PDA

View Full Version : old school disney'ers... a question.

figment
04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
when i was a kid... we went to disney twice and both times we rented a golf cart that we could drive around the resorts that we stayed at.

when did they get rid off this luxury and why?

just curious...

eeyoremom
04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Golf carts are still available at Fort Wilderness. They're a lot of fun. We've been going to Disney for many years, and I do not remember them at any other resorts. Some of my kids favorite memories are riding around on the golf carts. You do not have to be staying at Fort Wilderness to rent one, but it cannot leave the campground property. We have gone there and rented a cart for an hour or 2, it's still a lot of fun.

BigRedDad
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I can only remember golf carts available at Fort Wilderness. I never recall them at the Contemporary or Polynesian. We never rented one. My dad made us walk everywhere.

figment
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
yeah... i wish i could remember the names of the resorts... no doubt they've changed now though. all i remember is that the rooms were a one bedroom suite and were brown (kinda like a treehouse maybe?) and we were on a golf course...

but yes.. the golf carts were fun.

Goofeygal
04-27-2007, 09:18 AM
The only resort I know of that ever rented golf carts is Fort Wilderness campground.

figment
04-27-2007, 09:24 AM
man... maybe my mind is playing with me... i never thought we stayed at fort wilderness.

i'll have to go and ask the parents now.

thanks all.

MidnTPK
04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
It could have been one of the late Lake Buena Vista resorts. I remember staying there with my family in the late 70s-early 80s, and they were on a golf course. They had tree-house accommodations that are still there. They were part of the Disney Institute for a while and now house international cast members, if my memory is serving me correctly.

I think the resorts over there have been replaced by Key West, Port Orleans, and Saratoga Springs.

eeyoremom
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Figment, I think you are correct. You are describing the tree house villas. I do think they may have had golfcarts also. We never stayed there. The villas are no longer open to the public. We were told they are used for international students at Disney. They were damaged some during hurricanes and they no longer pass disability rules. They do look neat tho.

BigRedDad
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
When you said old school, I thought you mean way back in the day when they opened. I don't know when the Treehouse Villas opened, but I don't even think it was in the 80s. Only thing I can think of is that you were at another resort with a golf course.