PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having hard time getting ressies?

goingbacktodisney
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
We have been booked for SSR for the week of Thanksgiving for a few months. Today was the 7 month mark. Called to switch to VWL or BWV for a studio or 1 bed, and could not get a thing! Also, have been on waitlist for HH for several blocks of dates from start of Jun to end of July, and can't even get 2 nights in a row avail!! I am so frustrated!! Anyone else experiencing these kind of issues? We bought last year and had no problem booking trips to VWL in July and HH in July last year. Did I just get lucky last year to get what I wanted 5-6 months out?

lockedoutlogic
04-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Two problems:

1. holiday weeks are always packed....including thanksgiving. So that is one of the reasons why it is unlikely you will be able to switch. You're probably thinking "wow....the kids won't have to miss any...or as much...school"....
...So is everyone else.

2. Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club are the smallest DVC sites as far as units...so there is literally the least to go around there.....WL would be a longshot around the holidays.

That being said...I would try the waitlist...you can call DVC and request to be on it. It has a fairly good success rate.....
...but plan on Saratoga...:thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
04-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Anyone else experiencing these kind of issues?
Not quite to the extreme that you're experiencing, but I've got to say that the larger DVC grows, the less reliable the waitlist has been... :(

Fortgoofy97
04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
It will be tough to get filled for holiday weeks off the wait list. We were wait listed for BCV for one day - they just called end of last week to fill that slot. We still are wait listed for the last 2 days of our trip hopefully they get filled. This is for our trip in OCT right after the Columbus holiday. Took about 1 month for the one day to fill. Like previous post said with BCV and VWL, they are the smallest DVC resorts and unless you own there - the best thing to do is book right at 7 month window and go waitlist:thumbsup:

MickeyMousse
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, I have had such problems getting in and have tried many different months and resorts.:bang: ...and have had no luck in getting anything where we can stay in one resort for the full length of stay....it was 3 days here, then move to another resort for the rest of the vacation. We've "been there-done that" and won't do it again. I just broke it to DH that we're looking at going next year-at least I will have all those points to use!:dance:

lockedoutlogic
04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh, I have had such problems getting in and have tried many different months and resorts.:bang: ...and have had no luck in getting anything where we can stay in one resort for the full length of stay....it was 3 days here, then move to another resort for the rest of the vacation. We've "been there-done that" and won't do it again. I just broke it to DH that we're looking at going next year-at least I will have all those points to use!:dance:

Two questions:

How long is the stay you're lookling for?

What time of year are you going?

goingbacktodisney
04-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Nov 18-Nov 23 (Sun - Thurs), however, Thurs is Thanksgiving day.

HockeyKat
04-29-2007, 01:18 AM
We just bought DVC and so far have had no troubles. Booked a 1bed at VWL for 3 nights in May with 6 weeks notice. Booked a 1bed at BCV and a 2bed at BWV w/ 5 months notice, one for 4 nights and the other for 6.

Neither are high season. Booking Christmas, T-giving, Easter, are all likely to need the 11 month window.

Just my experience.

ldn324
04-30-2007, 06:47 AM
We are currently having difficulty booking our November 26 through December 2 trip.

We called first thing in the morning of the 11 month window for our home resort (BWV) and there was no availability. We are currently in the 7 month window and have to call each day to book since it's not yet 7 months from the departure date. We've already been told that we most likely will not be able to book anything for the entire trip.

We're already on the wait list at BWV and really wanted to wait list a booking for the duration of the entire trip somewhere else, but according to what others have posted at another post I currently have, this won't be possible because we only have points for this year. Can't borrow because we have been borrowing for a couple of years now and are ahead of ourselves.

We've had difficulty in the past, but not to this degree. I really thought since this was after Thanksgiving and before Xmas that we would not have had a problem with our home resort. Now there's a chance we might not even get more than 3 or 4 nights using our DVC points and even those might not be at the same resort. :bang: I'm beginning to think we were lucky for a few years too - now, not so much!

CarolMN
04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
.....We called first thing in the morning of the 11 month window for our home resort (BWV) and there was no availability....(snip)...I'm having trouble believing this - BWV never fills up that fast.

You must have been calling for either a standard view or a guaranteed Boardwalk view. Those two categories (which each make up slightly less than 20% of the total BWV units available) do fill up quickly. Most call day by day as soon as MS opens to be sure of getting into those views.

However, there should have been availability for Preferred View - Pool/Garden. There weren't other reports of problems getting that week at the BWV until just recently.

Sorry you are having trouble finding accomodations - hope your waitlist comes through very soon..

ldn324
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
However, there should have been availability for Preferred View - Pool/Garden. There weren't other reports of problems getting that week at the BWV until just recently.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough points for a preferred view for our length of stay or we would have chosen that if it was available.

If we had known there would be nothing available at the 11 month mark, we would have called day by day starting before the 11 months. At least we will know for next year I guess.

Fingers crossed that something comes through :mickey:

Sunshine1010
05-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Oh my goodness....I am scared to death now.

I am planning on going Dec. 4 - Dec. 14. May 4th is when I have been told to 'start calling day-by-day'.....and I plan on doing that (since SSR is my home resort and my only other option is to call at the 7mo. mark if I want somewhere else).

But hearing all these stories has gotten me worried.

1. What if they don't have it - do I ask to get put on the waiting list and cancel my existing SSR ressie for the day?....or keep it also...just in case.
2. Should I even bother with this since people don't seem to be getting what they want.
3. One of the reasons why I joined DVC was to experience other resorts....it sounds as if that isn't a 'perk' hardly.....

CarolMN
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh my goodness....I am scared to death now.

I am planning on going Dec. 4 - Dec. 14. May 4th is when I have been told to 'start calling day-by-day'.....and I plan on doing that (since SSR is my home resort and my only other option is to call at the 7mo. mark if I want somewhere else). The day to begin calling is 7 months prior to the check out date. So if you are checking in on December 4, you would call on May 5 - because the check out date for your first night would be 12/5. Remember that MS is open on Saturdays now, so your first call will be this Saturday.

But hearing all these stories has gotten me worried.
1. What if they don't have it - do I ask to get put on the waiting list and cancel my existing SSR ressie for the day?....or keep it also...just in case.If you have enough points to keep the SSR reservation while you try to get in somewhere else, keep it! That way, using the waitlist won't be so stressful - if you don't get all of your days, you can always stay at your home resort. If you don't have enough points, then you have to decide if you are willing to take the chance of having to move back and forth.

2. Should I even bother with this since people don't seem to be getting what they want.Well, that's up to you. For sure you won't get anything else if you don't try. Be prepared to waitlist and also to be on hold - there will be many members trying to change their reservations to VWL, BCV & BWV at the 7 month mark.

3. One of the reasons why I joined DVC was to experience other resorts....it sounds as if that isn't a 'perk' hardly..... Unfortunately, the first week of December is extremely popular with DVC members. Many members have bought add on contracts for the smaller resorts to be able to book at 11 months for those resorts and they are using it. I know there are already wait lists at the 3 smaller DVC resorts for at least some of the days between 12/4 & 12/14.

My advice is to save yourself the aggravation and try one of the other resorts on another trip. Other times of the year are much easier to book at 7 months than December.

That said, it doesn't hurt to try - it's up to you!

Priority Four
05-03-2007, 12:37 PM
We have never had a problem getting a resservtion in the 11 mo window. The only time we have had trouble at all was trying to go during spring break and calling only three weeks in advance.

MickeyMousse
05-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Two questions:

How long is the stay you're lookling for?

What time of year are you going?

We wanted to stay 10 days. For that time, I could get in, but had to break up my stay between 2 resorts. :shake:

October and November. The Food Festival seems to have taken alot in ressies.

With all the points that I am saving, looks like we'll be heading back in 6/08 for 2 weeks!:minnie:

mdamico
07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Has any one had troule booking trips to one of the other "550" resorts disney offers around the world? We just signed up and went directly to book in Key West or Aruba with no luck, only option was a wait list that could become available as little as 8 days ahead of time. As a teacher I have limited vacation times and don't see how this DVC will be accessable. I feel like I'll be loosing my points every year unless I choose to stay at Disney. I like Disney and all, but not EVERY year!
Please share experiences with wait lists at other resorts. Thanks!

disneycouple2004
07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I took a long shot and requested a one bedroom at SSR for Dec 20-26..using DVC member website...the reply was:( there are NO
rooms available at ANY.. DCV resort for dates requested..) I expected that response since its almost August now..So what the heck..i call MS..gave all my info..and the dates and all...and poof...within 15 min i have exactly what i wanted...:confused:.....How did that happen ??...oh well guess someone cancelled or switched just about the same time i called..:confused:
Who knows..but it gets better...i called to see if by chance we could get any dinner ressies..yea right...i doubt it...SURPRISE AGAIN...got every one we wanted...:thumbsup:

guess its :thumbsup:timing or dumb luck..sorry your having so much trouble ..hang in there and call back often...:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I took a long shot and requested a one bedroom at SSR for Dec 20-26..using DVC member website...the reply was:( there are NO
rooms available at ANY.. DCV resort for dates requested..) I expected that response since its almost August now..So what the heck..i call MS..gave all my info..and the dates and all...and poof...within 15 min i have exactly what i wanted...:confused:.....How did that happen ??...oh well guess someone cancelled or switched just about the same time i called..:confused:
Who knows..but it gets better...i called to see if by chance we could get any dinner ressies..yea right...i doubt it...SURPRISE AGAIN...got every one we wanted...:thumbsup:

guess its :thumbsup:timing or dumb luck..sorry your having so much trouble ..hang in there and call back often...:mickey:

you'll get saratoga on a waitlist or a cancellation.....

what you won't get is beach club, boardwalk, wilderness lodge, and soon contemporary.....

you will most likely not get old key west or animal kingdom as it currently stands either.....

you may have a shot at animal kingdom once the new facility opens....

doodleboy
07-30-2008, 08:32 AM
I tried to book any DVC for a week in the last couple of weeks in Oct or early Nov and got nothing. I know that 4 months is short notice, but I thought with kids in school I would not have an issue. I am guessing F&W Festival is having a big impact on DVC. Although all of the Epcot resorts had avalability. I am saving the points and staying at POFQ, while hoping for decent AP rate.

OhToodles!
07-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Just a quick observation/question: I've seen throughout this thread about people calling every day - is that to get a reservation at home or try to see if another resort is open? I thought you could just call 11 months in advance of your check-in day now and get 7 nights worth of your stay in one call - if staying for more then you'd have to call 11 months in advacen of the next 7 days.

Also, I made a reservation for next June staying at AKV Concierge, but am thinking about trying for BCV. Any thoughts? i.e. Don't give up Concierege or I probably won't get BCV?

Cinderelley
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Has any one had troule booking trips to one of the other "550" resorts disney offers around the world? We just signed up and went directly to book in Key West or Aruba with no luck, only option was a wait list that could become available as little as 8 days ahead of time. As a teacher I have limited vacation times and don't see how this DVC will be accessable. I feel like I'll be loosing my points every year unless I choose to stay at Disney. I like Disney and all, but not EVERY year!

You could always try trading through another company. I think Disney goes through Interval International.

diz_girl
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
We are currently having difficulty booking our November 26 through December 2 trip...I really thought since this was after Thanksgiving and before Xmas that we would not have had a problem with our home resort.

Thanksgiving this year is November 27 - that's your problem. Everyone else will be there the entire Thanksgiving week and probably booked from Nov 22-29. So that's most likely why nothing was available when you called at the 11-month mark. Everyone else booked the entire week a couple of days before you. The Thanksgiving crowd probably won't ease up until Sunday, so are you able to change your vacation to start on November 30? Good luck.

aurorafan
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Are you talking about the Interval International options? If so from what I've heard your best bet is to start the search at least a year ahead of time, and to be prepared to be flexible. Some resorts are extremely difficult to get into due to trading issues (it's very hard if not impossible to trade into Harborside Atlantis and St. James for instance). My husband and I are thinking of using points to trade for his 40th birthday (he wants to go diving in the Caymans or Belize), so we'll be starting the search no later than Jan. 2009--his 40th is May 2010 so that gives us a little more than a year, and a little wiggle room in case nothing comes through and we need to make a cash ressie after all.

Unfortunately they make it sound as if it's easier to trade out than it really is. I've read several instances of people not being able to get what they want, but I've also seen several where they did get what they wanted and had a great time :). I think if you go in with realistic expectations and are flexible you'll have more luck :).

Cinderelley
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Are you talking about the Interval International options? If so from what I've heard your best bet is to start the search at least a year ahead of time, and to be prepared to be flexible. I think if you go in with realistic expectations and are flexible you'll have more luck :).

Starting early is a good idea, but you really need to check the II website on a regular basis to see if what you want is listed. When we first started, I assumed that when an opening occurred, it automatically went to whomever was the first on the waiting list. Unfortunately, that's not how it works for whatever reason.

We all know there's a waiting list for WDW, but when I was on the website about 1 am yesterday, there were at least 3 rooms listed for each of the following - OKW, Beach Club, SSR & VWL.

It doesn't seem fair for II to do it that way, but you can use it to your advantage.

Sharon1026
08-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I called today for a ressie for April 4-11 2009. This is the week before easter (easter is on the 12th). I didn't think I'd be able to get a 1bdr during a prime week, but we didn't have a problem at all. We are SSR.

I don't know of easter weekend and the week after is busier than the week before easter, but that's just how our break worked out this year.

pixie1958
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM

Trading through the Worldpassport Collection is not like a reservation system where units are sitting like empty hotel rooms and you just call up and book one. Other owners at different vacation clubs have to deposit their week into an exchange company (Interval International) and DVC trades for their deposited resort week.

If you are wanting to trade most years and need school vacation time, I think you need to be extremely flexible and willing to wait for other owners to deposit those weeks or rethink buying DVC. Most owners of other resort vacation clubs won't deposit their week until 12 months out or less. Some won't deposit until the first of the year when the maintenance fees are due. You can kind of think of it the way DVC reservations are made - we can't reserve until 11 months at our home resort or 7 months at nonhome resorts.

Marriott Vacation Club owners can deposit with Interval International anywhere from 13 months (multi week owners) to 12 months (single week owners) out. We own with Marriott, too, and we don't usually deposit our week for trade until about 11 or 9 months out - it takes me that long to figure out where I want to go!