PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Access

poeticeclipse
04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
How does the wireless internet connection work? I will be staying at POP in a month with my soon to be hubby and we would like to take his laptop down so I can do live trip reports and upload our videos and pictures from each day. Now, from what i've heard it's $9.99 a day for internet access. I guess i'm just confused on how we get it and what other rates might apply. Any help would be much appreciated!

DizneyRox
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
POP doesn't have wireless Internet access available. You will need to hardwire your computer for Internet access. At that point it goes by the room number of the jack you plug into.

poeticeclipse
04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
POP doesn't have wireless Internet access available. You will need to hardwire your computer for Internet access. At that point it goes by the room number of the jack you plug into.

Hmm... okay. So, how do I go about doing that? Is it a complicated process? I'm slightly computer retarded when it comes to complicated junk.

Polynesian Dweller
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
It works the same way in all of the resorts. Plug in your LAN cable and start your internet browser. You'll get a sign-on screen where you agree to all the legal stuff and when you agree you have access.

There's only 1 trick you have to be sure of on a PC. Go into My Networks, select you LAN connection, double click on the Internet Protocol and then make sure Obtain an Internet address is selected and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected then click OK. Do that before you plug in the LAN cable and you will be OK.:thumbsup:

poeticeclipse
04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
So, I'm guessing I just need a LAN cable. Which i'm assuming came with the laptop. Now, to plug the cable into the wall, does that cost money? Is that where the 10 bucks a day comes in?

DizneyRox
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I would bring a LAN cable, although they may provide one there. LAN cables look much like a phone cable, however the ends are bigger.

The $10 a day will be charged to the room when you sign up. It's a 24 hour period, so if you use it for 1 hour, or all 24, the cost is the same. At the end of the 24 hour period, you'll need to sign up again.

Just plugging the cable into the computer and the wall WILL NOT initiate a charge, but you will be unable to get anywhere oher than the sign up page for Internet access until you authorize the charge to your room.

TheRustyScupper
04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
So, I'm guessing I just need a LAN cable. Which i'm assuming came with the laptop. Now, to plug the cable into the wall, does that cost money? Is that where the 10 bucks a day comes in?

1) All resorts have LAN cables.
2) If not in the room, call the Front Desk.
3) When you get on the Internet, the charges start.
4) Charges are $9.95 per day, plus tax.

What-r-ya, Goofy?
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
If you don’t need a high speed connection, and your ISP supports it, you can also use a dial-up connection to access the internet. Just make sure you dial a local phone number. The charge to your room will be for the cost of the local call only.:mickey:

poeticeclipse
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
If you don’t need a high speed connection, and your ISP supports it, you can also use a dial-up connection to access the internet. Just make sure you dial a local phone number. The charge to your room will be for the cost of the local call only.:mickey:

A dial-up connection? How would I know what phone number to dial? I'm super sorry i'm asking so many questions. I know how to do some advanced things on a computer but I'm not good with notebooks at all and I know nothing about them. haha.

khokhonutt
04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
A dial-up connection? How would I know what phone number to dial? I'm super sorry i'm asking so many questions. I know how to do some advanced things on a computer but I'm not good with notebooks at all and I know nothing about them. haha.

You'll want to contact your ISP to see if they offer dial-up as part of your package. When I had Earthlink high-speed, they offered dial-up access free. You did have to download and install software to make the dial-up connection. (you need to do this BEFORE you leave on your trip.) They also had a page where you could look for local numbers.

This will require that your laptop have a modem. Most laptops these days come with a LAN connection (looks like a phone plug, only bigger), a lot come with built in wireless, I'm guessing most come with a modem (typical phone plug), although it's possible that was an option.

I'd call your ISP, they should be able to tell you your options regarding dial-up.

That being said, if you're going to use dial-up it's gonna cost you something like 75 cents for every local call. To me it would be worth paying the extra money for the high speed, so I don't have to wait on dial-up.

My 2 cents.

Jeff

sgagnard
04-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Just be aware that if you are planning on uploading pictures or videos, dial-up is not the way to go. It will take forever.