PDA

View Full Version : Traveling in Sep/Oct? Southwest *might* release dates tomorrow (Thu.)

King Triton
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I've posted this on a Southwest thread a few days back, but it is worth repeating...and I need to preface this by saying what I'm about to post could be completely wrong, so please don't flame me if thats the case.

For those of you that are considering traveling to Disney or anywhere else in the late August thru October timeframe, there is a reasonable chance that Southwest Airlines may release those dates tomorrow (Thursday, April 26). (Of course, these days whenever Southwest does anything, there's ripple effects all over the place). I'm not saying they'll do this for sure, but there is a chance.

If you care, here's why: Earlier in the year the manager of Southwest scheduling wrote a blog entry on the Southwest site explaining how they do their scheduling. He explained they go by the 120/180 rule, which is: When they get down to 120 days of inventory, they will expand it to 180 days.

At present, as many of you know, Southwest's inventory goes out to August 24. Today is April 25. 120 days from today is August 23, so tomorrow there will be 120 days of inventory left in Southwest's system. Also, add that, even though it isn't set in stone, Southwest always releases new inventory on Thursday morning (I think at 10 AM Eastern, but I'm not positive about that).

If this happens, and its a big if, I would expect the inventory to go out about 180 days. 180 days out takes it to October 23. I think they like to end their inventory on a Friday, so I'm guessing the end date will be October 19 or 26. I'd guess the 26th, since that'll give them more time to get the next schedule together.

Bored yet?? lol

I should also point out that Southwest does not typically have big sales when they release new dates. I think they see how things sell and how other airlines react for a time before they start discounting. But if you're the type that likes to reserve ASAP, tomorrow could be the day.

Again, I should point out this might not happen. At the last date release, Southwest ran several weeks late and people were furious with them for messing up their summer plans. They kind of promised not to do that again. I would think there'd be more pressure internally to get it done this time.

So, take a look over there tomorrow. If they don't release those dates, they'll be late...which makes it even more likely next Thursday.

Fortgoofy97
04-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Great info, either way!:mickey: We have a trip set up for OCT just after Columbus Day and have been waiting for the schedule! Either tomorrow or next week Is ok. Thanks again for the info!!!:number1:

berri_boo
04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
We're traveling to WDW Nov 23 and I'm just waiting for the prices to come out for Jet Blue & Air Tran (we're hoping to fly out of Newburgh, NY). We live between Albany & Newburgh so either way it doesn't matter but we really don't want to fly Southwest again.

wdwjenn
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope it is accurate because I would love to make my flight reservations when I get home from work tomorrow evening. It will be nice to know all of our plans have been made for our October trip :mpumpkin: .
Let's all keep our :fingers:

disneyfan328
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
well, they have been released, but no really great specials at least from Pgh to Orl. Guess we'll still have to play the waiting game and see what happens. It just very frustating. I want to have this done so that I can book, but I know that there has to be better fares than this out there. Guess I will wait for a "ding" fare and hope for the best. I just get sick worrying about getting all of the details taken care of. :ill:

King Triton
04-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Wow! I was actually right for once. Southwest did release dates thru Nov. 2. It looks like they haven't completely updated their website yet, but the dates are available.

For those of you planning out further, using the formula I put in the original post, there will be 120 days of inventory left on July 5. That happens to be a Thursday, so there is a good chance that will be the next release date. 180 days beyond July 5 is January 1, but thats a Tuesday, so I'd think the final date would be January 4 or 11. So my guess right now is SOuthwest will release dates up to January 11 on July 5.

King Triton
04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
well, they have been released, but no really great specials at least from Pgh to Orl. Guess we'll still have to play the waiting game and see what happens. It just very frustating. I want to have this done so that I can book, but I know that there has to be better fares than this out there. Guess I will wait for a "ding" fare and hope for the best. I just get sick worrying about getting all of the details taken care of. :ill:

Yeah, as I also mentioned, or should have, Southwest tends to NOT discount new dates right away. They'll let them sit for a few weeks at least. The flight I'm going on this summer was posted for $104 quite awhile, then was discounted to $49, where it still sits.

disneyfan328
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
no King Triton, you did mention it, I was just hoping :). How long did it take before your fare came down and where do you fly from? I just wish there was a better way than checking 5 or 6 times a day to see what is out there. I have ding at home, but not at work which is where I spend most of my time so its hard. I have the money for the airfare now so I want to get it booked, but not at these prices. geez. I am just hoping that they come down, and soon.:thumbsup:

Fortgoofy97
04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Great news! My fare for OCT is actually discounted already! Not the best I've gotten so we'll probably hold off for a little bit!!