PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi Theatre (MGM) is it any good?

gueli
04-25-2007, 07:01 AM
I have been doing some research for an upcoming trip in september (poly 9 day & 8 nights). I had been given the "offical guide" & recently purchased and read through the "unoffical guide". The unoffical guide "Slams" the food at sci-fi. Has something changed?
I had been to WDW a number of times in the '90's & always enjoyed the food at the sci-fi (the last time was 2000, with the woman who I later married). I remember having good sandwiches there and enjoying the atmosphere. Now we will be traveling with my DD (who is 5).
Any comments on sci - fi would be appreciated...
Thank you
:mickey:

wendy*darling
04-25-2007, 07:33 AM
There are widely varying opinions here on INTERCOT. If you do a search, you will find countless threads on this very topic.

Our family likes Sci-Fi. We find the food to be fine- not superb, but tasty and filling.
We love the atmosphere. Our teen boys still ask to eat here. We have taken other couples to Sci-Fi when we travel without the kids. Everyone enjoys it for the neat, nostalgic feel and uniqueness. No one has complained about poor food quality in all of our visits.
Be forewarned: The film clips are a hoot. Black & white, B sci-fi trailers from the 50's. But they are a little loud, and possibly scary for young ones. Lots of aliens, monsters, giant bugs and lots and lots of screaming! Then you have the dancing popcorn and hot dogs to balance it out. You know your child.

mreinventtt
04-25-2007, 07:35 AM
:mickey: I dont know what all the fuss is about the Sci-Fi. My kids love it. And the atmosphere is great. They must be doing something right if they still have the place there all this time.
The food is alright. But people that purchase the dining plan are going to obviously pick the better restaurants where they can get there moneys worth and way better food.
You can get that food anywhere, its the atmosphere that you are paying for.
So I think it is original and I try to eat there every visit. Even only if you are getting an ice cream soda or a dessert. So I think your daughter will have a great time there.
Have a magical day!
Missy

RAIDER
04-25-2007, 07:35 AM
The food is nothing to write home about but the atmosphere is something totally unique to which you will never get anywhere else in the world .

Personally its my favourite place :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
04-25-2007, 07:50 AM
We ate there once 2 years ago. You can't beat the original feel of the place. Unique, and super cool. My kids were younger then and were totally freaked out by the movie clips they played...monsters, screaming, aliens, etc...so they didn't eat well. Also, there are 5 of us, so the seating thing was weird. We had a car, and my 2 girls were in the front seat, my DH and DS were in the middle, and I sat in the back like an orphan. It was impossible to communicate with anyone in my party! I actually liked the food., we might need to try it again, now that the kids are bigger!

GreenBeetle
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
We never miss Sci-Fi. It's one of our favorites too. The food is average - nothing exceptional - but the atmosphere can't be beat. I think your daughter will love it.

And if you are going in September during Free Dining, what have you got to lose?? :D

SBETigg
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
If you have enjoyed it there in the past, there's a good chance that you will enjoy it again. Plus, the atmosphere is really fun for kids. I would give it a shot. I'm trying it with my teens on my next trip, but instead of using dining plan credits on it, we're sharing meals and paying out of pocket.

prttynpnk
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=RAIDER;1268148]The food is nothing to write home about but the atmosphere is something totally unique to which you will never get anywhere else in the world .

QUOTE]
I think that sums it up- but I will rave about the BLT soup!

jodijo
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
We went in November and the food was not very good. However, we love the atmosphere. I would suggest going for either appetizers or maybe dessert. That way, you get to enjoy the restaurant without wasting your money on an entire meal there.

A Big Kid
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Here is a good rule of :thumbsup:

If you have trouble fitting in the astro orbiter, (and who doesnt?) then you will be uncomfortable in the "cars."

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

c&d
04-25-2007, 11:04 AM
We ate there last week and enjoyed it once again. DH had the butcher steak and I had the shrimp pasta. Both were good and the service was excellent.

sleepingbooty
04-25-2007, 01:37 PM
We went there last year, and all enjoyed it. It was at lunch time, so we all had burgers or sandwiches - and I think it was good for that type of food. How bad can you mess up a burger or chicken sandwich, really?

crazeedizneefinatic
04-25-2007, 02:12 PM
We have always enjoyed the Sci-Fi. I can honestly say we never had a bad experience there. Think of the Sci-Fi as a upscale counter service place. Lunch is burgers and sandwiches and Dinners are limited but good. We have had both lunch and dinner there and can't complain. Like other posters said you are paying for the atmosphere. I would much rather eat a burger at the Sci-Fi than the ABC Commissary (did I spell that wrong?). I guess anyone can have bad food anywhere but it seems so many people put down the Sci-Fi's food, which kinda baffles me. But oh well, if you are on the free dining plan in September you cannot miss, heck you can't miss if you pay out of pocket, but it's free, YEAH!

Granny Jill A
04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
We ate dinner there to celebrate my grandson's 5th birthday. The dinner menu had some upscale selections including, to our surprise, a wine list! Our waiter did get us the burgers we wanted, but they were one step up from McDonald's.

We went for the atmosphere, and we suggest you eat BEFORE you go, and just order dessert and drinks.

Natazu
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
We don't eat a Sci-Fi. Now, I'm not saying it's bad. It's average food and neat atmosphere. I think it's overpriced by a large margin. I'm not opposed to Sci-Fi for a snack of fries and a shake but Disney offers too many truly wonderful restaurants to spend a night having dinner at an average one.

:twocents:

gueli
04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Thank you one and all ! :mickey:
I think we will try for lunch, as some have said- how bad can you mess up burgers & chix sandwiches ?
Yeah free dining :mickey:
again thank you all, and anyone else who wishes to comment after

Gueli
;)

Kate In Wonderland
04-25-2007, 08:28 PM
My DH and I love the Sci-Fi. They make a great oreo shake too! :thumbsup:

JPL
04-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah free dining :mickey:
again thank you all, and anyone else who wishes to comment after

Gueli
;)

If you are on the Dining Plan there are many better ways to spend your Dining Credits. The food at Sci_Fi is about the same level as a counter service restaurant definately not worth ther TS credit IMHO. I love the atmosphere but the food has alot to be desired. If you are going for lunch I would pay OOP instead of wasting the TS credit.

DisneyOtaku
04-25-2007, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=RAIDER;1268148]The food is nothing to write home about but the atmosphere is something totally unique to which you will never get anywhere else in the world .

QUOTE]
I think that sums it up- but I will rave about the BLT soup!

Their BLT soup is AMAZING. It's the only thing I'll get at the Sci-Fi.

The atmosphere is awesome, but I find the food better at the Prime Time Cafe, and that atmosphere is just as fun, IMO.

biodtl
04-26-2007, 02:34 PM
We loved it, but more for the atmosphere/theming than the food (which was just OK). Definitely worth a visit.

em-n-mia's-mommy
04-27-2007, 12:03 AM
We ate there last september and enjoyed it! The food was better than expected. The theming is great. My three year old thought the movie clips were the best thing since sliced bread. It kept them busy. I thought they had a nice childrens menu to choose from too.