PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stroller question

vamaggie
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
We are traveling with a 10 yr old and 4 yr old in Nov. Was planning on bringing umbrella stroller for 4 yr old (want to be able to stroll outside parks) but now a bit concerned that 10 yr old will poop out with all the walking. Last time we went (10 yr old was 7 at time) we had one of the buggy boards for him to ride on when he got tired. My dilemma: 1) don't want to hear cranky whiny boy all afternoon/evening 2) don't want to plan to rent WDW stroller (singel or double) that may be uncomfortable for 4 yr old just in case 10 yr old needs a break. Would you rent WDW stroller (single? or double?) or just bring umbrella for 4 yr old and tell 10 yr old to tough it out?

r4kids
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
We have a 9 year old boy and every chance he gets he pops in the stroller. This year we are only bringing a single for DD4 and DD6(when she's tired). He won't have an opportunity to sit this time. I am telling him to tough it out. We will take plenty of breaks and were not killing ourselves to get to everything. I think he'll be fine if he has to walk all day. Good luck!!!:mickey:

vamaggie
04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Aimee! I am half inclined to tell DS to tough it out but not 100% convinced it won't lead to trouble. I don't want to lug our stroller from home and then end up renting one too. May just rent one. Any other opinions?

psychotekkie
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
If you do decide he should tough it out, just make sure he has really good comfortable shoes. My daughter has great endurance but once on a rainy day, decided to wear flip flops and she got painful blisters. I was definitely glad to have a stroller that day.

Also, you can always try him out for one day without, and if it doesn't work out, then you could rent for the next day.

We have found the Disney strollers not too bad. Last year we went with our 2-year old, and the strollers in Disney Studios are fabric, so are a bit softer, while the ones at MK and Epcot are the hard plastic ones which, if planning for naps in the stroller, you may want to bring an inflatable pillow for the little one.

DisneyMom12
04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Both my son and nephew where 10 at our last visit. We rented a double, and it was worth the money, but also the time it saved when they became to tired to keep going.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Our children are 9 (will be 10 on our next trip), 7 and 3.
The boys do really great with the walking. The oldest never complains he is tired. The 7 year old gets a little cranky by the end of the trip but not unbearable. We just make sure to take lots of breaks and wear really good, comfortable sneakers. Running style work well for our family.

Epcot is always an exhausting two days, even for DH and I. We just make sure we take it easy and take a nice break for lunch.

I would tell him to tough it out. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

If it really becomes an issue, I would rent one there.

Have a great trip!!

castlegirl
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
We are in a similar situation with our DD6. On all previous trips (she was 2, 4, 5) we brought our stroller from home for her. This year we thought we would bring her toddler car seat instead for our rental car (we're visiting family in the area too). We didn't want to bring a stroller and a car seat and yet both are too expensive to rent.

We're hoping she can "tough it out" too for some of the parks. We thought we might rent one for Epcot. She can always hitch a ride on "good ole' Dad" :thumbsup:

Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.

imaprincess!
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I think a 10-year old should be able to tough it out. :funny: I'm laughing because I knew my husband when he was a little boy and when he was 10 years old, he went to Disney World and walked around Magic Kingdom with a friend until midnight! Of course, he got in big trouble! But he was 10 going on 16.

If, however, this leads to a family meltdown, you can rent one.

Catzle
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm with you I have a 8 year old and a 6 year old and one stroller. Wondering how this is going to work and if it will at all. I know last year they got very tired as much from the heat as the walking and we were glad we had two strollers.

Beast_fanatic
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Since 10 and up are considered "adults" in Disney's eyes, I think he should tough it out too.

disneynarula
04-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I also think that a ten year old is way too old for a stroller. Unless he has special needs
I would encourage him to tough it out.

If he whines just offer to take him back to the resort for a nap.

You could also start taking long walks to get him "training" for WDW.

MonoMan
04-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Will a ten year old even fit into one of the rental strollers? And would you be able to push him around?
There will be no reason to whine, he will be at WDW.:mickey:

kadesha
04-28-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd go ahead and rent the double just in case. I saw several older kids riding in the double strollers last time i was there. Plus, it'll be nice and roomy for your younger one as well.

sunlyon
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I would definitely NOT rent a stroller for the 10 year old. My DD was 11 the last time we went and I found that I really enjoyed those times when we just sat to rest our feet and watch the "world". In fact, they have so much energy at that age that I needed to sit more than she did.