PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating 5 year olds birthday!

Melis
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
We are leaving for our WDW trip in 12 days! We will arrive on a Sunday. My son will be turning 5 on Monday while at Disney. What are some things we can do to celebrate? How would you spend the day? My husband and I have only been there once before (7 years ago) and this will be our son's first big vacation (plane ride and all!). We are thinking a character meal at some point in the day, but really aren't sure where or at what time and what else to doto make his day special. If it were your child, how would you spend the day?
Melissa

Strmchsr
04-24-2007, 01:35 PM
First of all, get a birthday pin at town hall or guest relations, depending upon which park you're in. Second, click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/birthday.asp) to go to the Info Central "celebrating birthdays" section which has lots of great tips for how to celebrate in the parks. Also, be sure you've made mention of his birthday on your ADR for that day.

As for the plane ride, if your son is curious about the airplane, tell the flight attendance that it is his first ever flight and could he see the cockpit/meet the captain. Usually they'll do that once the plane lands (FAA no longer allows it during flights). It can make it really special to have his picture made with the pilots and to see the cockpit.

Beast_fanatic
04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I would suggest that you call and try to make an Advanced Dining Reservation (ADR) for a character meal now, otherwise you might find that there aren't any available.

Melis
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Rhonda - will it really be that hard to get reservations?? I am so not a planner, that is why I was trying to get as many ideas as possible to "celebrate". When my husband and I went during the month of July, we totally played it by ear. When we decided we were hungry and wanted to eat, we would call right from the park we were in and tell them the restaurant we wanted and would get right in to the restaurant. I thought going in May it would be totally easy!!! Alright. Well, I didn't get as many responses on here as I had hoped so I guess I will need to just choose something. Rhonda, is there a character meal that you would suggest? Any that would recognize him celebrating a birthday? Also, which meal would you do? THank you SO much!
melissa

Strmchsr
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
The popularity of the dining plan really has made it constantly necessary to have ADRs to avoid disappointment. Also, the link I gave above has a way to have your son recognized with a cake or something similar at your meal. As for which character meal, it all depends upon which characters your son likes best. If he's all about Pooh and Tigger, go to Crystal Palace. If he likes Little Einsteins, go to Hollywood & Vine, etc. The food is all pretty similar, so going with what characters he likes best is the best way to about it.

Melis
04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Chris- thanks for that tip! I didn't think about the fact that the dining plan was probably nonexistent back on our last trip in July 2000. My thoughts this time were if we could do it so easily in July that we'd have no problems in May. Thank you very much.... i need to get on this planning thing I guess. I just hate feeling like I'm tied to being at a certain place at a certain time you know? I know some people need to be like that in order to get things done whereas we prefer just doing as we please. We will definately though make the plans for the character thing.... now just need to decide which one!
Thanks! and keep the tips coming... still no one has said EXACTLY how they would spend the day.
Melissa

Beast_fanatic
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
For a five year old, I'd spend the day at the Magic Kingdom. I'd probably try to get an ADR for either Crystal Palace (if he likes Pooh, Tigger and his friends) or Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary if he likes Mickey, Goofy and others. For Chef Mickey's, you'd have to do either breakfast or dinner and you might have a hard time getting a ressie there, but for Crystal Palace, you also have the option of lunch.

If you think he can make it late enough, I'd probably take a break during the middle of the day to go to the pool for awhile (and/or take a nap) and then go back to the Magic Kingdom to see Wishes as the end of his magical day.

You might find some unique ideas here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/hiddentreasures.asp).

Melis
04-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Rhonda- Thanks for that awesome link....!!!!
I was thinking MK also for his bday since that will be the park that I am pretty sure he is going to enjoy most! I am going to check into the 2 places you suggested for character dining and see what is available. Thank you!
Melissa

illini
04-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Melissa,
We spend our kids' 5th bdays at Disney. :mickey: The actual day is always spent at MK. We always do two TS meals on the bday so they get more fussed over.

For my son's bday, we did 'Ohana for breakfast (with Mickey & friends) and Crystal Palace for dinner. I'd probably pick Chef Mickey's over 'Ohana, though, because the atmosphere is more festive (my son picked, not me). CM's is ~crazy~ but loads of fun.

I'd make at least one ADR, and hit the Magic Kingdom. Ride what he wants to ride, do what he wants to do. Oh, and if you're staying on property, make sure they know it's his bday at the hotel. They've asked us who the bday kid's favorite character is and put balloons and an autographed photo in the room while we were out.

Melis
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Julie- thanks so much! I was thinking of doing one character meal and then one table service meal. Is there a table service that your 5 year old enjoys? I've never gone w/kids so really don't know which would be a good choice.
MElissa

illini
04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
We've largely avoided true table service meals in the past, because with 3 kids-- including one as a toddler-- they were too time consuming and also limiting in the food available (too many chicken strips & fries!). Unless you're wanting to park hop, there's not many choices at the MK for TS, except buffets and family style. Tony's is there, but reviews aren't overly positive. CRT for dinner isn't all princess, but it's more girly and it's $$$. Reviews of the dinner food aren't very positive.
My kid's LOVE 'Ohana at the Poly for dinner (it's only a character meal at breakfast). There's a set menu, and it's served family style, but it might be a good option. It's loads of fun, with coconut races and hula hoop contests. The food is good, too. That might be a good option for you, and it's only a short monorail ride away from the MK.
My vote is for Chef Mickey's for breakfast, and dinner at 'Ohana. And actually, if I had a DS instead of a DD turning five this next trip, that's probably what I'd do (I get to have breakfast at CRT instead!).