and "P" is my married name. Since I had made the ADR before the wedding, I had used my maiden name and they thought it was my married name! Hubby was very amused. ;) We have an ADR there for our trip in September and I can't wait to have the mahi-mahi again. :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
05-01-2007, 10:42 PM
We ate at Coral Reef for first time in Dec. 06.
I loved it!! Great food and service! Love the atmosphere and the huge aquarium! Have reservations for our trip in Sept. Enjoy!!:mickey:

MsMin
05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Another :thumbsup: here.We've gone in Dec. 06 and 05. It's one of our favorites. I'm not a huge fish fan and had the tilapia the first time and NY Strip the second. Last trip our grp enjoyed the Strip, the Tuna and the Grouper. the lobster bisque is one of my favorites and the chocolate wave is great. We've sat on the tank and @ the top we had a great time both times. We did get to interact with the divers when at the bottom but didn't miss that at the top. Always had excellent service.

Lynn J Mc
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I feel much better about our choice now. I have always wanted to eat here because of the atmosphere and now look forward to the food!

John
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Simply put - one of my favorite restaurants on property along with the Flying Fish and California Grill.

Hows that for a good review?

poeticeclipse
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Coral Reef is a place that you just have to take a leap of faith with. For some people it's hit and miss. My family and I dined at Coral Reef last June and everyone loved the entire meal. I had the flounder with wasabi potatoes. Now, let me just say that I didn't know what wasabi was before I ordered it. Boy, did I have a surprise when it tasted like horseradish(which I hate)!! It was no big deal, I just didn't eat the potatoes. The fish was great, though! You MUST order the lobster bisque and the chocolate wave. Fav app. and fav dessert right there!!!:D

Natazu
05-03-2007, 03:07 AM
"this is the best dessert in the world", Rachel

"the grilled mahi is fabulous", Jym

"fish, fish, fish... everywhere fish!", Stacie

rsumrall
05-03-2007, 10:51 AM
The Chocolate Wave is good enough to make me forget the HORRIBLE service...

SurferStitch
05-03-2007, 12:53 PM
DH and I ate there for the first time this past December, and we were pleasantly surprised.

We had a table right next to the tank, and a sea turtle that liked watching us eat almost our entire meal. A shark also visited us often.

Food and service were great, but you could tell the servers were rushed a little. I should have had the crab claws or bisque for an appetizer, but I got the seafood crab souffle appetizer. Word of warning....DON'T. It tasted great, but the texture was wierd...too processed and compressed. Mahi was fabulous, and DH loved his steak. Chocolate wave for me (:cloud9: ), and cheesecake for DH (he's a cheesecake junkie).

I think we'll skip it this trip for something new, but we'll definitely go there again in the future.

Brooklynos
05-03-2007, 01:49 PM
My DH and I have eaten here the past 2 trips and have really enjoyed it. The food is pretty good, not Le Cellier good to us, but good. We have always had good service and take our time to enjoy the view. Chocolate wave is to die for. If you try it and don't like it, don't go back. We ate at San Angel Inn once and I really was not a big fan (my DH said it was good for him), so we don't eat there very often. We love Coral Reef and Le Cellier and don't miss them in our trips. To each their own...:mickey:

luvdiznee
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
The lobster bisque and the aquarium are enough for us to go back. Enjoy! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Simply put - one of my favorite restaurants on property along with the Flying Fish and California Grill.

Hows that for a good review?
Couldn't have said it better - and I am a huge fish eater!

I've never understood the negative reviews of the Coral Reef. DW and I ate there together for the first time in February of 1992. We have dined there - almost annually - every year since.

Mahi is wonderful.
Ahi (tuna) is fabulous.
DW has had numerous (white fish type) entrees. She's picky about her shrimp, fish, and clams, yet loves the place.

Something sadistic about eating fish and watching them swim around the place... :scratch:

Service has been wonderful.
Oh, and seating - sure, the lowest tier is the best (being "against the glass"), but there really is NO bad view in the place! :mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
This thread has made me want to change oe of our ADRs in September to the Coral Reef. Unfortunately, I was told last night they were completely booked for 9/20 (thanks, Free DDP). Guess I'll have to keep trying.

Brenle
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry...I was the only one in a party of 4 that "liked" the meal. My fish was so-so. The lobster bisque was fantastic, though. Everyone else thought it was the worst meal they had at WDW. Maybe they were having an off day.

The atmosphere can't be beat. Watching the sea life while you're dining is fascinating. One other thing. We had reservations at 4:30 and we weren't seated until 5:40. Wasn't very happy with that. And no, we we weren't late for our reservations, either.

mook3y
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
It's at WDW, it is in Epcot, your on vacation.......

:cloud9:

Brenle
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Even more of a reason to expect a good meal!:mickey:

PixiePrincess
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
My husband and I love this restaurant. We eat here on each trip. Excellent atmosphere and pretty good food :thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
05-05-2007, 09:19 AM
We couldn't get in the Coral Reef during our trip. However, one of my coworkers eats there every time she goes to Disney. She's into gourmet food and grew up on the Jersey Shore so she has a very good taste for good fish. She highly recommends the restaurant.

HereWeGO
05-06-2007, 08:34 AM
We don't eat at many TS restaurants (leaves more $ for buying :mickey: stuff!) but Coral Reef is always on our 'must eat at' list. True, the food's probably good rather than great, but the atmosphere and the view are fantastic.
Where else can you watch sharks and sea turtles while waiting for your food?
Two thumbs way up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mouseaddict
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
We just had lunch there today...I had never been there before. We had a terrific lunch..walked in with no ADR..no wait. DS5 loved the big tanks and it kept him busy through the entire meal. I had the Mahi Mahi over polenta and it was to die for..DH had the NY strip...he loved it. The lobster bisque is to die for. I did not have enough room for the chocolate wave...but I will go back for sure! This was a really nice meal.