PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices scheduled to hit $4.00

tink2006
05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
We have always driven, From Indiana, to WDW. However, with gas prices scheduled to hit $4.00 we are thinking about flying for our yearly August stay at the World. Between gas prices and hotel rooms (one for each leg of the trip) We are seriously thinking about flying. We usually take our own drinks, snacks, etc. but I have read here that you can have grocery delivery or call a cab(?) We really enjoy the drive but if it is going to cost more in time and money we should probably fly. We are not light travelers and, therefore, prefer not to worry about luggage restrictions, security checks, etc. I have not run any numbers to see if it will save any money. I thought I would check to see what other people were thinking. How many people are thinking that it will be more cost effective to fly than drive? If you fly, Do you have grocery delivery? Do you sign up for Magical Express? Since we always drive, I have never really given these items much thought. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

figment
05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
we flown for the first time last year (we usually drive too) from cedar rapids, iowa, and to tell you the truth, we are planning to fly from here on out. it went pretty smoothly all around.

we also used garden grocier and they were terrific. magical express worked flawlessly too.

good luck. i hope gas prices don't get that high... but who knows.

Strmchsr
05-01-2007, 09:22 AM
If you fly, you really have two options - garden grocer if you use DME or use Happy Limo and they'll do a grocery stop for you.

The hassle will definitely be less driving all the way from IN. However, remember that airlines are buying higher priced gas just like you are so if you're thinking of flying I would try to get tickets ASAP. Southwest just raised fares yesterday in anticipation of higher gas prices and I'm sure others aren't far behind.

Bruegge
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
FYI ....

If you Fly to Florida in the summer try to avoid the Atlanta airport.

As I've posted before, Atlanta is a Black hole that pulls in travelers for hours at a time in the summer...

While Mickey Mouse looks to the sky wondering where your are..... Weather (thunderstorms alot in the summer) cause wide delays, mised
connections, long waits from YOUR HOME airport while they clear from Atlanta.

If you use Delta, it flys mainly thru atlanta and Cincinnati. Try and catch a direct flight...

Scott

Bubbie Girl
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
We have always driven from Northern Illinois also, but this year we have decided to fly (first time ever). It is cheaper this year for sure. I am looking forward to being there in under 3 hours compared to 24 hours, but I have always enjoyed the drive. We booked last week with a very good price around 160.00 round trip, direct flight,early morning. Now if I am just brave enough to get on the plane lol! Good luck whatever you decide.

Dream'nDisney
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
We went to WDW last early August, and decided a few weeks before we went to check out the Southwest deal they were running. I think it was something like $69.00 one-way, which was cheaper than us driving from Illinois. It worked out great! We found out about Garden Grocer through this site, and they also worked out great. Their prices aren't any more expensive than some of the stores around here. If they are, it is only by a few dollars. We were so glad we used them. We had them bring some beer and a styrofoam cooler also. You have to call them if you want alcohol delivered. They arrived right when we were checking in to our room and brought everything right to our room. They give you a call on your cell phone when they are close to your resort. We will definitely use them again. Plus, with Magical Express, you can't go wrong... a free trip to WDW from the airport! :thumbsup: :mickey: Happy planning!

crazeedizneefinatic
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I think you will find flying much smoother than expected. Before our son was born we did the drive a few times. We drove from Pittsburgh and we usually took it very slow. We did it in 2 days. We drove straight through once on the way home, not sure why, but oh my gosh, never again. I have a fear of flying. Terrible fear, it just seems so unnatural for some reason. But anyway, it really is less stress than driving. I think that is why I force myself to stay calm, lol. You are there in a few hours relaxing while you wait for your bags to be delivered. The ME worries about picking up your luggage at the airport. (although I worry if it was ever on the plane, LOL knock on wood never had lost luggage). When you land you just head to the ME which is on the lower level of the airport. Hop the bus and you are on your way. Now it does take a few hours for your luggage to catch up with you at your resort. So do pack whatever you immediately need in your carryon so you have it. Swimsuit and sunscreen, things like that. But try it. You may never go back to driving!:D

faline
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
If oil prices continue to climb, you can expect that airfares will as well. Whether it will be cost effective to fly or not may become a relative thing!

BigRedDad
05-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I live in NC. The drive would be about 10 hours for my DW and DD. The total gas cost would be $100 each way @ $3/gallon. If I wait long enough, I can get round trip, non-stop flights for around $150 each. If I had to pay for my DD flight, it would be $450 for all of us. For me, $250 price difference for ~15 hours less travel time is well worth it.

angedeaile
05-01-2007, 01:09 PM
FYI ....

As I've posted before, Atlanta is a Black hole that pulls in travelers for hours at a time in the summer...

That is an excellent tip! However, sometimes it can't be helped...I can't ever seem to avoid that airport! That and Detroit Metro.

SO always assume you will be late an hour or two. That way, you don't make plans that you might not make on time.

Another suggestion is when it comes to any major airport, I make sure I have a decent layover time (an hour and a half typically) between connections...

I find when one flight is late and you have a 30 min layover between connections, sometimes you can't make it to your other flight on time. I have been stranded in several cities before I figured out that one.

Sure you don't get there faster than others might, but atleast you aren't freaking out! Also, it is faster than driving :thumbsup:

SO, I say fly. Driving can be worth it if you are near Florida, but with gas prices...I say it isn't worth the bother unless you really enjoy driving across the country.

Bruegge
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Another suggestion is when it comes to any major airport, I make sure I have a decent layover time (an hour and a half typically) between connections...

I find when one flight is late and you have a 30 min layover between connections, sometimes you can't make it to your other flight on time. I have been stranded in several cities before I figured out that one.

Very good point..

Been there done that too. We had a 40 Min layover in .... you guessed it ..Atlanta.

The good news was we just did make it to the plane... as they were closing the ramp door.

The bad news ... our luggage didn't...

Scott

Lehman Family
05-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd run the numbers first. For us it's cheaper to drive simply because we have 2 children and would have to pay for 4 plane tickets all together. The prices of plane tickets also fluctuate with the oil prices, so if we're paying more for gas, so are the airlines, which means plan tickets will go up as well. I've also heard that the grocery services are nice, but expensive. Since we drive ourselves we just go to Wal-Mart the first day we're there, and we don't have any layovers in the airports or have to wait for a bus (although I-95 can be pretty bad sometimes).

Strmchsr
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
FYI ....

What you fail to realize is, you can't avoid Atlanta. It's the black hole pulling you in. I've come to believe that St. Peter's Gate must be in Atlanta. When you die, no matter where your eternal destination, you still have to go through Atlanta to change planes to get there.

mttafire
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
If oil prices continue to climb, you can expect that airfares will as well. Whether it will be cost effective to fly or not may become a relative thing!
Agreed. There are currently 3 of us (soon 4). For us to fly and SAVE money gas prices would have to more than triple! Gas prices are a relative thing. Ive found that if i work just a few hours more overtime that everything equals out. Even in our Honda minivan gas prices (per vacation travel) are a non issue. There are so many other ways to save money that the increase in gas prices should not be an issue. Even at low airline prices from Ohio 200.00 per person to Orlando thats 800.00 total for 4 people. Driving would NEVER come close to that. Even if gas was 6.00 per gallon.

mudpuppysmom
05-01-2007, 10:31 PM
When I originally thought about our trip coming up next week, I thought and thought and thought. DH said why don't I just drive. It was just going to be DS and I and I thought it would be a REALLY long trip with a 5 y/o in the car for 15 hours......plus I'd HAVE to stop to sleep at some point so I could recharge for when we got there -- DS would be ready to rock and roll, but not me.......so there would be 1 1/2 day down and the same back, so there were three days out of a week already. I got a Trip Tik from AAA and was going with the drive plan until SW came out with $29 airfare to Tampa, then I started to plan further......we were still losing two days b/c of the flight situation, but I was still OK with that; I made a hotel ressie for the night before our flight b/c it left early on our last day in FL. The rental car from Dollar was going to be $150, but I still had to fill it up probably more than once, but again, I was still ok.....then SW came out with a $49 fare to MCO and I snagged that.......the rental car was $30 more in MCO, but again, we were flying straight, getting in early and leaving late our last day, so we gained our days back that way for $80 in extra flight $. To me, it IS all about how fast I can get us there, how long we can stay and how late we leave.......we MAX out on vaca time!!! For us, it was right about the same to drive as it was to fly, so to be there in two hours was worth that to me.......Just something else to think about......the time savings!

Mickey91
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Since you probably have an idea of how many times you fill up to get to WDW and back and how much the extra hotel will cost, do some quick figuring and then check out the airline prices. We have never flown so I am by no means an expert, but would gas prices not affect airline ticket prices also?

Donald A
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
My wife hasn't flown and likely never will, and I don't like the treatment that I have heard about by security at the airport. I think I'll stick to driving. Remember, if gas prices go up for drivers of automobiles so does the price of jet fuel. If jet fuel prices increase so does the airline ticket prices.