PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a Week of Disney Dining

Natazu
04-29-2007, 02:12 AM
There were several meals we chose not to review individually but want to share some of the experience/information for one reason or another. Any questions or comments are welcome.

California Grill*****:
NEW ITEM ALERT: the newest seasonal flatbread is Barbecue Pulled Pork with Tillamook Cheddar, and Cabbage-Fennel Slaw – thumbs up to Chef Jens’ new creation but it still doesn’t top the Triple Cheese or the currently out of season Heirloom Tomato flatbreads.
ITEM CHANGE: the current incarnation of the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake has strawberry sauce and an awesome strawberry ice cream.
ITME CHANGE: The au gratin style potatoes (still available at Vero Beach) have been replaced with an above average skin-on bacon-smashed potatoes. The old ones were better, though.

Still the gem in Disney’s dining crown (V&A aside), California Grill didn’t disappoint. Excellent service, food, & value. The place was packed and they still stayed on top of things. Great management. We liked it so much, went back two days later with Brian and Jennifer for another great meal and conversation with a wonderful view of Wishes

Citricos****: The Gateau of Crab is still one of the best appetizers at WDW (behind CGs Sonoma Ravioli). We still consider Citricos an excellent restaurant but it’s the little things that keep it from cresting the hill to the neighborhood in which California Grill and Narcoossee’s reside. The server was good but seemed way too busy, which made us feel a little rushed. I think he was having a hard time keeping up. In fact, so was the restaurant, both logistically and from a culinary standpoint. We waited a long time for our entrées and then mine was cold. OK, everyone’s entitled to an off night. Of course, our server took the plate away and it was replaced in about seven minutes. The manager who brought the new entrée set it on the table from behind me and said nothing but “here you go, sir” and disappeared. We never got a “sorry” or even an oops from anyone. The rest of the food was wonderful; so was mine once it was served warm. We’ll definitely go back, but Citricos stays on the “every other trip” list while CG is on the “twice a trip” list.

Grand Floridian Café****: Thumbs up to the lunch menu. The fish of the day (tilapia today) is a great light lunch before an MK afternoon. Rachel loves the Tuna Salad Sandwich and Soup Combo. And what can be better than chocolate fondue after lunch to give you some calories to walk off.

Marrakesh****:
Found out that you cannot get a table right by the stage if you are not a party of three or more. All the tables by the stage are for four people or more and the staff will not seat a party of two at one of them no matter what.
Outside of that, we love Marrakesh. The food was juicy, flavorful, tender, and plentiful. The server was quick, friendly, and backed-up well by the rest of the staff. Think of this place as one of the best 1TS restaurants at Disney but make an ADR because as time goes by, more people are trying Epcot’s Moroccan food. They have been sold out all week.

Garden Grill***:
On the spur of the moment, we decided to have lunch at GG. We walked up at 11:35 with no ADR and were seated within 15 minutes while Soarin’ had a 90 minute wait. I love this place. Great character interaction, tender flank steak, moist turkey, killer vegetables. The current dessert, Very Berry Puff Pastry, doesn’t do it for me. It’s kind of boring; the custard in the pastry is good though.

Cape May Café***: Dining in a deluxe resort is great. You pull up to the hotel, toss your keys to the valet, say hi to the greeter, and in about 60 seconds, you’re at the restaurant podium. Sadly, at Beach Club, that’s where the deluxe dining experience ends. Cape May is about all there is for real TS dining at Beach Club and it’s about what you’d expect from an all-you-can-eat buffet. The food is better than most buffets; I’ll give it that. The only thing I didn’t like was the sausage, but for the money, I’d rather go to ‘Ohana or Boma. Note that Rachel and I don’t eat mussels or clams. From what I understand, if you like mussels or clams, the ones at Cape May can’t be beat.
So for AYCE shellfish, Cape May is definitely worth the money. The tables are spaced nicely so you don’t feel like you’re seated with the folks at the next table like at Marrakesh.

Earl of Sandwich:
PIN ALERT, the EoS trading pins are LE 500 and are on sale for 40% off along with all the other EoS merchandise. I bought a t-shirt for $9.96 – forgot I was at Disney for a minute.
The general manager (who had to ring in the discount) said they’re blowing out all the merchandise to make room for some more tables. Then he did something pretty darn nice. There were like 60 people in line to order/get food so we were going to wait for lunch. As though he sensed this, the manager instructed the merchandise cashier to take our order and then went into the kitchen and assembled it himself. He returned with our tasty lunch in about two minutes with a “thank you for being a frequent diner”. We’re here way too much.
A few days later on our way out of town, we went back to EoS to get sandwiches togo with our seven remaining CS credits (3 Hawaiian, a 1762, a ham and swiss, a chicken caesar wrap, and a Full Montagu. We got a couple of cupcakes, cookies, 3 brownies, and seven fountain drink cups. I noticed a family about the size of the Brady Bunch and gave them five of our drinks. They were very appreciative.

Cooke’s of Dublin:
We tried the sausages this time along with the scallops. Both were very good. Service was fast and like EoS, they offer free fountain drink refills. The Doh-Bars were good and we’re told that a Milky Way™ version may be on the horizon.

Tangierine Café:
We got a couple of meals around 8:30pm. It took about 35 minutes to get through the pre-Illuminations CS line. I guess that isn’t bad since the line was all the way out the door. The Shawarma Combo Platter was very filling and tasty even though the chicken was a little dry. The hummus and the couscous were delicious.
The new Meatball Platter is okay but not a very good value for $10.95. You get five meatballs and a plate full of yellow rice. The meatball sauce was good, kind of tangy. The meatballs were very dense and flavorful and not over spiced. The plate is full of food but all in all, it’s just a few meatballs and some rice for $11.

Lotus Blossom Café:
Lunch here is great. All the entrées are wonderful and there are some new things that look good. I just can’t remember what they are, sorry. Rachel loves the Orange Chicken and the egg rolls are awesome. My only gripe is that the pot stickers and the egg rolls are not on the dining plan in any form. Wait, one more gripe… the desserts. Ginger ice cream – who came up with that? The same guy that came up with Red Bean ice cream, that’s who.

Tusker House:
ITEM ALERT: The desserts are being packaged differently now. Don’t worry; they are the same desserts. They just look different. They’re in the round plastic containers now like at other parks but they aren’
TOP TIP: If you want to save time in line at Tusker, go to the farthest open register from the door. The last three stations don’t have menus above them and they are darker (no natural lighting) so people are less apt to get in line there.
The chicken sandwiches and fries were awesome as always. Go Fatty Fried Foods!

DISNEYFIX
04-29-2007, 03:46 AM
I gained five pounds reading your post!:thedolls: :thedolls:

Thanks for the info and reviews. I will be printing this one out.
Chris

Maleficent's Dad
04-29-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the extensive review, Jym! :thumbsup:

Sylvia
04-29-2007, 08:59 AM

:ditto:

Loved reading your reviews. I'm especially happy that 2 of my favorite CS locations, Earl of Sandwich and Tusker House, are consistently great!! :thumbsup:

dixielandings
04-29-2007, 11:16 AM

Chris

:rotfl:

I couldn't agree more the 'Ohana/Boma statement - we've eaten multiple times at each of those as well as at Cape May. There's no place I'd rather eat breakfast than at 'Ohana at about 8:00! yummy....

Crow
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
im :mad: at you!
you're making it harder to decide what to try at CA Grill for my first meal ever there in May
and then making it hard to decide between Earl or Cookes at DD!
thanks a lot:thedolls:
sounds like i will like CG and may have to repeat visit...the problem being if i use 2 TS credits there in Sept too, what do i drop? hmmm.
i will b using a CS at Lotus Blossom. never tried GG although i keep lookin at it.
and never ate at any of the places at GF.

SBETigg
04-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Interesting, thanks. I was torn between Narcoossee's and Citricos for my next trip, and then between Citricos and Kona. I'd love to try Citricos, but I think Narcoossee's and Kona Cafe were the right choices. Citricos stays on the list for future trips, though.

jedigrrrl
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
TOP TIP: If you want to save time in line at Tusker, go to the farthest open register from the door. The last three stations don’t have menus above them and they are darker (no natural lighting) so people are less apt to get in line there

HEY HEY HEY!!! Don't give away my family's number one secret!!!!! UGH!!! I actually got kinda mad as I read it..... I'm calm now;) .... LOL!

All you Intercoteers keep this to yourselves, okay?? :secret: We take advantage of this every single trip. Tusker House is our favorite CS.:mickey:

Natazu
04-29-2007, 02:21 PM
im :mad: at you!
you're making it harder to decide what to try at CA Grill for my first meal ever there in May
and then making it hard to decide between Earl or Cookes at DD!
thanks a lot:thedolls:
sounds like i will like CG and may have to repeat visit...the problem being if i use 2 TS credits there in Sept too, what do i drop? hmmm.
Cooke's over Earl. It's hard to beat fish and scallops for lunch. As great as EoS is, it's still sandwiches.

At CG, just order what you're in the mood for. I wouldn't rearrange your ADRs. We worked to hard on them. :D

2disneyfans
04-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the review Jym and the Tusker House tip, we will use this for sure in June!:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
What, no mention of the possum you had cooked up????? :D

rsumrall
04-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Great review! I can't wait to try Earl of Sandwich on our next trip from our home resort - SSR. Which sandwich do you recommend? And the wife wants to know if the sandwich comes with a dill pickle spear.

PirateLover
04-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Well, he did say he wanted to keep some things to himself :secret: ;)

Thanks so much for the great reviews!:thumbsup:

SgtTigger
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Very nice review.........

I feel Hungary now.........

:eek:

:cop: :tigger:

HndrdPrcnt
04-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Sounds like the dinner at CG with Brian & Jenn went well...I am so glad! I have been ranting and raving about it forever to them and telling them that they needed to get the babysitter and go enjoy it. I am so glad that not only did they finally go, but they went with a resident expert!!:thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Cool Jym. Thanks for the reviews. We have ressies at Cali Grill in June during Wishes. Can't wait! Keep on sending your dining tips. We look forward to them. :mickey:

LizLovesDiz
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
We will be down there on Thurs. and I really appreciate the reviews,EOS sounds really good!
Thanks! :mickey3:

Lucille
05-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reviews!

Tick-Tock
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
We just had the orange chicken, pot stickers, and egg rolls at Lotus Blossom on Sunday. Yummy! And at 12 noon, no one in line at the counters, and only three groups eating, so we had our food quickly and our choice of seating!

pogo
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Chris
Just try hanging with this guy for a few days and you'll gain weight for sure ! :D

Uummmmm ..... Sorry about that, Jym. :funny: :D

mouseaddict
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info Jym. I think you have solved a few dining dilemmas in our group. I think Garden Grill is an undiscovered gem..and I hope it stays that way.
I do have a question..I believe you have an AP...do you prefer to use the dining plan or do you like to do the AP rate at the hotel and pay oop? Just wondering since I just got an AP but will be going for 7 DAYS in August! Thanks!

Natazu
05-02-2007, 04:11 AM
I do have a question..I believe you have an AP...do you prefer to use the dining plan or do you like to do the AP rate at the hotel and pay oop? Just wondering since I just got an AP but will be going for 7 DAYS in August! Thanks!
Back before we had DVC, it depended on the number of times and number of days we were going for the year. Our break-even was like 8 days or more over two or more trips. The MYW plus dining is great for one trip a year. Beyond that, you're probably better off getting an AP and DDE (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp) instead of the MYW plus dining. No matter which way you go, make sure and use Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/) for your travel arrangements. They are completely on top of discounts and specials. Go Karen!

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Question:

When we went to EoS in Jan, we noticed there was no Chicken Salad Sandwich on the menu. Is that still the case?

mouseaddict
05-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the input! Just thought I would mention that I have Wendy on speed dial..

poeticeclipse
05-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm going to have to steal your tip on Tusker House! I haven't eaten there before but i'm looking forward to get salmon at a CS!!!!! I'm going to turn into a fish one day... I just know it!:mickey: