PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian vs. Poly??

bellerose
04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I am trying to decide between the GF and the Poly for my 30th birthday trip. The last time I stayed at the Poly was when I was about 8 years old, but I have never stayed at the GF before. So, I need some advice...can I have pros and cons and what you liked and disliked about these resorts?? Thanks!!!

cinderellagrl
04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
ahh tough question. I always thought that I was a Poly lover until...boom... the Grand Floridian hit me!! I love love love the grounds. They just make you feel like a million bucks! I love the pool... I find it better than the volcano pool, and the beach is wonderful! I feel that the GF is much more sophisticated, but still very relaxed and fun. The lobby is gorgeous! We even found a beautifull balcony on the second floor that overlooked the beach... perfect for late nights! Every view at the Grand is just that Grand! I also love the fact that there are many good restaurants... Narcooses, Citricos, 1900 Park Fare, Victoria and Alberts, and GF Cafe! I love them all!

Go with the GF, and try the spa for a birthday present!

SBETigg
04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
My two favorite resorts. Both have a lot of pros and very few cons. The thing to consider is what kind of feel you prefer. GF is relaxed elegance. Poly is lush away-from-it-all comfort. The pros of both: Larger rooms, lovely surroundings, great restaurants, fantastic pools and theming, excellent transportation.

The Poly wins out on the transportation issue by a nudge, plus the MK views are straight on, and the theming is slightly more complete. But the GF is the flagship and if you're looking for a more upscale experience and want to treat yourself, the GF can't be beat as far as that luxury feel. Plus, the GF has hot tubs. The Poly? No, just hot water jets at one end of the pool which really can't compare (but you can use the hot tub at the GF spa). So it comes down to what you really want out of your vacation. To me, you can't go wrong with either choice.

Spaceship Tigger
04-24-2007, 08:30 AM
We haven't stayed at either yet, but we've visited both and are staying at the Poly this year. For us, we're just not big on the 'elegance' theme of the GF. We much prefer the tropical/wilderness environments of the WL, AKL, and Poly to places such as the GF or Boardwalk. Other than the theme, we really only had a problem with one thing at the GF - we always drive, and the self-parking there is very far away and very inconvenient.

Vanlandingham
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Real tough choice here. Its a decision between elegance and tropical lushness. I really enjoy the setting and layout of the Poly, but I think that the food is a bit better at the GF. But on the flip side you also get the straight view from the Poly, making it a great place to watch the MK fireworks. But as SBETigg said, you can't beat the GF in terms of that luxary feel.

In short both are excellent, high quality resorts of similar caliber and close proximity and you can't really go wrong with either. Pick from the heart I guess is my best advice.

BigRedDad
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I've been to both, but have not stayed at either. To me, the GF is too posh and "snobby" feeling. It is very nice, don't get me wrong. The elegance kind of makes you feel whether you belong in a place like that or not.

I prefer the laid back, tropical feel of the Poly. It invites you to wear shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and not feel out of place.

Bruegge
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Just a couple of points... I'm not gonna pick one over the other LOL..

Poly just recently got it's 4 star rating back.. I've not been there since the refurb but am curious to see how it looks now.

Previous posts mention that Poly still doesn't have a hot tub at any of the pools... Not important to me but it might be to some.

Grand Floridian has a wonderful Spa onsite. DW and has gotten a massage or some type of spa treatment... She mentioned (we were at the poly at the time) that she would have liked to stay there and just go back to her room rather than leave and to back to her hotel after the treatment ??? Girl thing I guess???

Just a couple of points. FYI you'll have a ball either place

Scott

hunnyluvsthemouse
04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
My preference would be the Poly. But, I love the tropical feel, the smell as you walk into the lobby (not quite sure what it is, just lobby smell). The new refurbished rooms are wonderful. I beleive we stayed in Fiji last time with a view of the lagoon, and we could see the castle and fireworks from our balcony. They have a great store to shop in.

When we stayed at the GF, we paid for Lagoon View, but our view was obstructed by trees, so we couldn't really see anything unless you stood on your tiptoes and hung over the balcony, you could catch a glimpse.

My choice would be the Poly, and maybe spend some time at the Spa at the GF. But, that's just my opinion.

Polynesian Dweller
04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
In some ways they are one hotel. There is a walkway between the two that not many know about but takes about 6 minutes to walk one way. So we walk to the GF for suppers at Narcoosees etc. and stay at the Poly. You can walk to the Spa, which is shared, or even the pools.

We stay at the Poly for the more expansive lagoon view (including fireworks), themeing, and I'd say that the Poly is much better for transportation. The TTC is just at the end of the property so you can walk easily there rather than take a monorail with two stops to get all the transport.

Finally, the upgrade has been terrific. The rooms are completely upgraded and don't look at all like the old ones. We really enjoy it.:number1:

pox24
04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Don't think twice.... The Grand Floridian... the name is enough, and then some.:thumbsup:

bellerose
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Arg!!! Decisions, decisions....I think we may go with the GF because we have never stayed there before.

There are hot tubs by the pool?? I did not know that. I am planning on taking advantage of the spa while I am there. I just don't think I'll have the oppurtunity (or the money) to stay there again. Since we are only going to be there three days, I heard that it was a nice relaxing hotel (because that is what I want...relaxation) and there weren't as many children running around as there are at the moderate and value. We always stay at the Pop Century so this will be a definate change of pace for us.

But then there is the Poly...:lei: :tikki:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
We stayed at the GF because of all the character meals on location. Also, my DD liked the light and airy feel of the GF better than the Poly. For our next trip, we're debating the same question. The Poly does have a real "away from it all" feel, the only coffee bar around and is definetly more beachy and hedonistic.
This debate seems to pop up a lot - you might try looking at some of the old threads. Also, some people (myself included) have reviews of the hotels in the trip reports section (mine was from 1/07).