PDA

View Full Version : The Ancient Rocker

wizardmickey
05-01-2007, 01:26 AM
I think I've tried to tell the adventures of my recent weekend, but with the VMK dictionary it can be difficult:
4/27 we had band practice as usual, shutting down about 30 minutes early to tear down & load up our equipment.
4/28 we drive about 35-40 minutes out of town to do our 1st paying gig as RELIX. There were some logistics issues; pavillion was double booked so we got moved to the town hall outside... it was 90 + degrees... we had some sound problems... but we musta done something right because they've already booked us for their Family Reunion in '08 & we've gotten some other job offers out of this!
4/29 we bring the equipment back to our rehearsal place & celebrate our lead guitarists 46th birthday with crawfish, drinks & a 3 hour jam session.
After having spent all week at work moving from one building to another & then lugging musical equipment all over the place, I actually HURT!!! 20 years ago I was in better shape to do the roadie part of being in a band... but that was when I was 20 years younger! Still, it's been way fun & it keeps me busy when Lady Ice is away travelling (BTW: She finally couldn't stand it & brought me Bag-Pipes during her last trip to Scotland. I've given them a try and nearly passed out from lack of oxygen!)
Next up: The Memorial Day Street Party!

Patricia
05-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Woot! A paid rocker. That roadie part is nasty. You need to get famous and hire someone.. Oh wait, I have a kid I'll send you, soon as I'm done getting him to paint my stage. :)

I have a friend that plays bag pipes. I've tried them.. and it's not pretty.

:pipes: :pipes: :pipes:

janmathatter
05-01-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm looking for a new line of work. You can be the ancient rocker, and I can be the really ancient roadie. Want to hear some of that Relix music soon Ice. (though you can skip the bag-pipes)

Chescat
05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Awesome. I know that feeling also, I'm still in pain from the DLR trip. Geez! :blush:

I'm just having these hysterical images of you on the bagpipes. We have to see a picture at some point. :pipes: :pipes:

Mr. Tom Morrow
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great weekend!:waycool:
Congratulations to you and the guys:thumbsup:

wizardmickey
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
You've heard the saying "You're only as old as you feel?" We must be really old!
Tuesday & Fridays are our standing band practice days; I got a call this afternoon saying practice was being canceled due to the fact that the lead guitarist & drummer were (Southern termonology here) "Worn slap out."

So, some of you Intercotee's are interested in being roadies, eh? And even the next generation is willing to be offered up into our service? Hmmm...

The bag-pipes: No worries about hearing me on those anytime soon! But I'm still eventually gonna try learning the (in this order I think) the Oud, Ukelele, Mandolin & Sitar.

And hearing Relix: We do have the rehearsal video done (calling it "Warts & All") & just went through the video from this weekend. The camera was stationary at an angle from the side catching my side of the "stage" (if you want to call it that) and the sound quality is kind of so-so as a result... you can definitely hear my guitar over it all (good thing I made minimum mistakes!) I just don't like the camera angle... so if we can get clearance we'll try to have my wife tape the Memorial Day show.

TinkRocks
05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
:woohoo: Can't wait to hear you guys!

wizardmickey
05-05-2007, 11:33 AM
To borrow a line from the obscure ELO song; "Here is the news..."
Our guitarist (lead) surprised us last night when we arrived by introducing us to Tony, a keyboard player. He wanted him to "sit in" and if we liked how things went we could meet and discuss maybe adding him to the band. My only concern for poor keyboard players is that not all songs require them, so I'd feel left out of the picture if not fully being utilized (kinda like the whole "Phantom Keyboardist" theory used by bands like Aerosmith, KISS, etc.) BUT: He was good, could follow along even on songs he wasn't familiar with, and adds another dimension to our already 3 part harmonies. So... Come Tuesday, we may be making a big decision affecting our membership.
Oh yeah... we may also finally have a logo! Problem was, I drew up 2 variations of the same logo, and the band wants to use both (they couldn't decide on just one!) Once it has been "polished & cleaned", I'll find a way to share it with y'all. BTW: This now makes the 3rd band I've created a distinctive logo for over the past 25 years, beginning with "HIGH VOLTAGE", "OFF LYMITZ" and now "RELIX".

wizardmickey
05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
It's Tuesday, and we now are a 5-piece band.
Keep your hands & feet inside out all times 'cuz this here ride is rollin' right off the tracks now!

Chescat
05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
It's Tuesday, and we now are a 5-piece band.
Keep your hands & feet inside out all times 'cuz this here ride is rollin' right off the tracks now!
Awesome Ice. :thumbsup:

terri.m
05-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Yay Ice!!