PDA

View Full Version : Booking AP Discount...need clarification please!

BrerGnat
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Ok, we want to go to WDW "sometime' in 2008. Problem is, we don't know when we can go at this point. BUT, want to tentatively book for first week of February (value season).

What I want to do is book a room only at this point, since the cancellation policy is lax enough if we have to make a change or cancel for the dates I choose.

I want to take advantage of a possible AP discount, but I know those aren't announced very far in advance.

My question is, do you need to have an AP certificate IN HAND to book a room with the AP discount (through Magical Journeys). Like, can I tell my MJ agent "if an AP rate comes up for my dates/resort, apply it", even if I don't have an AP exchange certificate at that time? I will purchase the AP in time for the trip, obviously, since I know you have to show it when you check in. However, if no AP discount comes out, I would probably not get an AP. I would only "invest" in the AP if there will be a significant return on a room discount. Does that make sense? We are looking to book for 8-10 nights, so I know my BEST chance for a significant discount is to hope for an AP discount. On the other hand, I want to BUY the AP as close as possible to the actual trip, so we can potentially get in another trip within the year.

If this can't be done, I'd most likely join AAA to at least get THAT discount. Every little bit helps, and we really want to stay at the Polynesian, and we could stay longer if we can get a significant discount.

Tink1
04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
This can all be done.

You can tell your agent you are willing to get an AP if the discounts justify. If a special is also released she will compare the 2 and tell what she thinks your best option is.

We do it all the time.

Nanc

faline
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
As Nanci noted, no problem! I've booked annual pass discount room rates before I've purchased the annual pass!

Dracula766
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Also, the time on your annual pass doesn't start until the first day you actually use it.

so if you were to purchase your AP now and not actually use it until February then your pass will be good til Feb. 2009

Beckybalz
04-24-2007, 07:45 AM
The last two times I stayed at Disney Resorts (Pop Century and Animal Kingdom Lodge) with my AP discount they didn't even ask to see my annual pass when I checked in. In fact, no mention was made of it at all. I found it sort of strange.

January-2007
04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The last two times I stayed at Disney Resorts (Pop Century and Animal Kingdom Lodge) with my AP discount they didn't even ask to see my annual pass when I checked in. In fact, no mention was made of it at all. I found it sort of strange.

Yeah, we used an AP discount at Pop Century in January and they didn't even mention us needing to show them our APs or anything.

You shouldn't have any problem at all reserving the room, then getting the AP. Have fun planning your trip! :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Thank you so much for your answers!

I was trying to come up with a very rough budget and figured that getting an AP so that I could take advantage of a potential AP discount as well as being eligible for the DDE card would be a better savings for my family than getting a package deal with dining.

So, if I purchased my AP at TODAY's price, but didn't activate it until sometime NEXT year, that is okay? There is no limit on how long it can be between purchasing and activating an AP? If that's the case, I'll go ahead and buy my AP now, because that way I'll have the expense out of the way and be able to take advantage of the current pricing.

KylesMom
04-24-2007, 02:20 PM
So, if I purchased my AP at TODAY's price, but didn't activate it until sometime NEXT year, that is okay? There is no limit on how long it can be between purchasing and activating an AP? If that's the case, I'll go ahead and buy my AP now, because that way I'll have the expense out of the way and be able to take advantage of the current pricing.

Yes, we do this each time our A/P expires. We purchase them as Christmas presents - typically before the annual rate increase takes place in January - but do not activate them until June or July. It's saved us alot of $$$ over the years working it this way! :mickey: