PDA

View Full Version : travel time for dinner

chip2
04-23-2007, 09:00 AM
I was reading in the "Unofficial Guide" last night that getting from resort to resort for dinner can take up to 1 1/2 hours. I've been compiling a list of restaurants we might like to eat at and was wondering what experiences other people have had. If this is true then you would have to leave your resort at 4 or so to have a reasonable,( boys, 5 and 2) dinner time?

TBY2225
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I guess it would depend on when you go to the world. We went during free dining in September and it never took more than 30 minutes driving or by bus. I would give at least an hour though and you can always check in early and hopefully be seated pretty quick. We actually enjoyed walking around the resorts and checking them out before time to eat. Especially the Polynesian hotel!

DDuck66
04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I guess it would depend on when you go to the world. We went during free dining in September and it never took more than 30 minutes driving or by bus. I would give at least an hour though and you can always check in early and hopefully be seated pretty quick. We actually enjoyed walking around the resorts and checking them out before time to eat. Especially the Polynesian hotel!

Ditto for the above...we always leave about an hour early, check in at the restaurant and then browse through the resort. If you are taking a bus, just get on the first bus to a "park" that comes by. When you exit the bus, just down the line to the resort that you need to go to.
A lot of times we just resort hop since we live close. You can never tell what you might see at one of the resorts.

SBETigg
04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
That seems like a long time for transport. Do give yourself plenty of time, but it depends on where you are headed and what your transportation options are. I think 45 minutes is usually enough, but do be prepared and know that it takes time.

Cathy S
04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Resort dining is really worth the time it takes to get there. We always have a car with us so it never takes very long, however hopping a bus to any park and then hopping on the resort bus works well. Since you are probably looking at early seating times for your boys this should work great for you. The big time factor comes if you have to transfer at DTD. You may have to wait for a while for a bus there. But if you finish dining before the parks close you shouldn't have much of a wait at all.

One of the best things about resort dining is having the opportunity to see a resort "up close, and personal". I would try to book a dinner at BOMA and enjoy the outlook onto the Savannah, or the Boardwalk and enjoy the Boardwalk, or WL and enjoy the wilderness.

Don't be afraid to book some resorts for dining, you won't be sorry!

mook3y
04-23-2007, 11:00 AM
we went from POR to YC via DTD on our first trip and it took over an hour.

This past trip, if we were eating at a resort, we just took a taxi so we didn't have to worry about the timing.

Might get a little $$ if you did it a lot, but for 1 night, we thought it was way worth it.

Goes4FastPass
04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Most people underestimate this. And I think we they recall how long it took them in the past they have pixie dust sprinkled memories.

When you figure travel using WDW transportation you have to consider wher you are when you start your journey.

From any room at any resort to the bus stop or monorail stop or parking lot is a walk - sometimes a journey in itself.

Then you have to wait for your conveyance (good word) to arrive.

Then walk from where you get dropped off (or park) to where you're going to eat.

People use phrases like "pop over to Mama Melrose" but it's not even close to the entrance to MGM and if you going there from outside MGM...

We plan our touring and dining trying not to forget WDW is 42 sq miles.

Renting a car sounds nifty and we always rent a car everywhere except WDW.

splashtest
04-23-2007, 12:23 PM
An hour usually give you plenty of time. The buses can be the biggest problem. If you have to go a long way you may want to give yourself a little bit more time.

SBETigg
04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Most people underestimate this. And I think we they recall how long it took them in the past they have pixie dust sprinkled memories.

No doubt it can take awhile but smart planning can cut down on travel time without necessitating car rental or taxi. Leaving from a park to go straight to a dining destination will cut down on travel time. Or routing through a park instead of Downtown Disney.

For instance, if you have reservations to dine at 'Ohana, why not get dropped off at the MK and take the boat launch to the Polynesian? There's not a lot of wait time or walking between bus stop to boat launch or boat dock to Great Ceremonial House. Depending on meal times, there is often a better way than routing through Downtown Disney.

If you know your plans in advance and want to know the quickest way from point a to point b, just ask. Plenty of knowledgable volunteers on board. Which isn't to say that it won't take an hour anyway. People do underestimate times, as Goes4FastPass wisely points out.

tyandskyesmom
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
What ever you do do not use Downtown Disney as your middle man! Unless you're no longer in a hurry! That seems to always be the longest wait whenever we've been there.

I also do not think more than 45 minutes to 1 hour is needed and that is depending on where you are and where you are going to. Just do your homework and try to pick the most direct route.

If you're not sure and you are in the World, any cast member should be able to help you figure out the best route. We tend to use Epcot as our bounce off point a lot because it is a resort closest to most of the other resorts and when we like to go it is usually the one open the longest.

Otherwise, for specifics before your trip you can always ask here and probably get 4 or 5 different viable opinions!

Bruegge
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Ditto to all these good points.

My worst disney memory (thank God this is only the worst) Was rushing to get to a dinner ressie at Teppenyaki from the Poly in 2002.

CM said to walk to TTC rather than take the Monorail all the way around... He said it would be quicker... He was right... just more high speed walking.. Then getting into Epcot realizing your still 10-20 minutes away (ie 4yo in tow) from Japan.

Wound up speed walking with 4YO on my shoulders while DW complained how much she hated rushing around..(guess who was the last one out the door..LOL)

Needless to say we made it ..but rather than being stressed out it Would have been neat to walk slowly, stop in a shop or grab a beer in route.....

ALWAYS leave early and especially at Epcot for 2 months...stop and smell the roses...

Scott

Mnchknbrat1982
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
how much travel time should we plan for Whispering Canyon Cafe from Magic Kingdom? We're going to eat there on 9/23 at 5:40 pm. We plan to take the boat to and from.

mook3y
04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
how much travel time should we plan for Whispering Canyon Cafe from Magic Kingdom? We're going to eat there on 9/23 at 5:40 pm. We plan to take the boat to and from.

30 - 40 minutes from MK front gate to Whispering Canyon will be more than enough time. Could take under 20 minutes if your timing is good.

wdw_bound
04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

I would be at the MK dock by about 5. The boatride itself takes 10-15 minutes (WL is the first stop in the evenings), but you may have to wait for a boat. Then when you get to WL, you still have to walk up the path into WL, then up the hallway into the lobby, which can take another 5-10 minutes depending on the speed of your party. Being at the dock by 5 means you won't get there stressed out and you'll probably have time to check in and then enjoy the gorgeous lobby for a few minutes.

disney100%
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I am always the "planner" of the trips my family takes to WDW. So, when we have a reservation I always tell them we are leaving 90 minutes before the time. It has never yet taken us 90 minutes (which I receive a lot of razzing about everytime), but it can usually take a good hour. Of course, it all depends on hitting the bus/boat/etc. just right. But I would always choose the restaurant your family wants first and worry about the transportation later. There are too many good places to eat to rule out because of travel time.