PDA

View Full Version : Our Town Water

Jeri Lynn
04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Today has been a very busy day for our town. They found out this morning that an excessive amount of sodium hydroxide was introduced into our public water supply. Some people who showered were experiencing red rashes/burns and those who ingested the water were sick. There have been ambulances from all over the state sent to our town to transport those affected. Right now it's been about 30 people, which is low considering our town has 12,000 people in it. However, many of us, including myself have our own private well. The town is flushing out the water system but are advising that the water may not be used until further testing is done, which could be until late tomorrow afternoon.

They have advised people not to shower, drink, cook or wash clothes with the water. They did not mention throwing out water given to pets, hopefully people will remember our little friends too.

merlinmagic4
04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow, I wonder how that happened? Glad you weren't directly affected. I'm sure those numbers will climb. :pixie: to your town!

Jeri Lynn
04-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention the cause, they believe there was a malfunction of some sort in the pump that handles that particular chemical.

ElenitaB
04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
How scary is that! :eek:

Thank goodness you weren't affected directly, thanks to your well. My thoughts go to all who were and to the entire town for this. Hope they figure out soon how it happend and that the lessons learned are passed on.

Scar
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow, hope everything’s OK.

I have lived about 95% of my life with well water. The few years I was subjected to public water were horrible. I can’t see how anybody can drink it. And I’m talking about regular public water, not just when there’s a problem.

crazypoohbear
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Jerri Lynn,
I had heard that because of the fire out there the water supply was diminished and that was the main cause of the water supply.
On channel 5 they said it was too much lye in the water.
I also heard that everyone was suppose to throw out their ice cubes.
I know the news said they were going door to door telling people but I'm wondering what about the people who used the water to make lunches or worse, made up bottles of baby formula and left for the day:confused: :(
I'm glad you have well water but I'd still be nervous!
Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon!

MsMin
04-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Hopefully no one will be seriously injured, especially the young and old. It's scary to think it can happen that easily.

Dsnygirl
04-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Glad to hear you weren't involved -- hoping everyone in your town is okay!! How scarey!

WDWFanatic
04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
I saw that on the news last night also. Hope they can get it fixed for you all today.

I'm sure the kids are feel ripped off that they didn't even get a day out of school for it ;).

I feel really bad for the businesses that can't open.

Good Luck.

RedSoxFan
04-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I saw this on the Today show this morning. How terrible. Hope things get back to normal soon.