PDA

View Full Version : To Eat or Not TO Eat at AKERSHAUS?

Nicki'sMom
05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Can you guys give me the scoop on the food at Akershaus? I'm hearing it is not good. We are mainly going for the princesses but is dinner worse than breakfast? I have ADR's for dinner but I'm thinking of changing my ressie all together.HELP!

Disney Doll
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
We did the princess breakfast there a couple of years ago and really liked it. At breakfast you get a home style skillet meal with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes. Plus there is fresh fruit and cinnamon rolls. At lunch and dinner they serve traditional Norwegian foods. Some people like it and some do not. If you or someone in your party is a picky eater you might want to stick with breakfast.

mouseaddict
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
It really comes down to what you like. I really enjoyed our lunch here. There were los of friendly princesses (including Cinderella!!!..though this is rare)
The food was fantastic. Love the trout and my friend loves the lamb.Study the menu, see if something looks good to you...then decide. I personally would go here over CRT any day..and I have been to both.
Good luck!

StillSimbaGirl
05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I prefer lunch or dinner - I've never enjoyed any "family style" food at WDW like breakfast at Akershus.

Basically, you just need one dish for each family member.

I get either the short ribs or the fish (I think it's cod). Both are fine. DD8 gets the pasta.

It's not a menu I LOVE or anything - but the princesses are great and I'm perfectly okay with the entrees above.

magickingdom67
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
We have never done the breakfast here but have done lunch here every trip and found it great. The interaction was excellent as well.:mickey:

Hayden's Dad
05-01-2007, 04:43 PM
My DW and I ate here a couple of years ago, and to be honest we really did not like it. The food wasn't very good, and that's the first time I have ever said that about a Disney restraunt. We ate there for dinner since it was another "castle", and very dissapointed.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-01-2007, 05:15 PM
We love Akershus!! :thumbsup:

We have eaten there the past two years for dinner.
It is our only ADR and character meal for our trip this September.
Even my picky DH and boys liked their meals there. (We go there for our 3 year old Princess)
They were very good about making one of the children's meals an adult meal for my DH when he was not too sure about anything on the regular menu.
The Princess interaction is great. We saw Belle, Jasmine, Cinderella (both years) and Snow White in the dining hall, with Ariel in the front for a photo our last trip.

We are happy we gave Akershus a try.

rjmdds
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
We had lunch there and I must say I personally wasn't too thrilled with the meal. I do enjoy trying new types of food and have a very open mind about food. But the lunch menu just didn't appeal to me. I like the idea of oding a breakfast there though! Does anyone know if the princesses vary much from breakfast to lunch to dinner??

DestinationWDW
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
We ate here twice prior to princess dining and haven't been back BECAUSE of princess dining. We LOVED the food there. Nice variety, great atmosphere, friendly servers.

Crow
05-01-2007, 08:24 PM
when it was Old Skool it was one of my favorites for lunch. had the Koldbort and the Hot.
then the Hotbordt went away and they went to the all u care to eat from the 6 or so entrees, one at a time.
then the princesses invaded breakfast, but not lunch yet. and i tried it and the server and food were only ok.
but since its been awhile, i am using the dining plan and having my first character meal ever.
at AKershus
w princesses....and ill b solo
hmmmm:cool:
the cold buffet was still good from what i remember, Jarlsberg cheese, salmon , meats ,salad
the :beer: isnt as good. used to b Ringes now its Carlsberg.
but i will see in 30 days or so what its like.

AuntLaura
05-01-2007, 08:55 PM
We had Thanksgiving day lunch there. I was surprised, expecting a "Norwegian" food buffet. There is a small buffet for your appetizer. I have to admit I wasn't impressed with that. The menu was very nice, however, with a range of foods on it. I had their turkey dinner, which I think was special for the day. It was excellent. My friends all enjoyed their meals. With the princesses coming around the room to greet the guests, it can be a little chaotic.

tiaramom
05-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Here is the scoop on the Norway Princess Story book Restaurant. Our family dines here every visit to disney 3x a year. The food is nontraditional - meaning, it is not what we are use to as Americans . It is traditional Nowegian fare. It is tasty and very unique. The wait staff is also from Norway- and super sweet to serve you. The dishes are : Buffet , one item I really enjoy is the shrinp cold salad. The cheeses spreads are real good too. Desserts are fab. = they are preplated with 3 tastings to enjoy.. so very enjoyable to the palate. My little Princess doesnt really eat to much here - she is under three, eats off our cold buffet plates. It is really exciting for them to see the Royalty walk about the dining room. They had so many Princesses last time we were there, Cinderella too! Its a nice atmosphere to spend a night eating with your royal family and theirs. Love it- and will go back each time we visit.

FriendsofMickey
05-02-2007, 07:41 AM
We have done akershuas twice. The first time 2005 we did lunch here and were not thrilled with it... actually really disliked the food. We chalked it up to not liking Norwegian food. Lesson learned.
Last September we did Breakfast here. My girls wanted Breakfast with the princesses and I was assured that it was good. I will go as far as to say I was told that it was like all the other breakfasts. I expected pancakes as an option, but there were not any. My girls would not eat a bite of any of it. (I also noticed the little boy next to us being yelled at by his parents because he would not eat). We were buying this out of pocket so it cost us around $90 with tip. Ouch! We left very unhappy.
If you and your party like eggs, potatoes, and bacon. Then breakfast would not be a bad idea. Be warned that the cinamon rolls were not the moist cinnamon rolls that we were expecting either. They were very dry.

I have to say that the server was very nice and timely and the princess interaction was good; but the food turned us off. We will not be eating another meal there.

If your party like different foods, then by all means give it a try. But, if you are picky, I suggest you really study the menu, before you keep the ressies.

disneydaisy
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
We ate here in 2004 for the princess breakfast. My DD(then4), mom and I loved it. The atmosphere was great, breakfast was good and my DD had a lot of "Princess time". We also went to the CRT but enjoyed Akershaus much more. Our next trip to Disney World is in October and this was one of the first ADR's I made. DD(now 7) wanted this over the CRT.

em-n-mia's-mommy
05-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I personally have never dined here but dh's cousins just returned the day before easter and had dined there and they said it was nice atmosphere but the worst food they ever tasted.

disneyfan328
05-04-2007, 10:20 PM
We have not eaten here, but did have ADR's for a Princess Bkfst. After reading this post and looking over the menu, we have decided against eating here and cancelled our ADR. We checked the menu and being that all they really offer for bkfst is eggs, potatoe caserole and bacon/sausage, we didn't feel it was going to be worth the money. I mean , maybe seeing the princesses during the meal would be, but not if my kids aren't going to eat anything. I am hoping that we will be able to find most of them either at CRT which we have adr's for, or around the world in EPCOT. We have opted for a bkfst with Chef Mickey and Friends instead. There is a huge difference in what is offered and lots of regular favorites there for my kids, plus it will give us an excuse to ride the monorail!!

merlinmagic4
05-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I guess I am in the minority in thinking the food was better than the princess interaction! We must have gone on bad day (they were behind schedule) but it was a huge disappointment and it was my daughter's birthday. I was very sad for her.