PDA

View Full Version : The Polynesian - Is it worth it ?

gueli
04-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Is the Poly worth the extra money ? I have always wanted to stay here, but is the resort something special? How are the rooms...The atmousephere (yeah i'm trying to be punny) ?
which 'longhouse' have you stayed in? are there any to avoid (bad view,etc). I have read some nice things about the Tokelau (spelling ?) are they on target? Are the rooms quiet ?
Would you stay here again?
What was your most memorable experience here at the poly ?
How is the bus service to the other parks (MGM & AK, and the water parks)?
Can you see the fireworks from here? If so where is best to view (non-concierge)?
I am trying to plan a very memorable vacation, my DH is 5 & this will be her 1st time at WDW. My wife & I last stayed in 'Dixie landings' back in 2000 (now POR)- and went to the lau at the poly. Recently we have had some tragedies & I was in no mood/couldn't celebrate my birthday properly- so DW & I decided to put off my B'day celebration until sept (12-20th), and so we booked a Garden view room at the poly...
Needless to say thank you for any who comment...I would love to hear as much about the poly as anyone is willing to tell.
:mickey:
Gueli

Dicecatt262
04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Is the Poly worth the extra money ? I have always wanted to stay here, but is the resort something special? How are the rooms...The atmousephere (yeah i'm trying to be punny) ?
which 'longhouse' have you stayed in? are there any to avoid (bad view,etc). I have read some nice things about the Tokelau (spelling ?) are they on target? Are the rooms quiet ?
Would you stay here again?
What was your most memorable experience here at the poly ?
How is the bus service to the other parks (MGM & AK, and the water parks)?
Can you see the fireworks from here? If so where is best to view (non-concierge)?
I am trying to plan a very memorable vacation, my DH is 5 & this will be her 1st time at WDW. My wife & I last stayed in 'Dixie landings' back in 2000 (now POR)- and went to the lau at the poly. Recently we have had some tragedies & I was in no mood/couldn't celebrate my birthday properly- so DW & I decided to put off my B'day celebration until sept (12-20th), and so we booked a Garden view room at the poly...
Needless to say thank you for any who comment...I would love to hear as much about the poly as anyone is willing to tell.
Gueli

Is the Poly worth it? That really depends. How much time do you spend at the resort? We love the Poly, it is our #1 choice. I too had always wanted to stay there, and yes, it is something very special. The atmosphere is relaxing and deluxe. The rooms are large and roomy. I've stayed in the Hawaii building. If I had a regular Garden View room, I'd probably pick either Tahiti or Tokelau. Bus service is fine, not outstanding but not bad, it is the bus. Monorail access is outstanding to have. I would stay here again in a hearbeat, and I am, in September.

Fireworks viewing is so good that we actually travelled from POFQ when we stayed there to watch at the Poly. My favorite spot is up on the hill in between the Volcano Pool beach and the beach in front of Tahiti. I even saw Tink fly from that spot and it is quiet, with not that many people around, if any.

I'll be there from 8th-15 this year.

luvkatiebug
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Is it worth it?..... Well, you'll get every opinion in the book for this one.

I got to stay there one time with my "rich" sister, when I was in college, and it was wonderful. There is nothing like the convenience of the monorail and the nice amenities.

Having said that, I may never get to stay there as an adult who is a teacher, married to a teacher with 2 kids. We only get to Disney about every 3 or so years, and we usually stay at a value, or maybe a moderate resort. Our budget is not so grand. It is hard to justify paying so much for a hotel room when you spend so little time in the room.

Now, if we ever won the lottery, or something, I would not hesitate to go back there. I say if you can afford it, then definitely do it! I do think one day, DH and I may split a week staying there and maybe a value resort. Enjoy either way! :mickey:

threeh
04-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I think it is hard to put on price tag on things. To my family it is worth it. The Poly is IMHO the most convieient of all locations. It is a short walk to TTC where you can hop on a monorail to EPCOT, you can take the monorail or a boat to the magic kingdom. The atmosphere can't be beat, tropical feel, lush greens and the tiki torches and poly music is amazing. As for the fireworks, we would actually leave the MK to come back to our room to see the fireworks becasue the view was just as good and not as crowded as the park. I could go on and on.

I don't know if you've heard of tikimans site, but he has all the Poly pictures and info you could ever need.

I have heard of requesting a room close to ttc then it is an even shorter walk there.

Again good luck, happy planning!!!:thumbsup:

Google tikiman 2001 and enjoy!!!:mickey:

Belle619
04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
We actually just stayed there for the first time in March and we really enjoyed it. Our room wasn't one of the newly renovated, but as the others have said - the proximity to MK was worth it for us! And the theming was very nice, but I have to admit that I've always been fond of the Polynesian culture. The beach and fireworks were another big plus.

If money is not a huge issue (lets face it, it is somewhat of an issue to most of us) then I would stay there for at least for part of a trip.

pox24
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Every penny.... Don't even think about it. Book any room now and take me with you!

Dicecatt262
04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Our room wasn't one of the newly renovated, but as the others have said - the proximity to MK was worth it for us!

I'm confused...I thought all rooms were now revovated? They were tearing up the last of them last September when I was there, Tokealau and Tahiti were down...

BrerGnat
04-27-2007, 05:34 PM
That is a tough question to ask in general. It's like asking "is a Mercedes worth it?" Depending on who you ask, and how much of a sacrifice the money is, you will get a different answer.

With that said, we are starting to plan our first "family" trip (our boys will be 4 and 2 when we go). I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Polynesian, and I have to say, it's not an easy couple grand to spend. We don't have the money sitting around or anything...we'll have to save hard for it. BUT, it IS worth it to me. The monorail is what sold me on it. That and the zero entry pool, EXCELLENT on site restaurants, large rooms, beautiful grounds, the beach for my kids to play in the sand, etc. I have stayed at several WDW resorts and I fully comprehend the idea of "worth" when it comes to vacation accommodations. While I DO think that the Polynesian rooms are exceedingly high priced for what they are (and face it, Disney's "Deluxe" hotels are not 100% deluxe in the way that non-Disney deluxe hotels are deluxe), I understand why they are priced high and that is due to their location. When you are travelling with little ones, close proximity to AT LEAST one park is a bonus, and the ability to hop on a monorail to Epcot is a plus as well.

The other hotel I was considering was the Yacht Club. While I really, really want to try an Epcot resort, for the money, the Poly is actually a better deal (bigger rooms, bigger bathrooms), more dining options.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Poly.

I am debating staying concierge, but if not, we'll just do a garden view, and I'll request Tokelau or Samoa (so we can be close to the pool/Great Ceremonial House).

The rooms in Tokelau, Tahiti, and Rapa Nui are larger than the rest. They are longer, so have more space on the sides of the beds, as well as double sinks in the bathrooms and balconies on all floors. The older buildings have patios on ground level and then balconies on the third floor, but the second floor only has a step out balcony, not a full sized one.

And, ALL the rooms are renovated now. They finished up the last of them very recently, per tikiman's site.

mickeefan
04-27-2007, 07:16 PM
WE love the Polynesian in every way.
Our favorite garden view is Samoa. On one side you face the volcano pool and on the other you face the quiet pool. You are also close to the GCH.

LudwigVonDrake
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I am staying at the Poly :tikki: for the first time in July!! :tikki:

KarenP
04-28-2007, 10:50 AM
My stays at Polynesian have been worth every penny. I love the resort and everything about it! Hawaii is my favorite buidling, but that is concierge. I also like Tokelau and Samoa.

dolphinmickey9170
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Google tikiman 2001 and enjoy!!!:mickey:
After checking out this website, I want to stay there too. It seems that it would truly be worth it no matter which building you were in.

We leave in 6 days. I can't wait!!

mecarroll
04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
DW and I are going to WDW in December and currently booked at AKL. I am considering switching, as a surprise to her, to the Poly. I hear the Christmas decorations are not quite as good at the Poly...or shall I say, the resort is just not as Christmasie as other resorts. What say ya'll?

Maleficent's Dad
04-29-2007, 07:37 AM
"Worth" and "Value" vary greatly when going from person to person... Is the Poly "worth it?" On these boards, you'll get an overwhelming "YES!" as the Poly's pretty popular here.

The following represent my (and my family's) opinions.

Poly Pros:
- Transportation (this is the Poly's #1 asset as you can walk to the TTC and get direct monorails to both MK and EPCOT; there are also boats, buses, and a walkway to the GF - Poly is #1 in transportation convenience!)
- Zero Entry Pool with volcano slide
- Relaxing atmosphere
- View of MK (& wishes)
- Size of a "standard room" at the Poly is spacious

Poly Cons:
- Dining (Kona was good, O'hana's was a disaster both times for us; for a deluxe resort, we feel Poly's lacking big time in dining options)
- Lobby and GCH - this is one loud and busy, bustling, crowded area. WL and GF have bustling lobbies as well, but you never get that rushed, harried feeling that the Poly's lobby gives
- Separated buildings - just a pet peeve of ours. We like the all-in-one enclosed fixtures (like the WL) that so few of Disney's resorts have!

So is it worth it? Many will tell you yes, many would never dream of paying those prices. You're paying for a resort with incredible convenience and a very nice atmosphere. While it's not our favorite, it is a pretty darned nice place.

Not sure if you have a son or daughter (your post says "DH is 5"), but our kids are happy at any resort. We choose the resort based on what we (mom & dad) want! :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
04-29-2007, 08:01 AM
:mickey: I always wanted to stay there too and I did for the first time in Jan. I fell in love with it:thumbsup: It is absolutely my all time favorite. We stayed in the Tokelau building. It was great. I loved the grounds, the restaurants, the shops, the pool, the aracade, the food court, everything. Everyone was so nice and friendly. The monoral was great. We didn't use the buses so I can't help you there, sorry. I think it's worth it. I can't afford it everytime but I will certainly save up for it:papple: :lei:

Mom2princesses
04-29-2007, 08:16 AM
This will be our third visit in a row that we will be staying at the Poly. It has easy access to the MK and Epcot via the monorail and it also has boat transportation as well. Now I know that the GF and CR also have this but I love the look and feel of the Poly.
I feel very uncomfortable at the GF. As soon as I walk into the lobby I know I am in WDW. :) The resturants are wonderful both Ohana and Kona Cafe. You will see them praised on this site over and over again. The rooms are spacious and with kids that is a big plus. The volcano pool is a very big hit with the older kids and they do have a zero entry pool which is great for the younger ones.

The CM's and service are great. I don't think you would regret staying here. We don't go to WDW as often as a lot of people on this site seem to do so we save up and have been lucky to be able to afford the $$$ for the poly.

Have a wonderful trip wherever you stay!
:tikki: :lei:

mouseketeer mom
04-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh yes, its worth it.. Its hard for me to stay anywhere else. IMO it tops the other resorts in every way. We love, love, love it.

Willowwind
04-29-2007, 08:39 AM
If your wallet can handle the Poly, do it at least once. For me the Poly is the most transporting and captivating of all Disney Resorts.

We're staying there in December. I requested Fiji because Iove hearing the drums from the Luau. My family enjoys the dinning options there as well, and with two other hotels right on the monorail it adds to the available choices.

MindyMouse
04-29-2007, 09:54 AM
The Poly was definitely worth the money spent for us. Our son was 22 mo. at the time and it was so nice to jump on the monorail from MK and be back at the room in no time for a nap.

We stayed in Rarotonga with a view of the quiet pool. It was just spectacular. The room was newly renovated and very nice.

And as for the atmosphere . . . you just can't beat it. Everythings is just so green and luscious.

We are headed back in May, 2009. it's not soon enough for my satisfaction!

mttafire
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
It all depends..Sometimes we dont have enough money to stay at a Deluxe resort(thats my fault) for not saving enough or working enough overtime. When we plan on a Disney trip i try to get all the O.T. i can. That way we CAN afford a Deluxe or Moderate resort.:mickey: I LOVE the Poly ( Contemporary R.) is our personal favorite though. IF you have the extra money then YES, Its worth it. If all you can afford is a Value, Then thats GREAT also. I actually like as movies alot. To answer your original question..YES!! The Poly IS worth it.

Spaceship Tigger
04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm someone who previously thought that the Poly was both overrated and overpriced. I changed my mind recently and we decided to stay there on our upcoming trip after our WL reservation for free dining went bust. Much of the resort has been rehabbed very recently - I don't know that I would have spent the money based on what it looked like before. The biggest pros about it seem to be the transportation, large rooms, pool/beach area, and the theme in general. I've never been a big fan of the crowded GCH on past visits, but I can get over that.

As far as deluxes go, I still believe that the WL and AKL are a better value, but I'm anxious to try something new.

tikiman
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I totally agree with Mike that the WL and AKL are the best value for a deluxe.

I am surprised to hear of the GCH being crowded and noisy. I have been through it all times of the day more times than I can count and there have only been a few times that I ever thought it was even slightly crowded and hardly ever noisy. I would say around dinner gets busy and there is noise because the music being played (live) at the Tambu Lounge makes people have to talk louder and than during busy times of check in but many times I have just gone and relaxed in the GCH. In the later evenings (after dinner) I almost feel like I am the only one there.

BigBaloo
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
We've stayed at the Poly many times & love it. Assuming you have a 5 year old & will be spending a lot of time in MK it's totally worth it. It's the old real estate cliche, location, location, location. The proximity to TTC & MK can't be beat. We've always had good luck at O'hana & Kona Cafe (we like to do character breakfast on our last day so we can say goodbye to Mickey :mickey: ) For us it's worth it because it's less time waiting on bus lines & more time doing the things we want.

Spaceship Tigger
05-01-2007, 09:13 AM
I am surprised to hear of the GCH being crowded and noisy. I have been through it all times of the day more times than I can count and there have only been a few times that I ever thought it was even slightly crowded and hardly ever noisy. I would say around dinner gets busy and there is noise because the music being played (live) at the Tambu Lounge makes people have to talk louder and than during busy times of check in but many times I have just gone and relaxed in the GCH. In the later evenings (after dinner) I almost feel like I am the only one there.

This is probably true since I have only visited the GCH during dinner times. I'm looking forward to seeing it more relaxed and calm (though our 3 year-old may have something to say about that).

Mom2princesses
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Is the Ploy worth it? Absolutely without a doubt! It's atmosphere and themeing are wonderful. There are two of the best restuarants in WDW right at your finger tips! They have a zero entry pool which is great for kids and they have a very cool Volcano pool too.

The MK and Epcot is just a monorail ride away. For Epcot you need to switch monorails or you could just walk to the TTC and take one.

While the WL looks very nice it is not for us right now because I need the monorail with a 2 soon to be 3 yo along. I want to get back to my hotel ASAP when it is time for her to take a nap! They have boat transportation too!

The rooms are spacious at the Poly and the grounds just beautiful.

So YES the poly is worth it to us it is the BEST resort at WDW.

As far as the GCH being noisy. After all it is the HUB of the resort with two very popular resturants. People are checking in/out. So I don't know what people expect. But most of the time during the day it is fine. I can't think of any main area from any resort being quiet all day long!

What is important to us is that the rooms are quiet. We have stayed in 3 different longhouses and always had a nice peaceful sleep!

Have a great trip!

:lei: :tikki:

Polynesian Dweller
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Our 16 years at the Poly are our answer. It is the most relaxing spot in the entire WDW resort. Fireworks most nights, electric water pageant, TTC nearby (makes transportation a breeze), fantastic themeing. The new rehabed rooms are now top quality.

Worth every penny. :tikki: :papple: :tikki:

threeh
05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Polynesain dweller, LOVE the name!!!:thumbsup:

DisneyBarb
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
We stayed with our kids for the first time when they were 5 & 7 because they were having a special, now they dont' want to stay anywhere else! So they know we can't go as often but when we go we stay at the Poly, we love the atmosphere, and hopping on the monorail with a 5 year old is great!

You can get the monorail to Epcot also from the TTC which is great!

You can actually see the fireworks from swimming in the pool..

I say its worth it but remember it would be hard to stay anywhere else afterwards...

We will be going for the 3rd time in Nov!:mickey:

gueli
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
To everyone who has written- Thanks :thumbsup:
I really appreciate the feedback- knowing it is so positive makes me feel even better about our stay. Please keep any comments coming, I have been checking them daily.
Mike