PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the heat!

IwannabeAprincess
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I am going to Disney in the middle of August and have heard from some that it can get quite hot. Any tips on how to stay cool or what to bring to the parks in orderto stay cool would be much appreciated. Thanks!! :cool:

krose78
04-23-2007, 02:43 PM
At the dollar store they should sell little fans. They had strings on them that you could put around your neck. This worked really nice when we needed a cool breeze.

faline
04-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Drink lots of water.
Many folks use the misting fans.
Some folks use wet washcloths or commercial prodcuts that wrap around their necks.

I'm a big fan of mid-day breaks at this time of year. Generally, we'll go to the parks early. We'll plan a table service lunch for around 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. in a nice, air conditioned restaurant. Then we return to our resort for some pool and relaxation time. It's back to the parks in the late afternoon or early evening, feeling much more refreshed.

merlinmagic4
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
We brought the misting fans that you fill with water. They really are nice in the heat! They also sell cooling neck bands at Walmart but I've never tried them.

It's good to get an early start and then break midday for the pool. The evenings in the summer are great! I love tropical evenings!

We went 8/19-8/26 in 2005 and found the crowds to be very light (almost nonexistent compared to this last week we went!). So we actually spent very little time in the heat because we would go from one air conditioned place to another. The parade was when we really felt it so you could skip that.

Keep hydrated by bringing bottles of water in. You can refill at the tap and add a powdered flavoring of your choice to mask the tap taste.

Have a great trip :mickey:

BashfulMom
04-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I bought a "mist" fan at Wal-Mart and it helps, but I would definately recommend an afternoon break at your hotel if possible.

kakn7294
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
We'll be there in mid-August too! If you plan to stay in the parks all day without a mid-day break there are several things you can do. The mini-fans sometimes help a bit when you are waiting in a long line - some come with a spray bottle but if that's too big for you to carry around, take a separate mini-spray bottle. Eating a later lunch in an air-conditioned location, either CS or TS, will help to refresh you. Work in some shopping - sometimes it's nice just to be inside for a bit - you don't actually have to buy anything and you can sometimes use the shops as a means to get around the parks. Try to experience the air-conditioned attractions in the middle of the day.

tink2006
04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=faline;1266308]Drink lots of water.
Many folks use the misting fans....I'm a big fan of mid-day breaks at this time of year.

We are big on the fans and afternoon breaks. We always go in August. Call us crazy but we love the heat!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=faline;1266308]Drink lots of water.
Many folks use the misting fans....I'm a big fan of mid-day breaks at this time of year.

We are big on the fans and afternoon breaks. We always go in August. Call us crazy but we love the heat!

I wouldn't go so far as to say we "love" the heat, but we can't bring ourselves to wait till after the summer to go:blush: ....so these two things work for us. And duck in and out of as much AC as possible.....:sun:

E-OR
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
We always freeze a couple bottles of water to have in the park and make sure that everyone stays hydrated. We also take a break during the hottest part of the day and spend it by a pool or in an air conditioned place. We try to go to AKL in the morning. That park always seems hotter to us than any other park and seems like there is little breeze that blows there.

Strmchsr
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Besides what others have already suggested - wear loose fitting clothing and "wicking" undergarments like Underarmor (sports clothing) go a long way towards helping. They wick moisture away from your body which a.) helps you feel cooler and b.) keeps you from feeling so sticky. I often wear the same stuff that I have under my hockey gear in the parks and have no trouble with chaffing or feeling too hot even in the worst heat.

alicia524luvstw
04-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Yes, all of the above and I like to use a foot spray from the Body Shop. It has tea tree and eucalyptus oil. Great for hot swollen feet. Works wonders.

LauraSAnne
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Has anyone ever used the neckband coolers? I've read about them and they seem pretty interesting, but haven't known of anyone who's tried them.

Lorraine444
04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I have used cool ties before. I have a girlfriends husband that just SWEATS! He uses these around the yard.
They have a gel in them that stays cool, keep them in ice overnight. I did post a thread on this a few weeks ago. You can search google for cool ties. They have many different prints & do benefit! I will be odering them myself!

DizneyRox
04-24-2007, 10:09 AM
As others have suggested... WATER WATER WATER!

Usually by about 11am I've already gone through about 1/2 gallon of water. Staying hydrated is the key.

I would also suggest sandals like Teva's. Wearing an open shoe will keep your feet cool which will help with the rest of your body as well. Plus with the afternoon rain storms, they dry remarkably fast so you're not walking around in hot wet sneakers the rest of the day.

WATER! Drink it!

Michigander
04-24-2007, 10:11 AM
This may sound silly but we freeze wash cloths and take them into the parks with us when the heat gets bad we take a cloth place it inside a hat and set it on our heads it works wonders at cooling your whole body down as it slowly comes on thawed. We always take a cooler in with us with water bottles that were half filled with water and frozen the night before and fresh water add to fill them the rest of the way up at the start of the day and then we put one in and old baby bottle holder to keep it from melting to fast. the others go in the cooler with our snacks and the frozen clothes. I'm telling you this works great.