PDA

View Full Version : Best Character Dining Experience?

emmatink
04-28-2007, 12:34 PM
What is the best Character Dining Experience in all of Disney World for a little one?

tkbk
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
CHEF MICKEY"S - hands down the best!!! it is so much fun even for the adults, when they play the music and get the guests involved it always reminded me of being on a cruise!

ElenitaB
04-28-2007, 02:32 PM
You didn't mention how little your little one is! For some children, Chef Mickey's with all its stimulation is over the top. And it's very hard for them to see the characters so many tables away and realize that they need to wait their turn.

Chef Mickey actually was the very first character meal we went to (it was for DS's fifth birthday). The characters basically stopped by, signed an autograph, took a picture and were out of there!

We've consistently had better character interaction in a quieter setting, like Liberty Tree Tavern (which is not one big room but several smaller rooms) or Garden Grill (our favorite, hands down). We also like Crystal Palace as my DS can pick out what food HE wants (he always seems to pick out his tried-and-true favorites AND venture out to try something new). DS just said that his favorite was breakfast at 'Ohana with Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto. It was very quiet when we went and it really was nice.

Nicki'sMom
04-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Think about what characters your kids like and narrow them down from there. I never found a buffet at Disney that was bad so food wise, I don't think you can make a mistake. If your kids are into pooh bear and friends then Crystal Palace or Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare would be good. Any that have Mickey and friends are good except you will get private time with the characters at Garden Grill because the booths are so private. Good healthy food there too except our platter came out cold. Didn't complain-free dining:mickey: . We loved dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella and prince, our daughter age 3 is huge princess fan. We will be trying Akershaus in Sept and the castle lunch.

Maleficent's Dad
04-28-2007, 04:27 PM
You didn't mention how little your little one is! For some children, Chef Mickey's with all its stimulation is over the top. And it's very hard for them to see the characters so many tables away and realize that they need to wait their turn.
:ditto:
That is almost exactly what I was going to say!

Chef Mickey's, while receiving high praises here on Intercot, can be, shall we say, a bit on the louder side? ;)

Kate In Wonderland
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Chef Mickey's is wonderful but I agree with what everyone has said - the stimulation can be overwhelming sometimes. It's really fun though!

If you opt for something a little bit more tame, another option is Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club. They have a character breakfast that is lots of fun. It's usually Goofy, Minnie, Chip, Dale and sometimes Pluto. It's not quite as loud as Chef Mickey's, but it's fun!

GrmGrninGost
04-28-2007, 06:52 PM
It depends on which characters you prefer. For Mickey, I like Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Liberty Tree for dinner with Minnie, Chip & Dale, etc. Crystal Palace for Pooh and Co. For Princess's, it's hard to beat Cinderella's Royal Table.

pcoleman
04-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Just took DD age 5 to have breakfast at the castle. It was great. She had plenty of time to eat and all the princesses were there. They each came to our table and took their time with DD. The food was wonderful too.

chrisandmattsmom
04-28-2007, 09:10 PM
We LOVE Chef Mickey's and Liberty Tree Tavern! My boys are ages 7 and 5 and they liked both. Chef Mickey's is more on the louder side and LTT is more on the mellow side.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Although DD loved her Princess Breakfast at CRT, the best character interaction we've ever had has been the meals at Liberty Tree Tavern. We end each trip to Disney with dinner at LTT, and each time DD has TONS of time with each character, they spend a lot of time with her, lots of hugs and kisses, and they love playing along with her. LTT is a lot quieter than most places in MK, and a great break from the parks.

Last time, after numerous visits from each character, we still had CM's checking with us to ensure that we'd seen all characters, and didn't need anyone to come back again.

Plus, DD likes the "old-fashioned" Minnie! :mickey:

FriendsofMickey
04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
As has already been mentioned, I think age and personality plays a big part. Also, make sure you check out the menus to make sure your little ones will eat.

Here is what I would rate what we have done based on interaction alone (not food):

1. Garden Grill - request a booth - almost like having the characters to yourself.
2. Liberty Tree Tavern - slow paced - layed backed, and quiet
3. Chef Mickey's - dinner - loud, fun, very interactive
4. Crystal Palace (Pooh and friends)
CRT - early dinner (2 years ago, before they changed things around).
1900 Park Fare - dinner
Hollywood and Vine - lunch
(these are all about the same as far as interaction with the characters. They come to the table, take pictures, go to the next table.)
5. Akershaus

If food is added, the ratings change :
1. Chef Mickeys
2. Crystal Palace
3. Liberty Tree Tavern
4. 1900 Park Fare - I did not get to eat much here because one of my little ones got sick, but what I did get to taste was great (might have placed higher, if I would have actually had dinner).
5. CRT
6. Hollywood and Vine
7. Akershaus - I WILL NEVER EAT HERE again.... IMO the food negated any interaction. We did lunch in 2005, breakfast in 2006. I gave it a fair try, but will hold onto my money the next time.

For the children, I think that the buffets are the best option, just because there is such a bigger selection from them to choose from.

Nicki'sMom
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
:confused: Is Akershaus bad food? I know it is a little on the odd side because it is native of Norway and most Americans are not familiar with the food. Can you elaborate more so I can decide if my family will be happy eating here?

StillSimbaGirl
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Cape May is also a good choice for breakfast - lots of leisurely character interaction...but not nearly as crazy as Chef Mickeys (makes it a clear winner IMHO on the breakfast front!)!

I love Chef Mickey's for dinner - but it is loud and crazy.

If the kid loves Winnie the Pooh etc., Crystal Palace cannot be beat.

I'm not a huge fan of Liberty Tree Tavern - don't like food served "family style."

Don't have a problem with Akershus - food's always been adequate...we're there for the princesses!

1900 Park Fare - very good for a buffet.

CRT - we greatly enjoyed our meal.

Disneyatic
05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
We did breakfast at Akershaus on our trip last year and really enjoyed it. The food was good and we are not really adventurous eaters! The variety of princesses were great too.
When we asked DD where she wanted to eat on our next trip she said "Akershaus, but not Cinderella's castle, their food was gross"

Our favorite was Liberty Tree Tavern. The characters were great, especially Goofy. He tripped and lost his shoe while we were there and DD still talks about it.

Another one we had fun at was breakfastosauras. The characters were fun and the servers got in on it, the food was average though and the buffet line was a bit long and slow.

Mickey91
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
We love Chef Mickeys for breakfast and Liberty Tree Tavern for Dinner!