PDA

View Full Version : Airport Question

shecky66
04-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Taking Jet Blue from Newark to Orlando in August - we have an 8:05 Am flight.

Realistically, what time do we have to get to the airport?

merlinmagic4
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm probably over the edge of reason but I like to get there 2 hours early.

On our return flight this month we stayed at the Airport Marriott. We went down to the airport at 6:30 am for a 7:45 am flight. By the time we checked in with the self service checkins, dropped our baggage, got to the gate, they were boarding within 15 minutes. My DH and I went to get bagels and juice and missed the first boarding call! It was a bit too rushed for me.

You can actually look at the TSA website and it will tell you how long to allow for security for the time and day of the week you are travelling. And you can check in online from home and drop your baggage curbside so you might not need quite as much time for that part of your trip.

Have a great trip!:mickey:

Mom2princesses
04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
We are also flying out of Newark in August. We are taking Continental but our flight is at 7:00 am and we will be at the airport at 5:00 am. :jaw: :eek2: You really do need to get there about 2 hours early. Better to be safe than rushed. You can always enjoy a bagel or something else for breakfast at the airport. I can just imagine waking up my 10 and 3 year old at around 4:15 :fit:

But we wanted to get to Orlando early and early it is!!!

Have a great time! We are going from 8/25 to 8/30. Then off to seaworld and visiting relativies in southern Florida.

DisneyDudet
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
We usually leave from DFW around 630am (not this time because leaving only 1.5 hrs later will save us $300 bucks). And yes, if you arrive at the airport around 2 hours before hand, that will give you plenty of time.

If we park our car, we get there earlier (obviously). The longest step is getting through security. If we have bags (which we usually don't on the way there) that takes the most time. We do the self service check in w/ American and then security. Usually, if its not a super high travel time, we get through w/ about 45 min left. Dad brings the paper or a book, mom brings a book (sometimes the unofficial guide.. but why.. she has me!), and I bring my ipod and a book or magazine that I get in the mail that I save for the trip. We usually get some breakfast from McDonalds or something, and by the time we're done and gone to the bathroom (which I tend to do about 3 times before we board because I don't want to use the bathrooms on the plane :ack: ).

By the time we get that done, its boarding time. You remember that you board about 20-30 min before your departure time, so that helps with the waiting (but not if you're late!).

I would much rather sit around for an hour being early than to wait and be rushed. We have found that the later (even by 5 min) the security line grows and the wait could be 20 min to get through (as they don't have as many staff that early).

We are all seasoned flyers, but yes, getting there at least 2 hours before is a must.

faline
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I always aim to arrive at the airport 2 hours before my flight. You never know when you're going to hit a traffic jam, a snag in security, or something else that will delay you from getting to your gate. I'd rather be early and wait for my flight, than late and have to rush to my gate, or worse, miss my flight altogether!

vamaggie
04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
I also try to get to the airport at least 2 hours before flight time. Especially if you have to deal with NY/NJ commuter traffic I would plan for more time. I have done the "OJ through the airport" routine myself (anyone else old enough to remember that commercial?!) and I would much rather spend more time at the gate with breakfast and a book/mag. If you have kids, get them up and take them in their pjs (or if they're older, let them sleep in clothes) to the airport. They can always change there if you have time.

wendy*darling
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
2 hours. I don't know if Newark is like Philly, but in Philly you cannot check your bag if you arrive within 1 hour of the flight. Period.
And depending on the day of the week, there will likely be lots of vacationers and commuters trying to get to their destinations early. That's a great time of day for people to be able to make business meetings by 9 or 10am. So security may have long lines.
Just do the 2 hours and be safe.