PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to get into a resort that is not your home resort

Speedy1998
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
We are seriously considering buying into DVC, but I was wondering how difficult it is to get reservations for a resort that is not your home resort. I was thinking that SSR would probably be the smartest option to buy (I am looking at resale, and buying through Disney) but I am not crazy about Downtown Disney, I would much rather stay at WLV or the DVC resorts in the EPCOT area.

CarolMN
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
We are seriously considering buying into DVC, but I was wondering how difficult it is to get reservations for a resort that is not your home resort. I was thinking that SSR would probably be the smartest option to buy (I am looking at resale, and buying through Disney) but I am not crazy about Downtown Disney, I would much rather stay at WLV or the DVC resorts in the EPCOT area.There is a lot of competition to get into the smaller DVC resorts (VWL, BCV & BWV) at the 7 month mark. As DVC membership increases, so does the competition.

Depending on when you want to stay and what type of unit you require, your chances of getting something at one of the smaller resorts can range from "virtually none" to "shouldn't be too tough".

For example, your chances of getting either a standard view or a guaranteed Boardwalk view unit during the first two weeks of December are close to zero. But your chances of getting something at the VWL in September are quite good.

In the majority of the cases, to be sure of getting something at one of the smaller resorts at the 7 month mark, you will have to call day by day for the reservation. There's also a possibility that you will have to waitlist for some or all of the days.

If you know when you would visit and the unit size, I could be more specific about your chances. Of course, the "chances" are just my opinion. It's never impossible, but availability at the smaller DVC resorts is often limited and there is no guarantee you will be able to get in when you want to stay.

Only you can decide if staying at a particular resort is important enough to overcome the longer contracts at SSR & AKV. If you won't be happy staying at your home resort most of the time, then you need to seriously consider buying where you would be happy. For me, (who wants to mostly stay at the BWV in either a standard view or Boardwalk view room), the shorter contract is way less important than knowing I can get what I want every time.

All that said, if you can't see yourself booking 8-11 months prior to arrival, then it doesn't matter where you own - at 7 months, a point is a point is a point!

Good luck with your decision!

DVC2004
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
We have not had problems but there may be some flexibilty required. First off, studios book up because they use the least points.Are you willing to use more to stay in a larger place?
Secondly, certain times of year will justbe tougher then others- late Nov- New Years and now October are popular tims for members. However, I was able to get in at SSR last December on 2 weeks notice.

Usually we are not dead set on a specific place. We are open to taking what's available if our preference is booked. Also keep in mind there is a chance with watilist. So far we only have been waitlisted once but it worked out well.

Maleficent's Dad
04-24-2007, 09:08 PM
You'll hear of different experiences from different people on these boards with regards to the waitlist.

But the first poster is correct, and I have seen the changes occur first hand.

With more and more DVC people joining, the competition for more desireable accomodations is becoming intense at times! The waitlist used to be a pretty sure thing. Most of the times, you'd get what you wanted.

Nowadays, depending on when you travel, the waitlist can be a 50/50 proposition. The BC is the most popular resort and it sells out quickly. In fact, the waitlist for August (booking at the 7 month window) is no sure thing. Forget about the Fall (Food & Wine) or December. VWL have also gotten much tougher to secure.

OKW used to be a good stand-by. And you can usually get rooms here because they are numerous, but it's no sure bet.

Best advice is to buy where you want to stay.

Speedy1998
04-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Best advice is to buy where you want to stay.

After seeing what Disney's currently selling for, and what I would have to pay buying from the timeshare store, I think this is the way we will probably go. Thanks everyone.

I now have another question though, how are the DVC crowds in early June. DW is a teacher, so it limits when we can go, and I have been going to Disney way too long to want to go in the middle of the summer (I remeber how packed the parks were on July 4th week 20 years ago, I can only imagine what they are like now).

lockedoutlogic
04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
After seeing what Disney's currently selling for, and what I would have to pay buying from the timeshare store, I think this is the way we will probably go. Thanks everyone.

I now have another question though, how are the DVC crowds in early June. DW is a teacher, so it limits when we can go, and I have been going to Disney way too long to want to go in the middle of the summer (I remeber how packed the parks were on July 4th week 20 years ago, I can only imagine what they are like now).

Just remember you are sacrificing 12 years as it currently stands...or 25% of the usage of the ownership to purchase an older property......

The second thing I would like to point out is that the summer crowds, while heavy....don't seem to be nearly as bad as they were reported in the 70's and 80's....There are ways to have a good time and navigate WDW in the summer months....we went last July and had a great time.

My suggestion is to buy new at AKL....when completed, It is going to be the nicest location by far....with maybe only the Beach club complex rivaling it.

just my pennies on the subject

Tinkermom
04-25-2007, 07:00 PM
June is crowded but not unbearably so. It is definately manageable. It can get pretty warm but we just try to take it a bit slower when we go in June. Sometimes we add a pool break in the afternoon.

I always find it curious how people can say how difficult it is to get into DVC at your non home resort. Is this personal experience? I do not believe that Disney will build and sell so many DVC memberships that people are no longer able to get into any resort except your home resort. That takes away the wonderful ability to choose where you want to stay on each vacation which is a huge selling point for DVC.

I guess my take is completely based on personal experience. We have not had a problem getting in where we want. Now, as DVC2004 stated above, we are also flexible. I always call with my #1, #2, and #3 choices. We love all of the resorts. We always have gotten our #1 or #2 choice. We own at Vero and SSR but usually stay at VWL or BCV. We have stayed at every DVC resort except Hilton Head. We always travel in either March (spring break) or June. I have gotten a ressie in March just 6 weeks out.

There are also ways to ensure you have a place to stay by booking at your home resort 11 months out and then calling at 7 months out to change to the resort that you really want. I guess for now I still do not buy into the "buy where you want to stay" philosophy. Maybe I will when I actually start have a problem getting into anywhere except my home resort.;)