PDA

View Full Version : Rides for 16 month old

skisurf2
04-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Any advice, what rides can a 16 month old ride?

kadesha
04-22-2007, 11:21 PM
i took my little one when she was younger than this. She was able to ride most everything. Obviously not any of the mountains, soarin, EE, anything like that. Fantasyland will be the best place for a kid that age, although there are very few things at MK that they won't be able to ride! :thumbsup:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
This is something that my wife and I are trying to figure out as well. I'd love to see someone who could break down, by park, which rides are generally appropriate for a child around that age.

We'll be going in July, and our daughter will be about 22 months old, so we're facing the same questions.

Outside of the MK, we're focusing on some of the things that she could explore at EPCOT, AK, and the Studios.

We're pretty sure that there are several things she could experience at the Studios, like Great Movie Ride (maybe the Alien part would not scare her if we try to distract her from that), the things to look at outside of Indiana Jones, "sets" near Muppetvision, etc.

Any other suggestions?

kathiep
04-23-2007, 10:01 AM
My daughter was 21 months old last fall when we went. There were plenty of activies for her to enjoy.

MK was the best park for her. She went on everything in Fantasyland, the carousel, small world, Dumbo, she loved Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan and Snow White. She even liked Buzz's spaceranger spin.

She was amazed by any movie or live show we saw. Mickey's Philharmonic was terrific.

Over at AK, she enjoyed the Festival of the Lion King and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. There was also the Boneyard where she had fun - didn't want to leave. And she loved seeing all the animals.

I think you'll find plenty to do with kids of all ages.

wendy*darling
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
We took our youngest at 18 months- there's lots to do.

Any park- all of the shows are great.
And any LIVE entertainment is great- there's lots all over, but Epcot has some really cool stuff.

*these attractions have loud or intense scenes, but your little one can sit on your lap (or very close to you) during the ride/event and that may make it OK.

MK-
All of Fantasyland (but I would not suggest Snow White's "Scary" Adventure)
Toon Town
Tomorrowland- Buzz Lightyear
Frontierland- Country Bears
Adventureland- Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Pirates*, Jungle Cruise.
The parades and fireworks*.

AK-
Rafiki's Planet Watch
Camp Minnie Mickey for Pocahontas and Festival of the Lion King
Dinoland Dig Site
Finding Nemo Musical
Afternoon Parade

MGM-
Playhouse Disney Live
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground
MuppetVision 3D*
Afternoon Parade

Epcot
Journey into Imagination*
Living with the Land
The Seas with Nemo & Friends
Spaceship Earth*
Universe of Energy*
Mexico's Gran Fiesta Tour
Walking thru the countries
Illuminations*

Plus, you have character interaction available at all parks and a number of character meals. I suggest making a couple of ADRs to meet Mickey and Pooh, etc.

Every park has a Baby Care Station for diaper changes, feeding, etc. They are air-conditioned, quiet and comfortable.

Don't forget the resort pool!

And I would suggest using the Baby Swap (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babyswap.asp)at rides your child can't do, but mom & dad want to do.

Lastly, check out InfoCentral's Toddler (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babytips.asp)section for more tips.

OK- one more last thing! Make this a vacation with your family- not a Disney commando tour. So many of the best moments will not be in an attraction- just enjoying whatever is going on around you. And take LOTS of photos! Don't dwell on what you can't do- but relish all the cool experiences you can have!

Bruegge
04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Hummmm

Never been with one that young but my 4yo thought the Monorail was a blast... Just driving around poly gf and mk was a lot of fun if your cooped up in the room while the rest of the fam is out playing

Scott

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Kathi, Wendy, and Scott!!

I did want to follow up on one thing - the 3D attractions (MuppetVision and MIckey's Philharmagic). How does a child so little, under 2 years old, do with those??

disney100%
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
We took my son when he was 14 months. He rode all the rides in Fantasyland, but we avoided Snow White simply because it is a little scary. We also took him on Buzz because Toy Story was his absolute favorite movie at the time. It was funny because he was looking around, but we weren't sure if it was because he was checking out the rides or just trying to figure out what was going on!

We did take him into Muppet Vision, though we did not have the glasses on him. He was fine. We did not take him into Honey I Shrunk the Audience, since it is much more intense than the Muppets. We also took him into It's a Bug Life, but he sat on my lap, so he didn't experience some of the effects and once again he didn't wear the glasses. Luckily, our son is very laid back and tends to be fearless when trying new things out. Like it has already been said though, we avoided all the mountains. Our next trip should be interesting, as my son will have just turned three, but my daughter will only be 18 months.

Have fun!

florida girl
04-24-2007, 10:22 AM
We took our DD when she was under 12 months, prob around 9 months to Mickey's Philarmagic and she loved it. She didn't have the glasses on of course, but loved the music.

Also, look at the parks for the play fountain areas. I know these are a big hit with my daughter now that she is mobile! MK has a great one back in Toon Town and we like the one at DD as well.

wendy*darling
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I did want to follow up on one thing - the 3D attractions (MuppetVision and Mickey's Philharmagic). How does a child so little, under 2 years old, do with those??

Most kids that young do not want to put the glasses on- and that's just fine.
Remember in any attraction, or even just wandering around the parks- your toddler is not going to get the same things out of any experience as you will. That doesn't make it bad- just different. So if they don't see the 3D images, or shoot the laser guns in Buzz- no problem. There are lots of sights and sounds that will fascinate them.
And they won't remember anything at all about this trip in years to come- but take a ton of photos and they will have blast looking at them as they grow up!

wire0monkey
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Here's what I took a 18 month old on last year and his reactions:

Epcot
Rio de Tiempo (cool)
Maelstrom (cool)
Turtle Talk with Crush (cool)
The Seas pavilion and fish tanks (cool)
Living with the Land(cool)
American Experience (boring!)
all of the street shows (very cool! Loved the taiko drummers)

Magic Kingdom
Pooh (cool)
It's a Small World (cool)
carrousel (boring)
Haunted Mansion (cool; not scared at all)
Tom Sawyer's Island (cool)
Country Bear Jamboree (cool)
Tiki Room (boring)
Swiss Family Treehouse (cool)
Magic Carpets of Aladdin (cool)
Jungle Cruise (cool)
Pirates of the Carribean (cool; not scared at all, even though it's loud in there)
Tommorrowland Transit Authority (cool)
Buzz Lightyear (cool, but a little overwhelmed by the noise and activity)
Pooh's playground (cool)

Disney Studios
Playhouse Disney Live! (Absolutely rocked out! It was his favorite part of the trip.)
Muppetvision 3d (boring)
Great Movie Ride (liked it. His older brother freaked out, though.)
Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground (cool)

Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris (cool)
Pagani Forest Trail (cool)
Maharaja Jungle Trek (cool)
Flights of Wonder (boring)
the Boneyard (cool)
Triceratops Spin (cool)
African drum show (cool)
Animal encounters and cms with animals (cool)

skisurf2
04-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow, thank you everyone. You always remind me what a great site this is.

Bear Lee
04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I think if you follow wire0monkey's list you will have a great time. :)