PDA

View Full Version : Planning Dilemma....

illBEyouPRINCEcharming
04-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Just want to say hi to everyone! Im so happy im finally a memebr of Intercot... Anyways, i have a planning dilemma that hopefully someone can help me out with...
I want to plan an trip to Disney but i cant decide on when to go... i have two options and would really appreciate your insights...

1) Go in early to mid August (8/8-8/22)... The prices are much lower and the parks are generally less crowded. However, it is in the middle of hurricane season and i hear the heat can get be crazzy....(ive only been to disney during Feb and March) I know the rain passes quickly, but i really think a storm would put a damper on my vacation...

2) My other option is to go during the last week of december to the first week of January(12/26-1/9). As ya'll already know, its prob the most crowded time of year and it is peak season. I live in CT, and many people say its "chilly in FL in December", but i know it will be a lot warmer than where i will be.

I dont know what to do. Any advice would be so helpful because ive been thinking this over since i came back from Disney this past March... My Fellow Disney-Maniacs, what would you do if you were me? :confused:

krose78
04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I would say december because we tried in June and didn't enjoy it because it was very humid. But like you we have only really tried March and love it at that time but were not able to go at that time this year so we chose December for our vacation this year.

satchel01
04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
It's really a matter of personal preference and you'll have to decide for yourself which pros/cons matter most to you.

Personally I would choose August for the lower crowds and lower prices. Many of the attractions are indoors where you can cool off, take a misty fan and stay hydrated. I'd much rather be able to get on rides & attractions even if I'm dodging raindrops than go when it's so crowded that I can't do much anyway. I'm not a fan of huge crowds. Plus with the $$ you'll save you could maybe upgrade to a better room or hotel or just spend it on goodies :D . Or just come home with less of a dent in your bank.

Good luck! You'll have fun no matter what you choose.

Strmchsr
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

Coming from CT, the heat and humidity will certainly be WAY higher than what you're used to. That said, there's ways to beat the heat (drink lots of water, take breaks, etc) and I think that may be easier to do than deal with the crowds of late December. Yes, that is peak hurricane season, but unless it's just a monster storm (very rare) tropical systems rarely affect WDW more than 12 hours. It wouldn't make that big a damper on your vacation and the staff takes good care of you. Personally, I would go August over December-January. That said, if you're a Christmas nut, if cheaper prices don't really matter, or you just really hate the heat go with the December time and work out a plan to deal with the crowds.

vamaggie
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Even though we have never gone at either time you suggest I would have to vote for August. I would rather deal with the heat ( I can somewhat control how it affects me--rest, water, water, water, slower pace etc) than deal with huge crowds (whose behavior I cannot control!) Dec is also much more expensive. WIth the money you save going in Augustm you may be able to add on a day or two so your pace can be slower in the heat. Happy Planning and let us know what you decide!

TennesseeTink
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been during both times and would pick August over late Dec-early Jan. Yes it's hot, there's no denying it. But I'd rather be hot that have to deal with gobs of people. And I do mean gobs! Really big crowds impede a vacation much more than the heat. As for hurricanes, I read a post on Intercot once from someone who had actually been at WDW during a hurricane and they said that the resorts took great care of them; i.e. kept them informed on weather changes, fed them, entertained them. Then the next day the parks were open and you couldn't even tell there had been a hurricane. Where else on earth can that happen?:mickey:

cmurph1624
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
As a kid growing up my family took several vacations to WDW during the Christmas season. We typically went the week before Christmas. The first time we went we actually stayed a couple of days after xmas and it was so busy we never stayed over xmas again. The week between xmas and new years is so busy I would not go. I have heard that after Jan 1 the crowds really thin out though.

There was also one year we went down and the entire United States had a really bad cold snap, even northern parts of Florida got snow, that was not very much fun. Although that’s the exception not the rule and most of the times its really nice weather. About 8 years ago we went and took mainly pants and t-shirts and ended up having to buy shorts while we were there before xmas.

What it comes down to if you don’t mind insane amounts of people go during the week between Xmas and New Years. If you don’t like that, which I wouldn’t, go after new years or in August.

IloveMM
04-25-2007, 01:24 AM
OK, I'm going to be flat out honest with you as I've been both times that you're mentioning... I'd not do either one.

Surely there's a way you can change your schedules? You're setting yourself up for one of those situations of "Jump out of the frying pan and into the fryer." Neither choice is really workable as you're choosing heat or crowds and BOTH/EITHER will completely ruin a trip.

The heat at Disney isn't "just hot." It's really unbearable. Especially with kids, as children do get dehydrated quicker than adults, generally drink less than adults and can get overheated more. My husband is a physician and he helped a family while we visited late one August who had a family member pass out from the heat. Cast members were very prompt, but it was a mental lesson we've not forgotten. Our kids were miserable on that trip and we won't return (EVER) in summer months. :-o

The December time frame - OMG. You think summer crowds are bad? Spring Break crowds? They're like comparing a basket of corn to a basket of peas - how many can you squish in before the basket explodes. Seriously, this is the time frame when the gates are closed, no more entry, even if you do hold the magic ticket. It would bum you out to get up to go to MK only to get there and realize they've closed the gates to crowding, only to flood to the other parks (with everyone else) and stand in line for 90 minutes for a 3.5 minute ride. :sick:

You'll be spending a lot of money... and time... and energy. Shake that tree and see if another date pops out or do what you can to convince the "powers that be" that you're not doing it those times of the year!
:mickey: :thumbsup:
Oh - and our favorite time is the second week in December... go every year then....

faline
04-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

I'd pick the August time frame. Yes, it will be hot but if prepare properly,it's doable. Make sure you take mid-day breaks back at your resort and spend some time in the pool.

As noted Christmas week is extremely crowded. I've only been at this time of year once and, that time, we left a coupld of days after Christmas so weren't there for the whole of the most crowded week.

BashfulMom
04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
My intership at WDW was from August through January and I was absolutely amazed at the number of people at the parks in December. I would definately pick August over December.

caryrae
04-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I have been in Sept many times and have been lucky with no hurricanes also lucky with not many rainy days. When it did rain it didn't last long. The prices are good and it's so nice to have alot of lines for rides 30 min or less. I am from Minnesota and really don't mind the heat that much, like others say most rides are in a cool place.

So I would pick August too.

MOJoe
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I've been both times as well.
As to the week after Christmas, i found MK to be insanely crowded. I did not arrive at park opening, so any touring plan was worthless. I was able to cover very little of the park. In fact, with the one exception of the Haunted Mansion, i never made it out of Fantasyland. On the other hand, being at MK with your children, during Christmas is fun and exciting - you just can't expect to cover all the attractions you would like.
As to August, well yes, HOT does not begin to describe the Florida weather. Even early in the morning, the humidity makes being outside just plain uncomfortable. The heat becomes opressive by mid-afternoon and you may find that just standing in line is exhausting and nearly unbearable. Your best bet is to beat the heat by arriving early and going back to your hotel for a mid-afternoon pool/nap break.

That said, the time you choose depends on the type of WDW experience you want.
If your family is a WDW veteran, Christmas is an exciting and beautiful time.
If your family likes to "do it all" then Summer is best.