PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Allergy

BashfulMom
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
We just found out that our DS has a peanut allergy. How I can find out how WDW handles this situation?
I am more concerned about the items that may have been processed on the same equipment as a peanut product. It's those items that seem to cause the most problem for us. I would have never thought my DS couldn't have Little Debbie snack cakes (they are all processed on the same equipment). I grew up on those things.

disney's pocahanta's
04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
We just found out that our DS has a peanut allergy. How I can find out how WDW handles this situation?
I am more concerned about the items that may have been processed on the same equipment as a peanut product. It's those items that seem to cause the most problem for us. I would have never thought my DS couldn't have Little Debbie snack cakes (they are all processed on the same equipment). I grew up on those things.

hi i have a 8 yera old daughter who is allergic to all peanut's /all nut's 7 seafood eggs ect! It is scary i know but walt disney world is great about it! I went there for the first time alone with to my to daughters and they were gret about it all!Just call waltdisney dining and when you book your meals tell them there is allergies and tell them what to.my daughters could be life threatning i carry a epi-pen for her.when you tell them they will list it with all your meals you book but telleach resturant just as an extra percaution then when you arive at each resturant tell the server rightaway and they will send the chef out to talk to you and tell you what the child can eat. If there is something the child does not like they will make something else!!:mickey: I never felt safer with my child eating out then i did in waltdisney!!:thumbsup: hope i was helpful..

kcrc
04-23-2007, 02:23 PM
My 4 year old son also has a peanut allergy. We took he and my 9 year old to DW for the first time last year. After seeing how WONDERFUL Disney was with his allergy, I'm not sure I would feel safe going anywhere else!
At the counter service places, they had a book with the ingredients of every item right next to the registers. For the TS, we did let them know when we made our reservations, and re-informed them when we were seated. The chefs came out to speak about the menu, and what was safe/not safe. At Chef Mickey's the chef made my son his own waffles because he didn't want him to have any that were sitting out. At Grand Floridian Cafe, they went to the restaurant next door (1900 Park Fare) to get us rolls because theirs had sesame seeds, and they wanted to err on the side of caution. At the Crystal Palace (and all buffets), the chef walks you through the entire buffet to tell you what's good/not good. At CP, they baked us our own set of rolls and brought them right to the table. We even went to places we would not normally do at home. We ate at the food court type area in The Land at Epcot, and my son had sweet & sour chicken because the chef confirmed its safety. We don't go to Chinese restaurants anymore at home. We also got ice cream at the Edy's place on Main Street in MK. Ice cream parlors are another place we generally avoid at home. There, they washed off the scoop for my son, and went into the back and opened a brand new giant container of ice cream just for him.

You will be VERY VERY pleased with the way they handle allergies. I cannot speak highly enough about them! :thumbsup:

Jasper
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
We have friends who have a child with the same issue. They went to Disney World a couple of months ago. They said they had told the reservation people about the allergy when they booked their reservations and they said that this did help. Of course not every place they ate at took reservations plus they just wanted to err on the side of caution so they told every server and every counter person about the allergy when ordering.

They said the response from everyone at Disney World was just fantastic and was very helpful. In fact, they said that at least a couple of the wait staff actually thanked them for reminding them about the issue because in the normal rush of doing their jobs it is easy to forget. They said several of the restaurants actually gave them extra written materials about their meals, how they are prepared and where the supplies come from to help in makeing selections.

I wish you luck in managing your daughter's allergy! I understand from our friends that it can be very difficult to manage this kind of allergy because peanuts are very common in the American diet in so many ways that many of us don't recognize ranging from cooking oils to added fats in products. It does help that your child is at an age where she can begin to understand the rules and will hopefully help in managing her allergy.

illini
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
When you make ADRs, they will indeed make a notation for each one. The chefs came out to meet us every time, even walking us through the buffets. Toward the end of the week, we were getting tired of it, actually-- the other kids were jealous that the little one could get anything she wanted (they even made egg-free pancakes for her).
I also got an email from someone, somewhere at Disney (I am so so sorry-- I can't remember who but I'm 99.9% sure that I got it from Info Central or someone on the boards) listing almost all the snacks at Disney and what allergens they had. It included processed in the same plant/same equipment for peanuts.

TheRustyScupper
04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
1) Table Service restaurants can accommodate allergies.
. . . many have preset menu items
. . . sometimes chefs come out and speak with you
2) Very few Counter Service can accommodate.
. . . menu items are volume-made
. . . there are very few substitutions
. . . but, there are a few pre-sealed allergy food.

KAT1811
04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
When I was working in a restaurant I had a guest give me a card that listed her highly allergenic foods on it and asked me to give it to the chef. I also showed it to her server before passing it on tho the chef. On the card it listed all of the foods she was allergic to and a little note that reminded us that her allergy is very life threatening. With the constant reminder (that info card) right in front of everyone there was no way of forgetting. Especially because it was the first time any of us had ever seen such a thing. I always thought that it was such a great idea.