PDA

View Full Version : Lagoon View or not?

emmatink
04-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Is the 800+ price increase in a room worth it at the Grand Floridian just to see the castle and the lagoon? We don't plan on being in the room that much but staying at such a nice resort is a once in a lifetime experience for us. :mickey:

BigRedDad
04-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I think that is something you have to decide for yourself. $800 to you may not be the same as $800 to me. Another thing to consider is if this will be a once in a life time event.

When DW and I were on our honeymoon, we decided we were going to have are children's first trip to Disney to be memorable. We were going to go all out at the Poly or Contemporary. However, as reality sets in, I think we are going to hold off that decision until she is 3 or 4.

In all seriousness, $800 to upgrade a room is extravagant. That is more money than many people make in a week. It is what my DW makes before taxes each week. Think how much time you will spend in your room. Then weigh what you may have to give up by spending that $800.

LM0601
04-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Last year we stayed at the Polynesian/Concierge/LV. It was awesome! Even through we got a fantastic group rate, it was still more then I would have normally spent. It was a wonderful experience. We had THE BEST view! We were on the third floor of the Hawaii building. We sat on the balcony every night and watched the fireworks. Every morning we went out there and just gazed at the castle. You can hear the Mickey Mouse song as they open for the day. We also enjoyed looking out at the water and watching the boats. I have a ton of pictures of the GF from my balcony. It is so beautiful.

If you can afford it, I would do it at least once! It is something that you will treasure forever!

TammiMcMan
04-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Well, maybe I can make the decision easier for you.... a lagoon view at the GF is not a castle view. You will most likely be overlooking the lagoon, looking towards the old Discovery Island or Poly resort. This year, Disney restructured the room views at the GF and now they have 3 levels, garden, lagoon and theme park. It's going to cost you more than $800 to upgrade from garden to theme park.

Personally, I love the garden view rooms at the GF, because I think they fit in more with the theme. If you really want to see water, you can put in a request for a marina room in the Sago Cay building. They are considered to be in the same category as garden.

mouseketeer mom
04-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Last year we stayed at the Polynesian/Concierge/LV. It was awesome! Even through we got a fantastic group rate, it was still more then I would have normally spent. It was a wonderful experience. We had THE BEST view! We were on the third floor of the Hawaii building. We sat on the balcony every night and watched the fireworks. Every morning we went out there and just gazed at the castle. You can hear the Mickey Mouse song as they open for the day. We also enjoyed looking out at the water and watching the boats. I have a ton of pictures of the GF from my balcony. It is so beautiful.

If you can afford it, I would do it at least once! It is something that you will treasure forever!

I'm with you Lisa. We stayed at the Poly LVC this past September., and oh boy, was it worth it. It was a decision I tinkered with for awhile before locking into the lagoon view because it was about $1,000 more for us then the GVC, which we had stayed in the past and really enjoyed. Well, am I glad we did it. The LVC was an experience like no other! We watched the fireworks from our patio every nite almost, we went to sleep, and woke up looking at the castle, I feel like I never left the park we were still very connected to the Magic Kingdom. The lagoon was bee-u-ti-ful to behold. We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it, and are doing it again at Thanksgiving. We since stayed at AKL and WL and unfortunatley, or fortunatley, no matter how you look at it, that experience spoiled us. Nothing else can compare.

NLODisney
04-28-2007, 01:31 PM
We have only paid more at the AKL to have a savanah view. I usually book garden views and we have had great rooms at the Poly with lagoon or marina views and also were up-graded at the BC concierge to a water view which was nice but I wouldn't pay extra for unless it was for a really special reason.

DVC2004
04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
It depends on you. We've upgraded to a room with a view only at AKL (savannah) and Contemporary (Tower, MK Side). At the Poly we have always booked garden view and took a stroll if we wanted to view the castle. We don't spend a ton of time in the room either and honestly there was only 1 night we were all in the room at the Contemporary when we viewed the MK fireworks. I'd say save the money and splurge on a fireworks cruise in the seven seas lagoon!

SBETigg
04-28-2007, 03:54 PM
We went for a lagoon view at the GF for our August vacation. It's a $675 difference for us, not $800. The MK view is only $300 more from that, but the MK views were sold out for us. Go for the MK view if it's available.

The lagoon view is still worth it for us because we love all the views from that area. But, a garden view at the GF is very nice as well and if you want to save money, a great way to go. The GF grounds are absolutely lovely.

thejens
04-28-2007, 07:58 PM
It really depends how much difference that money means to you. I must say we spent extra for Savannah view at AKL and I wouldn't bother next time. The view was nice, but we spent very little time in the room and nearly all of it was sleeping! We enjoyed looking at the animals from the many other viewing areas. I imagine that if I were going to the Poly or GF I would simply go outside to see the fireworks. We are staying at the BC next and I asked for a standard room. I do hope I wont get the roof, but I don't think it would matter much as I wont be in the room much. :mickey: