PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Gives Back?

ToraTory
04-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of the show is American Idol, right? If that's the case then why the majority of the focus last night on A.I. Gives Back about devastation in Africa. Please do not label me, I sympathize and empathize with the plights of people from all over the world but can we please remember that there are plenty of people in the US that need our help too.

I saw one clip in particular about shipping medication to other countries and how cheap it was, I believe the figure was $2. If that's the case (that medicine can be supplied to people for $2) then why are senior citizens in the US having to cut their pills in half to make a month's supply last for two months? The show spoke repeatedly about health care problems in Africa, when did everyone in the US get healthcare?

I also saw video of 13 people living in one shack, again in Africa. What about people in the inner cities in the US? What about Katrina victims who are still living in a trailer? I must admit that I did see one portion of the show about using donations in the US. It was showing kid packs that would delivered to help children’s self esteem. The pack included toy footballs, crayons and boom boxes. What?

Lastly I went on the American Idol Gives Back website and clicked on “Where the money goes US”. I felt some relief in that I could see some funds being used for medicine, housing or other issues in the US. What is the first thing I saw on the page:

“$50 can provide a family of 5 in Africa with enough food to last for one week. $20 can cover all costs to send a child to school in an Urban Slum in Africa for a month. $1 is the average cost of saving a life from Malaria.”

I think I’ll send my donation directly to a charity that focuses on the US, is there such a thing? Can’t we take care of our own before worrying about the rest of the world? American Idol indeed.

-- tory

SBETigg
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I thought it was a really inspiring show, and I think it's great to be educated on conditions all over the world, not just in our own backyard- though making a difference at home is also very important. The bottom line is that the money IS going to American charities as well as to help people in other countries. I know someone who volunteers at a homeless shelter in Atlanta that is directly benefitting from the show, and she is so pleased! The world is a better place when we help each other.

If you want to help a local charity, Tory, that's wonderful. I'm sure you can find area shelters that need your help without much trouble. And why not give time as well as money? Volunteering personally feels even better than writing a check.

PirateLover
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I also saw video of 13 people living in one shack, again in [/COLOR]Africa. What about people in the inner cities in the US[COLOR=black]? What about Katrina victims who are still living in a trailer?

To me, there is no comparison between the poor of America and those who live in absolute filth, squalor, and disease in third world contries. Although there are certainly plenty of poverty problems in the US, we have many more programs in place to benefit our poor and needy than they do in Africa.

You have every right to give to whatever charity you choose.
You have every right to question where the money really goes to- in the past there have been plenty of issues with money raised for Africa being basically stolen by warlords and never really reaching the people it was intended for...

But please, don't try to underplay the suffering that goes on in these places. It is very real, and it is something that we as Americans can never really understand.

MNNHFLTX
04-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Tory, you make some valid points about there being a very real need for adequate and affordable healthcare, lodging and education for everyone living right here in the United States. And if you are most comfortable donating to charities that focus on the needs of our own citizens, I think that is fine.

However, I do think there is a global responsibility to help relieve suffering in areas of the world where the scope of the problem exceeds that government's ability to manage it. I have colleagues with personal experience helping to treat HIV+ populations in parts of Africa and as they mentioned last night on American Idol--the problem is huge, almost beyond belief. Without the help of outside agencies, there would not be a chance to even treat these people, let alone try to stop the epidemic. Therefore, I think American Idol's inclusion of this cause on their show last night was appropriate.

Marker
04-26-2007, 05:30 PM
It never ceases to amaze me. Someone does something good and yet the critics still find reason to complain. Somehow, no matter what they do, they don't do it "right".

I've been looking for statistic that Ryan Seacrest mentioned last night, but can't find it. However, he did say that a majority (I seem to remember it being a significant majority) of the funds raised would be used here in the United States. They also mentioned (I believe it was Paula) that money was going to help people in the entire Mississippi Basen, not JUST New Orleans.

Why so much to Afirca, because the need is so great. The scope of the problems is tremendous. To just us the Malaria example they mentioned there are 2,000,000 people dying each year of malaria, 1 in 5 children dying before their 5th birthday. All for lack of an inexpensive medication. While the are no deaths from malaria in this country. Hunger is not just hunger, it's famine. There's a huge difference. There's also the idea of stretching the dollars to get the greater benefit. Is it better to spend $20 giving a child school supplies and books, or use the same money to keep 6 or 7 children alive. It's all need, it's all valid.

Bottom line, they're all children. How can it be bad, or inappropriate to help any of them. They're all children!!!!!

If you don't want to give to an organization that provides help outside of this country, that's your choice. But likewise, those who choose to give, and choose to try to help, should not be criticized, at least they're doing something, and not just complaining.

Tick-Tock
04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I've been looking for statistic that Ryan Seacrest mentioned last night, but can't find it. However, he did say that a majority (I seem to remember it being a significant majority) of the funds raised would be used here in the United States. They also mentioned (I believe it was Paula) that money was going to help people in the entire Mississippi Basen, not JUST New Orleans.

I believe he said that the money was to be split 50/50 between the U.S. charities and the African charities.

Wayne
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM
To me, there is no comparison between the poor of America and those who live in absolute filth, squalor, and disease in third world contries. Although there are certainly plenty of poverty problems in the US, we have many more programs in place to benefit our poor and needy than they do in Africa.

You have every right to give to whatever charity you choose.
You have every right to question where the money really goes to- in the past there have been plenty of issues with money raised for Africa being basically stolen by warlords and never really reaching the people it was intended for...

But please, don't try to underplay the suffering that goes on in these places. It is very real, and it is something that we as Americans can never really understand.

AMEN.

Tinkermom
04-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I did not see American Idol but I am a part of the ONE campaign and got an e-mail from them that they would be having a spot on American Idol. I saw Bono in an interview with Bill Hybels (Willow Creek Church) at a christian conference last year and it was just amazing. I had no idea Bono would be so inspiring. He talked about the ways we could irradicate hunger and poverty. It is a daunting task but one that I feel I need to support. If you are interested in finding out more you can go to ONE dot org.

2Epcot
04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
I believe he said that the money was to be split 50/50 between the U.S. charities and the African charities.

Yes, that is what Ryan said. The money is being split between U.S. and Africa.

gueli
04-27-2007, 04:19 AM
I am surprised.
I thought that many of us knew about the problems in other parts of the world, and the scope & tragedy of human lives that are affected.
I would hope that when you consider giving to a charity that you are choosing to affect someone's life. Wether it is here or abroad should not matter. Do what you think is correct.

"We are the world, we are the people"
:mickey:

NotaGeek
04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the title of the show is American Idol, right? If that's the case then why the majority of the focus last night on A.I. Gives Back about devastation in Africa. Please do not label me, I sympathize and empathize with the plights of people from all over the world but can we please remember that there are plenty of people in the US that need our help too.

I saw one clip in particular about shipping medication to other countries and how cheap it was, I believe the figure was $2. If that's the case (that medicine can be supplied to people for $2) then why are senior citizens in the US having to cut their pills in half to make a month's supply last for two months? The show spoke repeatedly about health care problems in Africa, when did everyone in the US get healthcare?

I also saw video of 13 people living in one shack, again in Africa. What about people in the inner cities in the US? What about Katrina victims who are still living in a trailer? I must admit that I did see one portion of the show about using donations in the US. It was showing kid packs that would delivered to help children’s self esteem. The pack included toy footballs, crayons and boom boxes. What?

Lastly I went on the American Idol Gives Back website and clicked on “Where the money goes US”. I felt some relief in that I could see some funds being used for medicine, housing or other issues in the US. What is the first thing I saw on the page:

“$50 can provide a family of 5 in Africa with enough food to last for one week. $20 can cover all costs to send a child to school in an Urban Slum in Africa for a month. $1 is the average cost of saving a life from Malaria.”

I think I’ll send my donation directly to a charity that focuses on the US, is there such a thing? Can’t we take care of our own before worrying about the rest of the world? American Idol indeed.

-- tory

You can thank the US companies that produce drugs for not allowing better pricing inside our borders. It's all about money for them.

And the difference would be that people in Africa most time have NO opportunities to better themselves. There's no state offered assistance. No food stamps, no unemployment office, no McDonalds or Starbucks for a job to at entry level. People in our country have opportunities to better themselves, many peope in Africa, especially war torn and drought ridden countries are lucky to eat once a week.

Charitable giving shouldn't be spark judgemental onslaught. This was a good thing.

ToraTory
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm afraid my point was lost in the translation here... please allow me to clarify. I am not saying that we need to seal up our borders and ignore the rest of the world. I am not saying no one should give to charities in Africa. I am not saying that the concept of saving the entire world is not a good thing.

What I am saying is this charity should begin at home. I am saying that our country is not so perfect that we can afford to help everyone else first. I am saying that if you think people can afford decent healthcare, quality food and housing on a McDonalds or Walmart salary then you are truly living in an eutopian world, not the real world. We cannot continue to blame drug companies or blame the president or whoever or whatever and not consider attempting to change some of the problems ourself. We can at least consider the fact that there are people in THIS country that need our help as much as other countries. That is all I'm suggesting.

I agree that A.I. Gives Back was a wonderful concept all I asked was couldn't they show that funds were going to the US for other causes besides self esteem gift packs. Please don't slam me for having a different opinion, I mean no disrespect. I'll leave you with one last thought:

A man has 3 sons, his cousin has 3 sons. The man's sons all desparately need new shoes. Their shoes are old and worn, do not fit, contain holes, and leak when it rains. His cousins sons do not have shoes at all. The man acquires a small amount of money. Does he buy his son's new shoes, or does he give the money to his cousin's sons for shoes?

-- tory

NotaGeek
04-28-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm afraid my point was lost in the translation here... please allow me to clarify. I am not saying that we need to seal up our borders and ignore the rest of the world. I am not saying no one should give to charities in Africa. I am not saying that the concept of saving the entire world is not a good thing.

What I am saying is this charity should begin at home. I am saying that our country is not so perfect that we can afford to help everyone else first. I am saying that if you think people can afford decent healthcare, quality food and housing on a McDonalds or Walmart salary then you are truly living in an eutopian world, not the real world. We cannot continue to blame drug companies or blame the president or whoever or whatever and not consider attempting to change some of the problems ourself. We can at least consider the fact that there are people in THIS country that need our help as much as other countries. That is all I'm suggesting.

I agree that A.I. Gives Back was a wonderful concept all I asked was couldn't they show that funds were going to the US for other causes besides self esteem gift packs. Please don't slam me for having a different opinion, I mean no disrespect. I'll leave you with one last thought:

A man has 3 sons, his cousin has 3 sons. The man's sons all desparately need new shoes. Their shoes are old and worn, do not fit, contain holes, and leak when it rains. His cousins sons do not have shoes at all. The man acquires a small amount of money. Does he buy his son's new shoes, or does he give the money to his cousin's sons for shoes?

-- tory

A Walmart salary or a McDonalds salary is thousands more than most working class people in any third world country make. And trust me when I say I don't think people can live on those salaries, but there is always the option in America to WORK. To better yourself. Go to school. We are a country that provides options. I wasn't blaming drug companies, the President or anyone for a person's financial misfortune. I am a staunch liberal that is very conservative when it comes to these matters. I believe that ANYONE in America can have a better life, if they so choose. My comment on drug companiies was responding to your original question.

And sorry, but your little shoe analogy is lost on me. I believe there's also a book out there that says something about "that which you do for the least of my brothers, you do unto me."

I think it's best if we agree to disagree on this.

AdventurerKim
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Some of the money raised with American Idol Gives Back is supposedly going to Katrina victims. In the Times-Picayune this past week, Randy Jackson was photographed with a group of kids in a gutted house in a more devastated area of New Orleans.

tyandskyesmom
04-30-2007, 01:27 PM

-- tory

I agree with you and I think I understand what you were saying. DH and I kinda said the same thing while watching. We do not consider ourselves in any position to donate time or money right now to anyone...we do what we can locally (which is food drives, change round ups, things like that) and while we heard Ryan give the split briefly, we thought there was way too much Africa in there. If the money was to be donated 50/50 then the time on the show could have been also. I understand the need. I understand that we are a Nation in a "better" position that many. But we, as a whole, still have people fighting to survive everyday and it just would have been nice to see more of the compasion for the US...not necessarily to put less focus on Africa or to donate less funds to Africa but some more basic general acknowledgement of the US part of the drive would have been appropriate. We also though the "self esteem" packs were kind of odd too.

I understand, also, that we need to contribute to the good of the world not just at home but I also do not think it is the US's obligation, just becasue we have apparently prospered, to take care of anyone else...notice I said "not our obligation", not that we should not just that it is not our obligation.

This is just my opinion and anyone who can contribute to any and all causes is greatly needed and appretiated.