PDA

View Full Version : FastPass for First timers

BashfulMom
04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
My family and I are going to MK on July 14 and I was hoping someone could clear up my misgivings about the FastPass system.:confused:

I don't know why but it seems to me that you could spend a good portion of your time running from one FastPass kiosk to another and squeezing everything else in between times.

Am I way off base?

faline
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
While is might seem that way on the surface, it generally works to your benefit particularly when you are there during the busy summer months.

For example, you're interested in Expedition Everest so you get a fast pass first thing in the morning (9:00 a.m.). Your fast pass return time might be between 1 p.m. - 2 p.m. You move on and do other things in the park. Around 11:00 a.m., you would be able (2 hours after your first fast pass was issued) to get another fast pass for the Safari. This fast pass is good for 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. After lunch, you make your way to Expedition:Everest for your ride and then continue your activities until it's time for your Safari fast pass.

Must better than waiting in long lines!

Bruegge
04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Always READ you fast pass ticket to see WHEN you can get your next fastpass... It may be just when the start time begins ( 1:00 like first example) or two hours after the first one was issued (would be 11:00 in first example) or sooner in some cases.. It's all computer/supply/demand driven.

Scott

MOJoe
04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
If you have misgivings about the FastPass, you probably don't understand how it works. Once you obtain a FastPass, you will not be able to get another one for a set amount of time. While the time varies wildly, you can't really run from one kiosk to another gathering as many as you can.
What the FastPass does is allow you a guarantee that you can experience a favorite attraction with virtually no wait. The only drawback is that you must visit the attraction to get the FastPass, and then return when it is your time. Also there is a limited number of FastPasses. Soarin, for example, on a busy day, can run out of them by 11:00. So you don't want to wait too long to get one. But if you have one, the feeling you get while you are walking to the front of the line - skipping that 90 minute wait - is Great! What's not to like about that? :thumbsup:

BashfulMom
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
The only drawback is that you must visit the attraction to get the FastPass, and then return when it is your time. :

That is exactly what I was feeling. It seemed like you would do quite a bit of doubling back. I do see the benefit - I just need to figure out the "must see's" and go from there.

Thank you all.

mjm
04-27-2007, 04:24 PM
The trick is to figure out what ride you *most* want to get a fast pass for first. Then rush to that ride first thing in the morning.

After that you can plan your route in the park based on what the next available time it is for you to be able to get your next Fast Pass. That way you will, hopefully, be close to the next ride you want a Fast Pass for so you won't be running across the park just to get a Fast Pass.

Remember, as the others wrote, Fast Passes do run out. You'll also be amazed at how quickly the return times printed on the Fast Passes get spread out as the day progresses. Don't be suprised that the Fast Pass you pick up at 11am may have a return time of 5pm or later! So, there'll be plenty of "regular park walking" in between going back to the rides you have Fast Passes for.

AuntLaura
04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
It's hard to describe, but I have talked to a lot of people before they went to WDW and when they come back, they figured the FastPass out after a day or so. I think you'll find you like it. It really beats standing in line. I agree with the previous posts - get a Fast Pass for one popular ride, and then head to another. The FastPasses usually start 1 hour after park opening. You cannot get more than one FP at a time anyway, so no, you won't be running from kiosk to kiosk. Epcot: run and get a FP at Soarin' and then go to TestTrack/Mission Space. By the time you are done with those, it will be time to go to Soarin'. If you don't get a FP at one or the other, you'll spend more time in lines. At MK, the Mountains are real popular, JungleCruise, Winnie and Buzz. At MGM, ToT and RnRC. Good luck.

Mikey Piano 23
04-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Don't forget for the most popular attractions Fast Passes sell out. Sometimes this happens really fast! Especially on days with extra magic hours at that park. My advise to you is get a fast past that you desire most and then take it from there. Have fun!!! :mickey:

Mickey91
04-28-2007, 11:49 AM
In our family of 4, the boys like the thrills and the girls not. But, in Frontierland, my DD and I will get fast passes for BTM and the boys will get them fo SplM and then the boys have two rides they can go on around the same time. DD and I will ride other things or shop while they are gone. It works great like that at RRC & ToT and MS & TT. Just a tip if part of your family likes the thrills and some don't. It maximizes your fun time and minimizes the walking as long as the attractions are near one another in return times. We do the same at EE. They get to ride twice! Have a fun time!! The fast pass is your best friend and it is FREE!!!!

dumbo ears
04-28-2007, 12:34 PM
its really nothing like that. fastpasses have a certain time on them until you can get another so u won't have to worry about running around getting fastpasses. just get them for the most popular atractions.

Meteora
04-28-2007, 03:00 PM
I definitely see what you're saying, but we have usually found that it doesn't really work like that. We usually go during Christmas week--the busiest time--and maybe do two fastpasses a day. It does involve a bit of extra walking, but fps generally enhance your experience rather than dominating it entirely.

My advice is that if you don't want to do a lot of "doubling-back," have one person from your party go get fps for the entire group while the rest of you relax or do something else. Just make sure your designated fp-getter has all of the tickets. It works out really well if someone in your party likes to get some extra exercise (got to love those gym-hogs) or doesn't want to go on a ride everyone else would like to try (for instance, I won't go on any ride with a large drop).

The fact is, it's simply not possible to run around accumulating fps. The only park where it's really irritating to walk back and forth from attractions is Epcot, due to its set-up. The rest more or less are circular, so you can get the fp, go along one way, and come around back later. For Epcot, I would highly recommend that you send one fp-getter and meet him or her elsewhere. Getting a fp, going somewhere else, and coming back is a lot of walking in Epcot, even for this youthful 22 year-old.