PDA

View Full Version : What extinct attraction/feature do you miss?

Aurora
04-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm sure we've done this before, but...

Just wondering what everyone misses that's no longer there at WDW. Not only what you miss the most, but also all the other little things.

Here's a quick short list from me:

-- The Skyride in the MK (can't even remember if that's what it was called).
-- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (MK)
-- World of Motion (Epcot)
-- The hand-cranked penny arcade "videos" on Main Street.
-- The old waterfalls at the entrance to Tomorrowland.
-- If You Had Wings (MK)
-- The OLD Cinderella Castle store where they had gorgeous medieval costume gowns that weren't branded "princess" outfits.
-- The old smell on the monorail -- more of a plastic air-conditioned aroma that didn't smell like petting zoo.
-- Catholic Mass at the Polynesian Luau Cove early Sunday morning. (not an attraction, but I miss it)

What else?

bleukarma
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It was one of my faves and I was so disappointed when they took it out!

Epcotfan21
04-23-2007, 04:27 PM
It has to be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for me.

TinkRocks
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Horizons (oh, that wonderful orange / citrus smell)...

Kitchen Kabaret

Journey Into Imagination

Food Rocks

Captain EO

CM~Mserrano
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Don't know if anyone will remember this at all, but the Adventureland Challange at the MK. I remember spending the entire day waiting for new ones to start and playing that awesome game. Then, they would just give you a pass that let you go to the front of the line. SO much fun. Also, 20,000 leagues under the sea. I was too short to be able to sit on the seat and look out the window at the same time, I was always looking forward to being able to do that :( Also, as previously mentioned, the wonderful smell of the oranges at Horizons. Take flight was a nice relaxing ride as well although I really enjoy Buzz Lightyear. My all time favorite though will always be Alien Encounter. That will be sorely missed by me forever!

Aww, i miss the good old days!

BigRedDad
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mr Toad's Wild Ride
Hercules pinball machine at the Contemporary
The arcade at Pioneer Hall from the 70s

Vanlandingham
04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Mr. Toad wins this one in my mind easy, though I have to give some respect to the good 'ole World of Motion at EPCOT. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Test Track (quite frankly its probably a better attraction by far) but World of Motion was one of my all time favorites when I was a little kid.

Delta Dreamflight/Take Flight was another one of my favorites from growing up that I miss. Wow I guess I had a thing for rides focused on transportation.

kathymk616
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
This is going to be very obscure, but I miss the sound of the monorail doors getting closed by hand on the older monorails. Anyone else remember the sound? You're sitting in the monorail, excited to get to the Magic Kingdom, and you hear "thump...thump...thump...thump..." And you know that you'll be there soon! I know that the current monorail design is much more efficient; but I still miss that sound! :mickey: :mickey:

Jared
04-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I miss Horizons because it is the one attraction I never rode that sounds spectacular.

Of attractions I have experienced, I would bring back Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - Play It! because I never earned a chance in the Hot Seat.

pook@wdw
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
My long-gone :( faves are...
Skyway @ MK
20,000 Leagues @ MK
Aaaahhh, how I love the classics!!:cloud9:

pianobabe
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I have to go with Food Rocks. I loved the parodies of the songs. It was something my son and I both loved. I miss it, but Soarin' is worth it.

NewmanFamily6
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I loved 20,000 Leagues & Mr. Toad. I also would love to see the Alice in Wonderland ride:mickey:

wedway fan
04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
miss the horizons smell, for sure, but miss these more: 20K leagues, main street penny arcade, main street magic shop, monster sound show at the studios.

Bethanymouse
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Mr. Toad....:(

Mickey'sApprentice
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I miss Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree. It was a good show and gave you a chance to get a snack and rest for a few minutes.

Donald Duck 224
04-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I loved millionaire and wish they could have kept it.

Vanlandingham
04-23-2007, 11:47 PM
This is going to be very obscure, but I miss the sound of the monorail doors getting closed by hand on the older monorails. Anyone else remember the sound? You're sitting in the monorail, excited to get to the Magic Kingdom, and you hear "thump...thump...thump...thump..." And you know that you'll be there soon! I know that the current monorail design is much more efficient; but I still miss that sound! :mickey: :mickey:

HAHA that's not obscure. In fact, me and my brother were just talking about this yesterday. We used to like the sound and process of closing the old Mark IV monorail doors as well. Nice call on this.

mrsgaribaldi
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I loved millionaire and wish they could have kept it.

me too:thumbsup:

Marceline
04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
I miss Horizons so bad it hurts. :(

cinderellagrl
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
of the things I can remember... Alien Encounter! I was very upset when they changed it. I was finally able to enjoy this attraction without being scared out of my mind!

FormerCastMember
04-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Horizons
The Original Journey into Your Imagination
Cranium Command
Superstar Television
Who Wants to be a Millionaire...Play It!

Mickey91
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
MK
Mr Toad
Skyline
Dream Flight
20,000 Leagues
original Tiki Room
Time Keeper

EPCOT
original Energy
original Journey into Imagination
Cranium Command
Horizons
World of Motion
original Living Seas
probably the original Space Ship Earth

4ubie1
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
The ones that i seem to miss the most are World of Motion or Horizons. I know that they were seriously showing their age but...but..they were still fun to ride on. :D I hope Disney brings in attractions similar to these...ya know the ones that are sortof "a slow ride-through, see all sorts of fun scenes" type of attraction. I think we need more of them!:thumbsup:

bleukarma
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM

I completely forgot that they used to do this!!!! Good call!!!!!!!!!

I also miss the Main Street Magic Shop! My brother and I used to spend tons of time in there looking at all the different stuff before we would leave the park for the day. One of my favorite memories is fooling my late uncle with an exploding mustard bottle that came from that shop!

BigRedDad
04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I didn't know Millionaire went. It will always be a memory. My wife got on stage during our Honeymoon.

Marker
04-24-2007, 10:03 AM
There are a lot of the extinct attractions that I have a fondness for....

However, no one has mentioned TimeKeeper. I really enjoyed Timekeeper. It was so fun to turn around and watch behind you, there was a surprising amount of activity going on behind that probably most people never saw.

So I'd have to say Timekeeper.
Also, Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree, I really miss that show.

One other thing I'd like to add to the list is the actual "Studio" at Disney/MGM Studios. You know, the actual production studio that turned out features such as Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear. It was so cool knowing there was actual production going on there, and seeing actual animators.

MOJoe
04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
3 - Mr. Toads Wild Ride
Every time i go to Fantasyland i miss it.

2 - Enchanted Tiki Room
No matter how hard i try to like it, the new version is just bad.

1 - Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play it
A tragic and substantial loss for The Studios.

Belle_0717
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
There are so many and I know I am going to forget at least 2.

MK
- Penny Arcade
- Magic Shop
- Cinema (where there were 6 screens)
- Egg Roll Cart
- original version Tiki
- Mr Toad - of course
- Alien Encounter
- original version Carousel of Progress
- Wedway People Mover - now TTA seems like something changed

EPCOT
- Walter Cronkite on Spaceship Earth (found a video of it on google to show DH)
- Body Wars - since it is never opened when I am there
- Horizons - you can relive the orange smell, eat an orange fruit Mentos
- original Journey Into Imagination
- Kitchen Kabaret
- Food Rocks

MGM
- Hunchback of Notre Dame show
- Backlot tour with Residential Street
- WWTBAM - DH and brother-in-law are heartbroken

Did I miss anything???

poeticeclipse
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I miss Horizons so bad it hurts. :(

Agreed. It really is painful to walk by Mission:Space and think that one of the best rides at WDW used to stand right there. I mean, who doesn't wanna choose their adventure while hanging from a wire?

I also would have liked to experience 20K Leagues, I think it closed before my first trip or I just never got on it during the vacation. I wish I could go back in time like.. 15 years ago and ride all of the rides that existed then. :cloud9:

biodtl
04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
If You Had Wings – I loved that as a child. The part where you felt like you were going fast on boats, motorcycles, etc was absolutely thriling to me. I can still hear that song playing in my head.

Mr Toad, of course. While my kids loved the Winnie the Pooh ride, Mr Toad was way more fun.

Space Mountain – even though the ride is the same, I still remember the first year it was open, walking through at the end and seeing all the “out of this world” future stuff, like shopping on TV. I remember teasing my mom about how much she would like that, all the while, knowing full well it would never happen. Lol!

The skyway – it was a great way to get across the park and a chance to get off your feet and away from the crowds for a few minutes.

Penny Arcade

Mickey Mouse Revue

CircleVision 360

maizey05
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
We were so sad to see Millionaire gone on our last trip. The friends who went with us were pumped for possibly making it to the hotseat. I also miss River Country, 20,000 leagues, Original "Imagination" ride, Mr. Toad.

Jeff G
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Powder Hand Soap.

Seriously, prorbably the thing I miss most is the Studios Walking Tour where you could watch actual animators working on upcoming movies.

disney100%
04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
I would have to say that I miss Skyway (MK) the most. I have some great pictures of Fantasyland from the gondolas! I also miss World of Motion and the original Universe of Energy.

QTPie68
04-25-2007, 03:21 AM
CircleVision 360

AHA......with people talking about the Timekeeper, I was wondering if anyone else remember what was there BEFORE. I really liked it, even though I had to stand, but it was pretty cool!!

RAIDER
04-25-2007, 03:40 AM
20,000 LEAGUES

and the orginal Living Seas

like some other people have added :thumbsup: :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alien Encounter and the original Tiki Room :tikki:

Guya103
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I also miss the old plastic-like smell of the monorail, Horizons at Epcot and Mr. Toad at MK. Many new attractions contiue to excite, but they can't replace the old. :mickey:

Vanlandingham
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
However, no one has mentioned TimeKeeper. I really enjoyed Timekeeper. It was so fun to turn around and watch behind you, there was a surprising amount of activity going on behind that probably most people never saw.

How could I forget to mention Timekeeper? I must really be slipping these days. I was a huge fan of that attraction.

Powder Hand Soap.
:mickey:

lyle21
04-25-2007, 09:17 AM
the original tiki room
horizons
main street (now it is nothing like it used to be)
epcot entrance w/out the leave a legacy monoliths

Marilyn Michetti
04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Ahhhhhhhh......Marker beat me to Timekeeper. That was the best attraction ever. Because it was seasonal, it wasn't always open the first week of Dec. I shall alway miss the professor and 9-eyes, and that glorious feeling of flying with Jules Verne (?).:sled:

lyle21
04-25-2007, 01:10 PM
yeah, you guys are right. timekeeper was cool. i do miss it.

and the country bear jamboree christmas show.

bmj721
04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I miss the Skyway, 20,000 Leagues, Mickey Mouse Revue, Alien Encounters, and the original Tikki Birds. I also miss the Frozen Coffee I can't find any more in the AK. But they say progress is good. Hmmm.

Goofster
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
I really miss the Timekeeper. It was one of those rides that I really enjoyed because of the overall quality of the presentation and the ride experience.

Everytime I see the New Tikiroom, I am reminded about how much I miss the Original. I HATE the new one with a passion.

I also miss the nice open space in Adventureland that is now occupied by the Magic Carpet Ride. I also miss the original look of those buildings prior to the changeover to Agrabah.

BigBaloo
04-25-2007, 03:17 PM
I also miss the Frontierland Shooting Gallery when they used real BB guns. I remember being 8 years old wearing a Davy Crockett coonskin cap & begging my dad if we could shoot 1 more round. I vaguely remember the Swan boats that went around the castle, but don't know if I ever went on them.

TKSax
04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I miss Horizons and 20000 leagues the most.

cgriff
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Plaza Swan Boats
Main Street Penny Arcade
Main Street Party Line Phone! :(
Dreamflight
Original POTC with pirates chasing wenches :pirate:
Skyway to Tomorrowland/Fantasyland
Tropical Serenade (the actual name of WDW's original Tiki Bird show) :tikki:

ye all shall be missed.

cgriff

bellerose
04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Horizons
The Magic Shop on Main Street
And I know it's not really gone...but Cranium Command...Loved Buzzy!!

dinahvixen
04-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Boy, I hadn't thought of that in years. I remember that sound and standing in line watching the CMs go down the line closing them. Ah, the memory! I do remember as a kid wondering if they had ever slammed someone's hand in those doors. Thanks for the smile on that one!

DisneyOtaku
04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Mr. Toad and 10,000 Leagues for MK attractions.

I miss the old ride found in The Living Seas--I haven't been on the Nemo one, so I don't know how good it is yet.

Polynesian Dweller
04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
There are so many great classics missing that Disney could start a classics park and still get people. Having to choose a few for me they are:

Kitchen Cabaret
Horizons
World of Motion
TImekeeper

and the old Mardi Gras 3:00pm parade with the inflated, gigantic balloon characters.

Donald Duck
04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Horizons and World of Motion.

Sportster
04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
The Tapestry of Nations parade and the Sea Cabs in the Living Seas.

Speedy1998
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Mike Fink Keel Boats.
Davy Crocket Canoes.

"Don't worry, they are only firing wooded bullets. If you get hit give me a wooded nickel, I will give you a wooded band-aid, and then it wooded hurt, wood it."

Pop Centurion
04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
The old waterfalls at the entrance to Tomorrowland.Wow, I forgot all about that. I miss Alien Encounter. Also even though it isn't an attraction, I miss Tubies Buffeteria in the Dolphin.

jenperich
04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Skyway for me too!! 20,000 was the first Disney ride that I actually remember going on. It was my mom and me...what a great memory. :-)

GrmGrninGost
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Got to be 20,000 Leagues, followed closely by Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!!

Kate In Wonderland
04-28-2007, 05:06 PM
- Delta Dreamflight
- World of Motion
- Mr. Toad
- The original Tiki Room
- Tapestry of Nations parade

Toad
04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

AdventurerKim
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
2. Skyway
3. Original Tikki Room show
4. Main Street Electrical Parade
5. Horizons
6. World of Motion
7. Original Imagination
8. Captain EO 3-D movie
9. Monster Sound Show
10. Original MGM Backstage Tour
11. Original Animation Tour with working animators

CraniumCommando
04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Lots of agreement with previous posters.

Horizons
World of Motion
Kitchen Kabaret
Communicore
Penny Arcade
Diamond Horseshoe Jubilee
CircleVision & Timekeeper (even though they were in the same space)
Monster Sound Show
the old Animation Tour (with the Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite movie)

This brings me back to my idea of a virtual Disney World. I bet they have enough film footage, soundtracks, and design specs to recreate these rides in a virtual format. Set up some ride vehicles in Innoventions and allow people to choose an old ride from a list. I could get lost in a place like that for days. :mickey:

dumbo ears
04-29-2007, 01:29 PM
since i have only been to WDW is recent years there hasn't been too many extinct that I was there for. though there is one that I would have wanted to see and that would be Mr. Toads wild ride. i just have always wanted to see that.

MinnieMommie
04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Figment and the original imagination ride
Delta Dreamflight
Food rocks
Horizons
The Skyway ride was cool to look at even if you did not ride in it. I miss seeing it.
and
last but Not least.....Mr Toad's Wild Ride!!!

DizDaddy966
04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Skyway @ MK
20,000 Leagues @ MK
Food Rocks
Skyway is one of my earliest Disney memories from my 1st trip in summer of 1975 :D

Aggie97
04-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

DisneyDudet
04-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Alien Encounter

Captain EO

The Original Imagination w/ Dreamfinder and Figment

World of Motion

The Backlot Tour.. with the houses and the special effects demonstration from Honey I Shrunk The Kids

Beaver Tails

Ice Station Cool (Club Cool is just not the same!)

Main Street Electrical Parade

Fantasy In The Sky

DisneyNut2005
07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
yeah, you guys are right. timekeeper was cool. i do miss it.

and the country bear jamboree christmas show.

The CBJ Xmas show is not gone for good.

The real reason why the CBJ holiday overlay didn't happen last year was because they needed to re-clear certain copyrights for some of the songs used in the show, particularly for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and they couldn't obtain them on time. It was not because of cost or attendance as other sources proclaim.

So, the CBJ Xmas show IS returning this year.

As a matter of fact, the Rudolph song was cut out of "Celebrate the Season" and "Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas" this past year, due to the same copyright issues that caused the Bears' Xmas show to get cancelled for that year.

MickeysEars
07-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Did Disney World ever have the ride that was a Disneyland that "shrunk' you down. It called was called Adventure through Innerspace. Loved it!!! But in my Disney World going days I would have to say Time Keep and Old Backlot Tour.

GhostHost999
07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
This is always a tough topic for me because it seems like Disney World is always getting rid of my favorite things.

First it was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I loved that ride.

Then they took away the original Journey into Imagination. (I still miss that one badly).

Last but not least, the took away Horizons. Horizons was so special as it not only gave us great looks at what the future could be, but it was the first ride where my grandfather got the hang of the moving walkway. :mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-10-2007, 11:46 PM
These are the ones that are sadly missed for me

-Mr Toad's
-Main St Electrical Parade
-Kitchen Kaberet
-Backlot Tour with residential section (Miss the Golden Girl house!!! :cry::crying::sob:)
-Horizons
-Original Tiki Room
-Original Figment

AND
The entrance to Epcot without Leave a Legacy

Rica
07-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I miss 20,000 Leagues, Mr. Toad, and the Skyway. :(

kimommy63
07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Hey,
okay, I miss a few, but top of the list would be 20000 leagues and skyway. I remember going on both of those every summer at Disneyland and knew they had them at WDW so was just so sad when I finally got there as an adult and they were gone! :(

IloveJack
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I would definitely have to say Timekeeper and Journey into Imagination. Istill get a huge grin on my face when I listen to JII's soundtrack on my iPod.

On my (and my family's) first trip, the professor and Figment were standing at the exit to the ride. My dad and brother were amazed by the jumping fountains, and we hung around for quite some time. After all other exiters had moved along, the professor noticed my brother. Figment grabbed my brother's hat off his head, and threw it into the bushed. This continued over and over for probably 5 minutes, until some smaller children showed up. It was something small, but one of my best memories of that trip. I was very sad when they changed the ride. Although, as I've heard Figment is back, I'll be by there on Saturday for sure!

3 more days...

Fantasmic
07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Horizons (my all time fave at Epcot)
Alien Encounter
Journey Into Imagination

:(

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I have two I miss.

1.) Alien Encounter
2.) Legend of the Lion King (although I do like Mickey's Philharmagic).

hibes
07-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Horizons and Journey into imagination. Horizons was fantastic.

mainemajor
07-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Mr. Toad
Main Street Cinema
Main Steet Magic Shop
The living statues in Italy

The waterfalls entering tommorowland were cool in their time.

Youngest son (19yr old) chimed in with 20,000 leagues - not me

dolphinmickey9170
07-13-2007, 06:45 PM
For me its:

Body Wars
Cranium Command
The Making Of Me
Food Rocks
Alien Encounter
Timekeeper
Animation Tour
Boat ride around Tree of Life

Followthatmouse
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Horizons
Cranium Command
Timekeeper

It appears that some of the truly imaginative attractions disappear... unless they are thrill rides.:(

Of course, it doesn't stop return visits to the World. It just makes me a little nostalgic.

jwallace378
07-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd have to say 20,000 Leagues and Horizons. This is gonna sound funny, but I agree with the 1st person who posted about the old-school "plasticky air conditioned smell" on the monorail. It was one of those scents that always reminded me of WDW.

IloveDisney71
07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I miss 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Skyway. I have pictures that my mom took from the Skyway and it's fun to look back at those - and the funny clothes we wore! :blush:

DisneyFanatic11
07-18-2007, 11:30 PM
I miss the Tarzan Rocks! show at Animal Kingdom. I have yet to see Nemo, but I will surely miss singing along to my favorite Tarzan songs. That show was awesome.

battlefield2freak
07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
id have to say either, 20,000 leagues under the sea or alien encounter.

beksy
07-19-2007, 09:30 AM
I miss Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree. It was a good show and gave you a chance to get a snack and rest for a few minutes.

:ditto::sob: I absolutely loved that (to the point of making my family visit each day we were in the MK! :blush:)! Right up there would be Mr. Toad (I thought I was actually driving the car when I was younger) and Delta Dreamflight (another one we rode over and over in a row!) For my sister it would have to be the Skyway ride. She insisted on it several times a day. :confused:

sashiroo
07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I LOVED If You Had Wings when I was a kid! The little cars going into the airplane at the beginning, the big screen flying at the end. It was the best! I was also VERY upset when they closed Mr Toad. My DH, then BF, happened to be there on the last weekend before it closed so we ended up riding it many, many times.

boobalk
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
:number1::number1::number1: the original "MAIN ST ELECTRICAL PARADE":number1::number1:

Daisy'sMom
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Horizons, World of Motion in Epcot, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea at Magic Kingdom and original Sound Show at MGM. These attractions made you think, now they just seem to be interested in the thrills.

DessertDivaFL
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It was one of my faves and I was so disappointed when they took it out!

AMEN! My feelings too!

PeterPanFan
07-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Mr Toads wild ride. It was awsome!

Alien Encounter. Very Scary!!!

and of coure the Orignal Figment ride. Gorsh I loved it so

texasteacher
07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Horizons - I loved that quiet "being out in space" moment.
If You Had Wings
The original Carousel of Progress
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

texasteacher
07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I forgot to add the original Figment!

Christine
07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Millionaire :cry: