PDA

View Full Version : May Healthy Living Club

JanetMegan
05-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Welcome to May and the true beginning of the Spring/Summer Season! Now is a great time to step up that outside exercise program...

Also a great time for fresh fruits and veggies to start coming in.

Hope everyone has a great healthy May!

AmBo
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
May is crunch time before we all have to get in those bathing suits this summer. We all know with some dedication we can all do it! :thumbsup:

My new workout plan is one that I'm in love with. I have a Nintendo Wii and here it is:
I ride my bicycle trainer for 5 miles (~15min) and play Wii Tennis and Bowling to pass the time.
Then I get on the treadmill and run @4 to 5 mph for 2 miles while boxing. This is working parts of my body I never thought possible! Having to run and box my TV screen at the same time takes coordination AND is a great workout.
Back to the bicycle for 5 more miles and then back to the treadmill for a mile walk cool down.

The entire workout takes me about an hour and is a GREAT way to get a good workout while keeping yourself busy. I'll normally burn 500+ calories in the hour. :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone this month! Stay focused and eat healtyh! :mickey:

Here we go again...
05-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a Nintendo Wii and here it is:
I ride my bicycle trainer for 5 miles (~15min) and play Wii Tennis and Bowling to pass the time.
Then I get on the treadmill and run @4 to 5 mph for 2 miles while boxing. This is working parts of my body I never thought possible! Having to run and box my TV screen at the same time takes coordination AND is a great workout.
Back to the bicycle for 5 more miles and then back to the treadmill for a mile walk cool down.

The entire workout takes me about an hour and is a GREAT way to get a good workout while keeping yourself busy. I'll normally burn 500+ calories in the hour. :thumbsup:

OMG.... I am exhausted just from reading this. I would pass out after the first bicycle ride. :blush: :faint:

AmBo
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
OMG.... I am exhausted just from reading this. I would pass out after the first bicycle ride. :blush: :faint:

No way! You could do it! It isn't as bad as it sounds. :blush:

Beast_fanatic
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I was on a serious plateau for most of the month of April, so I'm only down an additional 2 pounds, for a total of 29 lost since mid-November.

We've started a new fitness challenge at work, so hopefully that will up my daily activity level a bit more.

Here we go again...
05-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I was on a serious plateau for most of the month of April, so I'm only down an additional 2 pounds, for a total of 29 lost since mid-November.

We've started a new fitness challenge at work, so hopefully that will up my daily activity level a bit more.

Congratulations!!
I am so happy to hear that it is coming off again.

I went to my Weight Watchers meeting today and I am happy to say that I lost 4.2 pounds this week!!! I can't believe it! I guess my metabolism had finally kicked in. I have lost a total of 10 pounds. That is not much considering how much I have to lose, but I am working hard. It gets hard sometimes because I can not exercise. Look out when I get my new knee!!

Pipalotta
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Since March 1, I have lost 22lbs doing low carb. Just recently we have started walking about 3miles a night around our neighborhood which is full of all kinds of hills and stairs. I am not sure how much this has helped as of yet but it did help my mom push over her stall that she had during April. I am trying for 10lbs a month which I know is alot but I have 100 plus pounds to lose. Id like to be near my goal weight by the time we go to WDW in January but we will have to see!!!

AmBo
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Since March 1, I have lost 22lbs doing low carb. Just recently we have started walking about 3miles a night around our neighborhood which is full of all kinds of hills and stairs. I am not sure how much this has helped as of yet but it did help my mom push over her stall that she had during April. I am trying for 10lbs a month which I know is alot but I have 100 plus pounds to lose. Id like to be near my goal weight by the time we go to WDW in January but we will have to see!!!

Good luck and keep to it! It'll come off in time! :D Dedication is key! :thumbsup:

Here we go again...
05-14-2007, 08:55 AM
I went to my Weight Watchers meeting Saturday... I lost another 1.2 pounds. I was hoping for a bigger number, but I woke up a little 'bloated'. I stuck to the plan so I am sure I lost a little more, but you know how it goes...
Maybe next week I will see a BIG number!
Total loss so far: 11.2 pounds!

AmBo
05-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I went to my Weight Watchers meeting Saturday... I lost another 1.2 pounds. I was hoping for a bigger number, but I woke up a little 'bloated'. I stuck to the plan so I am sure I lost a little more, but you know how it goes...
Maybe next week I will see a BIG number!
Total loss so far: 11.2 pounds!

Congrats!!! Don't sweat it, I'm sure you lost more if you didn't cheat. Don't forget that your body fluxuates 1 to TEN(!) pounds a day just on water weight. If you felt bloated, I bet you were. ;)

Keep up the good work and let us know how you do next week! :D

TheDuckRocks
05-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Down another pound at my Saturday weigh-in. Just 7 more to go!:donald:
Cleaned out my closet last week (I'm talking empty!) and went on a major shopping binge. No more size 24s where I started and no more 16s when I was in the middle and had to have pants that wouldn't fall off.....now just a closet 1/3 full with really cute size 12s. I really think I need to do more with filling that closet, don't you.:blush:

Here we go again...
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Kay,
You started in a 24??? Wow!! What are you doing to lose all of that weight?
Congratulations!!

TheDuckRocks
05-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Kay,
You started in a 24??? Wow!! What are you doing to lose all of that weight?
Congratulations!!

Weight Watchers! It has taken me a year to do it but it has been so worth it.

DisneyRN
05-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I started my diet the Wednesday after Easter and as of Monday I had lost 13.6 lbs. doing LA Weight Loss and walking/running. :thumbsup:

I am pretty impressed with myself, since it has only been right at 5 weeks. They measured me and last week and I had lost:
-2 inches off my bust
-3 1/2 inches off my stomach
-3 inches off one thigh
-1 inch off my hips
***Total of 9 1/2 inches off my body!*** :joy:

I go back today, so we shall see how much more....

AmBo
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
That's great! Awesome job! In 5 weeks that's quite the improvement. It gets addicting, doesn't it?! :thumbsup:

Figgyluv03
05-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I lost twenty pounds over the past three weeks and I've stopped drinking soda for the past two weeks! I've been watching what I eat and keeping a mental note about how many calories I consume a day! I'm feeling better both physically and emotionally! I'm sooooo excited!

pogo
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
:congrats:

You have done very well. Keep up the good work ! :D

princessjojo
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
:high5: That is fantastic. But I bet I can tell you where you can find some of them if you would like to have them back. :scale: I am moving all day everyday, except when I'm here on Intercot and I can't seem to lose even 5.

Congratulations again and keep up the good work!

celebrationasheley
05-17-2007, 03:07 PM
What a big number! Keep it up!

Congrats:thumbsup:

minnie-mouse
05-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Good for you! That is terrific that you lost all that weight and are taking care of yourself like that. A healthy body is a healthy mind! Congrats!!

mtown71
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Congrats to you! Great news...keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

hoop de do
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM
You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Congratulations and keep up the great work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

alpro2
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Great job and CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
05-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Congrats to you! Keep up the great work!:thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
05-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Congrats -- and keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Namine'
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Fantastic job :thumbsup: Keep up the great work!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-17-2007, 10:45 PM
:thumbsup: That's great.

Tinkerfreak
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow I really admire your determination. You gave up soda and that is great because it is soooo bad for you. I am a coffee addict and have tried to quite but the headaches got me every time. Now I am trying the cut back approach and it is working. Maybe by cutting out some of the cream that goes along with the coffee I can lose some weight.
I bet your energy level has gone way up and you are feeling great.
Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

ElenitaB
05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
That's a wonderful accomplishment. Bet it feels a lot better not to be carrying around the extra weight (next time you go to the grocery store, pick up 4 5-lb bags of potatoes to really sink in what you were carrying around every day).

Here's to you! :high5:

SBETigg
05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey, wow, good for you! I don't drink a lot of soda(one glass of Diet Coke a day) and I have been working myself ragged at the gym to lose six pounds in three weeks. Twenty! Amazing. Do the happy dance!

MsMin
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I think I found those twenty pounds behind me!!
That is incredible, unfortunately I drink diet drinks and iced tea. I've been trying to cut back by reducing the # of times I eat out. :scale: Congrats..:thumbsup:

Ms.Disney
05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
WOW 20 lbs!! Thats great! In 3 weeks WOW! After reading your post I am cutting out all soda!

TennesseeTink
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats!!! That's fantastic!!:thumbsup: Sodas have soooo much sugar in them. I quit drinking them a few years ago and started drinking lots of water. I lost a bunch of weight also. Now when I try to drink a coke or something, I can taste all the sugar and syrup. BLAH!!!:ack:

GOOD JOB!!!

Figgyluv03
05-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appriciate the support! It's more than I'm getting from some friends. I have one friend who always tries to "one up me" and said that she's been watching what she eats and later in the night, she was saying how she went to dunkin donuts for breakfast, chinese for lunch, at the time she was drinking the new Mountain Dew soda (and I checked the label 300 calories in one little bottle) and I'm not sure what she had for dinner, than later that night we went to my friends ice cream store and she had a huge bowl of ice cream and a funnel cake!:ack: If that's watching what you eat, then I'd hate to see what she really eats. :jaw: I'll admit, I had a little bowl of ice cream as a treat to myself, but the next day in work, everyone had cake for the May Birthdays, and instead, I popped a little 100 calorie bag of popcorn! I'm not letting the bad stuff take over!!!

Here we go again...
05-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I just got back from my Weight Watchers meeting.... I lost 1.6 pounds!!
It is slow going, but they say I am doing it the healthy way. I am down a total of 12.8 pounds in 5 weeks.
Hopefully I will continue to lose weight next week in the hospital. I already told Bobby to make sure I have plenty of apples and carrots.
I can't wait until I can start exercising to see how much more I can lose!

SBETigg
05-19-2007, 11:51 AM
It is slow going, but they say I am doing it the healthy way. I am down a total of 12.8 pounds in 5 weeks. I can't wait until I can start exercising to see how much more I can lose!

Fantastic! You won't believe how much better you feel after adding regular exercise, too. I used to have to force myself to make it to the gym and now I hate to have to take a day off from it.

Figgyluv03
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
It is slow going, but they say I am doing it the healthy way. I am down a total of 12.8 pounds in 5 weeks.
Hopefully I will continue to lose weight next week in the hospital. I already told Bobby to make sure I have plenty of apples and carrots.
I can't wait until I can start exercising to see how much more I can lose!

Congrats!!!! Keep up the good work!! We're all routing for you!!!:thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
05-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Congratulations to all of you that have lost weight this past week.
At my Saturday weigh-in I only lost 1/2 pound, but I guess it could have been a gain.
Now that I'm only 6.5 pounds from my goal weight this just seems to be getting harder.:(
For all of you that have given up soda :high5: . I gave up soda a couple of weeks before I started Weight Watchers and that was harder than any dieting I've ever done. I only drank diet soda but after my doctor, my dentist, and Oprah's Dr. Oz all said that diet soda is as bad for you as regular I figured it might be a wise choice to give it up. I am not lying when I say that from day 4 to 10, I went threw could only be discribed as with-drawals. I was shakey, jumpy and couldn't focus my thinking....weird! I did keep with it though as if not drinking it was making me react this strangely, just what the heck was it doing long term to my body? I now drink water, a little bit of fruit juice and no more than 2 glasses of unsweetened ice tea a day.
Everyone have a good week, see you next Monday.

Figgyluv03
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I just picked up a copy of Woman's World and what caught my eye is a new over-the-counter- diet drug that is FDA approved. It's called Alli. The "studies show Alli can help you lose 50% more weight than diet and exercise alone."

Has anyone heard of this drug and if so, what's you thought on it.

disneydeb
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Congratulations on all of you who have enjoyed success with your lifestyle changes.
OK I'm in. :blush:
This AM I walked around the block and came back to a breakfast of an egg and a slice of 35 cal. whole wheat toast., slice tomatoes and water.
No coffee AND excersize, that is big for me. I've got to get in shape for my next Disney trip or I'll need an assistive device :elephant: to get around in.!
I plan to walk before lunch and dinner too.

Wish me luck!:walk::wave:

TheDuckRocks
05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Happy to see you joining us Deb!
No change in my weight this week. :( But I didn't gain any!

Christine
05-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I just picked up a copy of Woman's World and what caught my eye is a new over-the-counter- diet drug that is FDA approved. It's called Alli. The "studies show Alli can help you lose 50% more weight than diet and exercise alone."

Has anyone heard of this drug and if so, what's you thought on it.

I took this drug when it was prescription only. It went under the name of Orlistat or Xenical.

How it works:
It blocks the body's absorption of fat by 25%. Basically, 1/4 of the food you take in, goes right out! And I mean that literally! It is not a pleasant drug. I am going to try to say this without being too graphic. Unprocessed fat is just oil. Your body mechanically is used to ridding waste that is a heavier consistency. Oil is not a heavy consistency, so it just goes right out...you cannot control it. :ack:
The lower fat you eat, the less you have that problem though.

I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months with it. I stopped taking it though, because the possible effects worried me (plus I couldn't handle the oil effect any longer!).

Since you are not absorbing all of your food, you are not absorbing all of it's nutrients. It is highly recommended that you take a good multivitamin. People reported having vision loss, hair loss, skin problems, etc as they were not getting enough vitamins and minerals.

I would thoroughly research it before you try it.

disneydrmr
05-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Has anyone heard or this or tried it? I saw an article about it in a magazine. You drink 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in with 8oz of water one hour before your meals.. suppossed to help you not eat as much/lose weight/gain energy/etc... I'm gonna try it.. but was just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

NotaGeek
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Fad diets don't work. Unfortunately the only way to lose weight is to exercise to burn calories and control your food intake.

maizey05
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I've taken apple cider vinegar pills. I think you take 1 before each meal. I have some problems with digestion etc. and it really did help that. Seemed to keep everything regular. I don't think it made me lose weight, but it does increase energy a little and might aid in losing weight when combined w/ eating right + exercise.

Pipalotta
05-30-2007, 01:42 PM
what works about this "diet" probably isnt the vinegar but the fact that you are drinking a whole cup of water, that would naturally fill you up causing you to eat less. There is a doctor here in Maryland who wrote a book about his hot sauce diet, he would put it on everything there for causing him to eat slower and drink more water during meals filling him up. Peoples problems are they go for seconds thinking there are still hungry but it actually takes 20mins for you to feel full, so if you eat slower and drink plenty of water during meals you will see a difference.

harlowandthemermaid
05-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Even if you don't lose weight, the apple cider vinegar is good for you and has great cleansing and medicinal properties. Make sure that it is raw and contains the "mother". A good brand is Braggs. If you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats nearby you can definitely get it there, or most other health food stores carry it.
I used it to help treat acid reflux when nothing else(including high dollar prescriptions) was working. Putting it in a full glass of water will definitely help take away the not so pleasant taste!

Here we go again...
05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Congratulations on all of you who have enjoyed success with your lifestyle changes.
OK I'm in. :blush:
This AM I walked around the block and came back to a breakfast of an egg and a slice of 35 cal. whole wheat toast., slice tomatoes and water.
No coffee AND excersize, that is big for me.
If there is one thing I am learning.... do not give up too many things you love or you are setting yourself up for failure.
I am by no means a pro at this, I have only lost 15 pounds so far. Every time I have tried to diet I gave up the things I loved, like coffee, and I always fell off the wagon then figured "oh well" and went right back to the way I ate before.

Weight Watchers is helping me this time. I say 'this' time because I tried and failed before.
Some of the things I learned this time:

1. Purchase a scale. You would be shocked to see how little 1 serving of cheese really is.
2. Use the Weight Watchers serving spoons. They come in a set on 1 cup, 1/2 cup and smaller sizes. I still eat my rice and gravy, but I know when I have a cup of rice and stop.
3. Don't forget to count your sugar and cream in your coffee. When I got my measuring set I started putting only 1/2 tsp of sugar and cream. At first I freaked out... I must have been putting 2 tsp of each before without realizing it. Now I am used to it and can still have my coffee at only 1 point.
4. Weight Watchers giant chocolate bars are great for when you are craving chocolate... and only 1 point each! (yes, on a bad day I have had 2 at a time)

Those are just a few things. I am taking it one day at a time and hoping to stick to it. I haved learned over the last 40+ years that there is no magic pill and your weight will only get worse over the years.
I also have all of the excuses too... I am hypothyroid, have rhumatoid arthritis and more. At this point I know I want to live longer and do not want to do so in the pain I feel every day.

I will lose at least another 10 pounds by my trip in July! I know I can do it!!!