PDA

View Full Version : Lunch at MGM?

IceCreamlover
04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Where's a good place for lunch at MGM (or its it Disney Studios)? We don't like heavy meals during the day so that we're hungry for dinner, so we haven't done any sit-down types. But is there something worth trying that isn't too filling (sit down or counter service)? Thanks!!!

lightyearfan
04-23-2007, 12:35 PM
well you might want to try Toy Stories Pizza Planet, now this isn't the best pizza , but it's not bad either. last time we ate there, the pies are kind of small, so there shouldn't be a full feeling afterwards

Victor

Speedy1998
04-23-2007, 12:41 PM
My favorite is the cart in front of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular that sell Philly cheese Steaks.
(Unfortunately it is not on the DP).

jpcns50
04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I am personally a big fan of Sci-Fi Dine In Theater. I really like the food and the atmosphere. I'm not a guru on the menu, but I'm sure there is something to chose from that is not very heavy or filling. I usually get a burger and they are very good!!!

Polynesian Dweller
04-23-2007, 01:12 PM
We have two favs, Mama Melrose for sitdown and Backlot Express for counter. Backlot is a basic Disney counter service place but we love the themeing of a backlot warehouse.

Mama Melrose's is Italian and you can have either heavy or light depending on how much you want.

TIdoubleGR
04-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Backlot Express is good-- was better when they offered hot cheese as a side, but still not bad when it comes to dining at MGM.

I've never tried Sci-Fi, but it always looks like a lot of fun...hopefully will have the chance to try it next trip down.

Disney_Barbie
04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Polynesian Dweller;1266180]We have two favs, Mama Melrose for sitdown and Backlot Express for counter.QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was going to recommend too. These are not only my two favorite resturants in MGM but my favorite table service & quick service in all of WDW. Everything I've ever had at Mama Melrose was award-winning and the Backlot makes a Grilled Vegetable Sandwitch that I've seen convert Veggie-Haters!

Granny Jill A
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Backlot Express gets my vote. Food is good, service is good, and there are plenty of seats if you go before or after the traditional meal times. It's one of my favorite places for a cool break.

ricguz
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree that either Mama Melrose or Sci-Fi have good choices for lunch:mickey:

Hayden's Dad
04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree with Sci Fi we love the atmosphere.

AdventurerKim
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Lunch at MGM for use is either Sci-Fi or Mama Melrose's depending on the season of the trip. We eat at one on fall/winter trips and the other on spring/summer trips. The Backlot is good for the usual burgers, and we also like the new Greek selections at the CS place near Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playset.

Maleficent's Dad
04-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Brown Derby for the Cobb Salad.
It's sit-down, excellent service, and reasonably priced (for the salad). Perfect lunch! :thumbsup:

WishingStar2006
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention the ABC Commisary....it's a very nice CS with a variety that is not "burger and fries" that you get everywhere else. We always make it a point to have lunch there...it's inside (so air conditioned in the summer) and pleasant atmosphere...it's right next to the Sci-Fi.

Have fun!!!!! :mickey:

Tink&Goofy
04-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Another vote for Backlot Express. They have a great variety, lots of space and seating.

Sci Fi - great atmosphere, but the food? :ack:

rsumrall
04-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Backlot Express has a good variety. Last time i had a wonderful turkey sandwich with roasted veggies. The props on display are interesting too.

King Triton
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I'd probably go with Backlot Express or the Commissary.

My opinion is that MGM/DS is the weakest of the four in terms of CS eateries, but I'm sure some will disagree. Especially disappointing was Pizza Planet...average at best food, and a great opportunity for Disney theming gone bad. Maybe they'll rethink and relocate Pizza Planet when Toy Story Mania comes in.

Yimmy
04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Since you don't want to get too stuffed during lunch, I'd have to recommend the Backlot Express. My DW and I tried that in '05 with our counter service dining plan option, and enjoyed their selection of light fare.

However, if you have just a weee bit more room to accomodate both a good lunch portion & dinner, we loved the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. We've tried both lunch & dinner there and enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere. :thumbsup:

May524
04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
A vote for Sci-Fi!
The burgers were great this past trip, and love the onion rings. We love the atmosphere. :mickey:

thejens
04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I plan to get a chocolate shake at the Sci Fi when I am there next month! The food is blah but my kids love eating in a car and watching scary movies. Actually the burgers are okay too.

ILoveLegos
04-25-2007, 04:18 PM
We always eat lunch at the ABC Commissary. Like another poster mentioned it's air-conditioned! Plus we rarely find it crowded, you can see clips of TV shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition and the meal portions are not huge and we don't get that weighed down feeling. I like the Taboleh & noodles best.
BTW - you can get pancakes, eggs, and the like for breakfast too -we ate there when another "bagel" breakfast was just not going to "cut it" for our group - it was a welcome change to have hotcakes after many a "grab and go breakfasts.

atruman
04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Brown Derby for the Cobb Salad.
It's sit-down, excellent service, and reasonably priced (for the salad). Perfect lunch! :thumbsup:

Took the words right out of my mouth. The Cobb Salad at the Brown Derby is among the best I have ever had, and shouldn't fill you up too much.

Natazu
04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Starring Rolls. Huge sandwiches big enough to share and the best desserts at MGM.

psychotekkie
04-25-2007, 11:03 PM
If you have young kids, be careful with Toy Story Pizza Planet. Maybe it's just MY kids, I don't know. Although they loved the place, it was near impossible to drag them off the arcade games just to eat a pizza. They didn't even care if we put money in the machines, they were happy just to pretend they were playing the games! I'd rather avoid the conflict and go somewhere else.

Cinderelley
04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Starring Rolls. Huge sandwiches big enough to share and the best desserts at MGM.

I have to agree with Natazu. Starring Rolls is the best!