PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion of MVMCP.

LoriMistress
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm planning to go to MVMCP on Dec 11th and 18th. I'm curious to anyone who's been, when, and your experience (things you did, wish you did, pros, cons, etc.) Please share and educate us with your wisdom.:santa3: :santa:

SurferStitch
04-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow LoriMistress...

DH and I are staying at Pop from 12/6 - 12/17, too! We're also thinking about going to MVMCP on the 11th. Cool!

MVMCP is a lot of fun. We've gone twice now, and can't wait to go again. The parade and fireworks are wonderful, and we love the snow on Main Street.

We have dinner in the MK around 5:00 pm (LTT last year, and probably this year again). That way you get out in plenty of time to start enjoying the festivities. Ride lines are either minimal or non-existent...that's why we always do the parties on a week night.

Last year there was no limit to the hot chocolate, hot apple cider and cookies. We only got them twice, but you could have gone to the stands as many times as you liked.

There are some unique photo ops, so be on the lookout for them. The CM's tried to get us to only put the photos we had taken on special MVMCP Photopass cards, but we were also able to get them on our regular Photopass cards, so we didn't have to purchase separate prints. They were included in the CD we ordered. Most CM's were happy to do it, a couple gave us a hard time, but still did it for us anyway.

Have a great trip....I know we will!!

faline
04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I've gone several times and would go again!

Be sure to see the holiday parade and the special edition of the fireworks! Don't miss the snow on Main Street or the wonderful holiday show at the Castle!

avantgardeinker
04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
We love MVMCP. We go every year. However, don't go on a weekend. They sell more tickets to the weekend parties and the crowds are not as light as you would expect. There are shows that you don't get to see any other times in the day and the parade is wonderful!! Lines to the rides that are open are very small. The hot chocolate and cookies are very good. Be sure and get different poses on your comp photo. Every ticket gets a picture.

227 more days:santa:

Goes4FastPass
04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I can't imagine going twice in a week.

Plusses:
We enjoyed the parade - the wooden soldiers are still the best thing.
2. Ride lines were short - but it was the week BEFORE Chirstmas week and lines were short anyway.

Minuses:
1. Additional cost. All decorations throughout WDW including the MK are in place without buying a separate ticket.
2. No 'free' photos anymore.
3. Other WDW Christmas programs (Candlelight Processional) are no additional cost.
4. When it rains you're stuck. You can't put your ticket back in your pocket and come back. The night we attended it rained and rained all evening.

Marilyn Michetti
04-23-2007, 12:17 PM
It was soooooo much fun the last two years. DH says "let's not, this year". It is a pretty expensive extra, but we'll see?????

If you've never done it, please treat yourself. That's one evening you can call magical.:cloud9:

Disney4
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
MVMCP is a must-do at least once.

It is expensive and we also got stuck in the rain. However, the shows were cute and I would have felt slighted if we did not go.

I didn't know that the free pictures were discontinued though. That was a fairly big perk.

The pricing is in-line with any other event or activity that you might undertake at WDW, so enjoy! :thumbsup:

castlegirl
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
We loved the parade. It was DH's birthday that day and he had on his birthday button. Santa :santa2: called out and waved from atop his sleigh, "Happy Birthday, young man!" It was the highlight of MY trip!

If you have young children, my suggestion would be to not visit a park the same day you go to MVMCP. We toured MK that day, left for dinner, and then returned for MVMCP. Our DD4 fell asleep before the parade ever started. She slept through the whole thing! We should have shopped, napped, swam and saved a park ticket and just gone to MVMCP that day. Just my :twocents:

LoriMistress
04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Wow LoriMistress...

DH and I are staying at Pop from 12/6 - 12/17, too! We're also thinking about going to MVMCP on the 11th. Cool!

MVMCP is a lot of fun. We've gone twice now, and can't wait to go again. The parade and fireworks are wonderful, and we love the snow on Main Street.

We have dinner in the MK around 5:00 pm (LTT last year, and probably this year again). That way you get out in plenty of time to start enjoying the festivities. Ride lines are either minimal or non-existent...that's why we always do the parties on a week night.

Last year there was no limit to the hot chocolate, hot apple cider and cookies. We only got them twice, but you could have gone to the stands as many times as you liked.

There are some unique photo ops, so be on the lookout for them. The CM's tried to get us to only put the photos we had taken on special MVMCP Photopass cards, but we were also able to get them on our regular Photopass cards, so we didn't have to purchase separate prints. They were included in the CD we ordered. Most CM's were happy to do it, a couple gave us a hard time, but still did it for us anyway.

Awesome! I can't wait! Maybe we'll run into each other at POP! We'll have to find a way to identify ourselves without looking stalkerish.

Here we go again...
04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Wow LoriMistress...

FYI....
When you purchase your CD you can give them all of your cards, including the MVMCP photo pass card and get ALL photos on 1 CD for the same price!
We were able to do this in November and we were very happy. We got some great shots and used 2 of the Photo Pass shots for our Christmas Cards.

You will love the Christmas Party. Depending on the day of the week it can get a little crowded. Nothing close to how crowded it is during the day. Everyone lines up for the parade early so make sure to find a good spot. The first time we went we waited until the last minute and got a pretty good view... this past November we sat on Main Street and had an amazing view. AND, we had the snow through the whole parade.
As everyone else said, there were no lines for the rides, but we did not ride much. There is too much to see and do.
And don't forget to save some money to do some Christmas Party shopping! You will find lots of items only sold during the party. They have different trading pins for each night of the party too.

LoriMistress
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
FYI....
When you purchase your CD you can give them all of your cards, including the MVMCP photo pass card and get ALL photos on 1 CD for the same price!
We were able to do this in November and we were very happy. We got some great shots and used 2 of the Photo Pass shots for our Christmas Cards.

You will love the Christmas Party. Depending on the day of the week it can get a little crowded. Nothing close to how crowded it is during the day. Everyone lines up for the parade early so make sure to find a good spot. The first time we went we waited until the last minute and got a pretty good view... this past November we sat on Main Street and had an amazing view. AND, we had the snow through the whole parade.
As everyone else said, there were no lines for the rides, but we did not ride much. There is too much to see and do.
And don't forget to save some money to do some Christmas Party shopping! You will find lots of items only sold during the party. They have different trading pins for each night of the party too.

Sweet.

alilprincessmom
04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
MVMCP is well worth the extra that you pay for it! The parade and fireworks alone are worth the extra, so definately don't miss those! The snow on Main Street and the Castle show are a do not miss as well. Don't miss out on all the wonderful photo ops, because there are a quite a few great ones! You won't want to forget to at least stop at one stand and get hot chocolate and cookies, they are great! Most of all, since you seem to be going twice, take full advantage of the short ride lines, because most times, lines are non existent!

Chic-a-pin
04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
We'll be there on the 11th too!! :mickey:

Bringonthemouse!
04-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Wow LoriMistress...

Wow, us too. We will be at Pop from 12/5 to 12/16 and planning on going to MVMCP on the 11th as well!!! I'm so glad most of the feedback is positive!

Christine
04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I really enjoyed MVMCP. We did it one night, then liked it so much we bought tickets for another night during our Dec. '04 trip.
Now that I have done MNSSHP I must say I like that even better, but that is not to say MVMCP is not good. Just different.

I think everyone should try it once.

Magic Smiles
04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
We are planning on attending on the 11th also. I had also been thinking whether it would be worth going twice since we will be in WDW from the 5 - 21 Dec 07. I know that I want to video tape the parade and I have been known to take a few thousand photos while in Disney. Since I can't do both at once and DH is not good at all with the camera, would it be worth it to attend MVMCP twice? There is a good chance that this may be our only trip during the Christmas season as DH and DS are hooked on the Apr/May timeframe.

dixielandings
04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
We went last November, on a Monday night, to the first party of the year. We loved it. The parade and Christmas Wishes were awesome - I cried. And the show we saw was at the Galaxy Theatre in Tomorrowland. I can't remember the name of it but it was really good. We had our photo made by one of the PhotoPass CMs with our camera and used it for our Christmas card - Castle in background! :mickey:

The one drawback is that it was not cold. And we were in sweaters. For our Christmas card photo. Oh well...

SurferStitch
04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Awesome! I can't wait! Maybe we'll run into each other at POP! We'll have to find a way to identify ourselves without looking stalkerish.

I'll be the grown woman carrying a plush Stitch backpack. He'll either be wearing a Santa hat, an elf costume, or German lederhosen (I'm getting a couple outfits from Build-a-Bear). Trust me....you won't miss him! :stitch2:

I may also have a bright green plush Mike Wazowski backpack on MGM days.

SurferStitch
04-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow, us too. We will be at Pop from 12/5 to 12/16 and planning on going to MVMCP on the 11th as well!!! I'm so glad most of the feedback is positive!

Cool!!! :thumbsup:

Since you'll be there a day before us, make sure the weather is sunny and beautiful for when we get there (and the next 11 days). I'm leaving you in charge of that.

Bringonthemouse!
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Since you'll be there a day before us, make sure the weather is sunny and beautiful for when we get there (and the next 11 days). I'm leaving you in charge of that.

I was planning on bringing down some of our wonderful Canadian holiday weather. Maybe I'll rethink that! :thumbsup:
(Only 222 more sleeps!)
:mickey:

lyle21
04-25-2007, 01:27 PM
we always do MVMCP and we always love it. lots of advantages have already been mentioned, but i want to reiterate just how cool the castle show is. now i am not one for shows or parades or anything involving groups, but this castle show was one of the most magical experiences ever (that and seeing everyone stop and gasp in the MK as the space shuttle launched.)

the crowd stands quiet, so quiet you can hear a pin drop, as a beautiful display lights up the castle. not to be missed.

Granny Jill A
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I've only been once, and it was not all that great. The day before we went, there was a huge thunderstorm. We were told that everyone who had tickets to MVMCP were given "rain checks" to come back the next evening.

MK was PACKED with ticket-holders for that day, PLUS the spill-over from the day before.

Cast Members were super-grouchy at the photo locations, and they ran out of hot chocolate and cookies.

I would love to give it another chance, but my first time was not magical.

LoriMistress
04-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I'll be the grown woman carrying a plush Stitch backpack. He'll either be wearing a Santa hat, an elf costume, or German lederhosen (I'm getting a couple outfits from Build-a-Bear). Trust me....you won't miss him! :stitch2:

I may also have a bright green plush Mike Wazowski backpack on MGM days.

Tight. I'll send you a picture of myself and DH so you know what we'll look like. DH has been told by people (not nessisary what he wants to hear), that he looks like Harry Potter. It's a touchy subject of his. :secret: I've been told I look like Meg Griffen (from Family Guy.) I'll most likely be wearing a black Tinkerbelle hoodie. And I'll be caring a WDW backpack (not like those arn't hundreds of those floating around the resorts. :laughing:

Mickeydream
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
We'll be visiting WDW 11/21-12/1 (staying at POP) and plan to attend MVMCP on 11/30. It will be our first time for the event and we are very excited. We are looking forward to all the magic of the night and appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like a wonderful time!! :mickey:

LoriMistress
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I've only been once, and it was not all that great. The day before we went, there was a huge thunderstorm. We were told that everyone who had tickets to MVMCP were given "rain checks" to come back the next evening.

MK was PACKED with ticket-holders for that day, PLUS the spill-over from the day before.

Cast Members were super-grouchy at the photo locations, and they ran out of hot chocolate and cookies.

I would love to give it another chance, but my first time was not magical.

Sorry that you had a horrible time there. Maybe further down the road, you can give MVMCP another try.

bellerose
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
A definate must do!! I have been twice in the past three years and am going again this year. You have to see the snow on Main Street and the fireworks, they are fantastic!! It gets me in the Christmas mood so much that when I didn't go last year, it felt like I was missing something. (I went for Halloween instead and went to MNSSHP...good but not as good as MVMCP.) Really worth the extra cost!!:pixie:

Matt's Dad
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Went last year (actually have the pic up on my computer screen as the background) - Yes it was THAT cool.

Some advice:
Parade was beyond awsome ... longer, more interaction ... just cool.
The fireworks were also not to be missed. The biggest advantage was the small crowds allowed us to set up camp in front of the castle about 15 minutes before they started (try doing that on a normal night). Great display, and really cool seeing the castle framed by the fireworks (same angles they show on postcards and TV).
The Dance Parties - 2 of them, they were average at best. My younger son liked them, but I would rate these as a "stop by when you have a chance" event, rather than a scheduled must see.
The Night Before Christmas show in Tomorrow Land - Only caught part of it, but it looked great (musical production, characters and 5-10 singers / dancers) much more than Mickey reading the story from a book.
Hot Chocolate and Cookies - Good, nice idea, plenty of locations (don't worry if the first line is long early in the evening .... they served all night and from many spots, so there were plenty of opportunities). Also, they had Apple Juice and Apple Slices at the locations for kids (or adults) with special diet needs - Disney sooo rocks on that sort of thing.

One more thing ... we took down two Santa Hats with Mickey Ears .... kids weren't sure at first .... but 30 minutes in they wouldn't take them off .... lots of comments, thumbs ups, interactions with CMs over them ..... good idea.

Lines for all rides were short (funny, commented this is how Disney should be all the time). Only back up came in Mickey Toon Town for the pic with Mic chance (around 20 minutes) ... but at least the pics came out good.

Would I recommend it? YES. But take the morning off .... swim, shop, lounge around .... grab a good meal in the late PM (3:00 or so at the Poly maybe), and then head over the th MK around 4:30 and have a blast.

SurferStitch
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Tight. I'll send you a picture of myself and DH so you know what we'll look like. DH has been told by people (not nessisary what he wants to hear), that he looks like Harry Potter. It's a touchy subject of his. :secret: I've been told I look like Meg Griffen (from Family Guy.) I'll most likely be wearing a black Tinkerbelle hoodie. And I'll be caring a WDW backpack (not like those arn't hundreds of those floating around the resorts. :laughing:

Excellent. If I remember (and I'm not being rude....things tend to fly out of my brain sometimes), I'll send you a pic of us. DH likes to shave his head, and when he does he looks kind of like Morris O'Brian from 24. Honestly, I don't know who I look like. I do like to have coordinating jewelry and outfits to go to the parks, along with full hair and make-up, if that helps pick me out of the crowd. :blush:

And, what's wrong with looking like Harry Potter? I think he's kind of cute! :secret:

angedeaile
04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Wow..some folks that will be not only be visiting DW when we are, but also staying at POP.

It's a small small world.

Anywho, after reading this thread, I can't wait for MVMCP!~ Waiting for the tickets to go on sale is killing me!

We plan on attending Tuesday, Dec. 18th...our last night there. Hopefully nothing like storms happen and they cancel.

I think I would cry.

LoriMistress
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Excellent. If I remember (and I'm not being rude....things tend to fly out of my brain sometimes), I'll send you a pic of us. DH likes to shave his head, and when he does he looks kind of like Morris O'Brian from 24. Honestly, I don't know who I look like. I do like to have coordinating jewelry and outfits to go to the parks, along with full hair and make-up, if that helps pick me out of the crowd. :blush:

And, what's wrong with looking like Harry Potter? I think he's kind of cute! :secret:

My DH doesn't like to look at himself as a twelve year old british boy. LOL

LoriMistress
04-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Wow..some folks that will be not only be visiting DW when we are, but also staying at POP.

It's a small small world.

Anywho, after reading this thread, I can't wait for MVMCP!~ Waiting for the tickets to go on sale is killing me!

We plan on attending Tuesday, Dec. 18th...our last night there. Hopefully nothing like storms happen and they cancel.

I think I would cry.

When are you going to WDW?

ktflisa
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
DH and I have been to both the halloween and Christmas parties a couple of times each and love them both. No kids - we get to be the kids. We avoid toon town - that is always the most crowded. After the first parade it's safe to go to fantasyland, usually. The parades are awesome and the fireworks even more!!!

We used the special Christmas Party photo pass this last time. You are supposed to get one photo at half off instead of the freebies they used to do. Welllllll.... I got ALL photos at half off! I combined the cards on line and when I ordered I guess it picked my Christmas photo pass # and all of them were half off! (I ordered at least one from all the parks)

Oh - and during Christmas YOU CANNOT MISS THE OSBOURNE FAMILY LIGHTS at MGM. Amazing Amazing Amazing.

We like the parties for many reasons - the atmosphere, the low crowds (agreed - only on week nights) and the fact that we can stay at MAGIC KINGDOM til midnight! We always go in the off season so the hours are limited...

tigger24601
04-27-2007, 12:52 AM
i must say that being at disney during the Christmas season is awesome to begin with but those few hours that they set aside to do things a little different are amazing. dh and i have been twice in the last 3 years as well, we missed last year due to having a new baby, and we will be back this year with our, then, 15 month old ds, my mother, and a really close family friend (ds' godmother). just seeing everything lit up and the snow blowing is great. so worth the extra money. we will be going nov. 25th-28th and doing the party on the 26th (i think that was the date).

i do have to agree with the other posts do take time to see osbourne's festival of lights. dh and i got to mgm 30 minutes before it closed one night. the bus driver thought it was odd that we wanted to go there since we wouldn't have long but once we said it was only to see the lights he understood completely.

i haven't had the opportunity to see the candlelight proccessional but dm has made us promise to make time for it one night.

but in the end we really go this time of year just so we get to go to the christmas party.

Caroleh
04-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I've been reading all this info, soaking it up like a sponge, since this will be my first time to go to MVMCP. It sounds like a great way to celebrate my birthday!!!! (This is the point I say is it Dec. yet...but am I suppose to hurrying my 50th? I thought I was suppose to be getting depressed about being old!!!! I refuse to grow old!!!)

Septbride2002
04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I liked the MVMCP and it was fun to do once, but that was about it. The parade is fun and definatly worth seeing and the fireworks were the highlight of the event. But everything else was really no different then going through MK before the event. The cookies and hot chocolate while fun didn't really make up for the cost of the event. And the lines were pretty short the entire time anyway. I guess I just didn't feel like the money I spent was worth the experience.

~Amanda

angedeaile
04-27-2007, 04:12 PM
When are you going to WDW?
Dec. 14th-Dec. 19th :number1:

TINKERBELL_82
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
DH2B and I were so excited to go last year, after reading everything on intercot. We bought the tickets (about $60 each) and we were very dissapointed. There really isn't too much different from any normal night, aside from the parade and fireworks. They give away free hot chocolate and cookies... but thats it. The only part of the park that is decorated is Main Street.

Once we got past main street and the "snow" (Which, btw is not really snow, its soap) the MK looked just like it always does. We decided that we wouldn't pay all that money again, since we have AP's and can go whenever.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
The MVMCP is a beautiful event!!!!!! My husband and I will be headed to Disney from November 7th thru November 17th...We'll be attending the party on Nov. 12th for the first day of the MVMCP !!! We'll be celebrating our ten year anniversary while at Disney which will be a belated gift. Our actual anniv. date is October 18th.....6 months and a few days to go.... :santa: :snowman: :santa3:

PS> I wanted to say Hi to my friend--------SURFER STITCH.... See you soon..looking forward to the concert...M and K say Hi to both you ( J ) and M:stitch2:

Aggie97
05-01-2007, 12:11 AM
We've been to MVMCP a couple of times, most recently this past December. We went on a Tuesday night, which I heard was much less crowded that the weekend dates. The weather was great that night, so we were lucky.

We definitely enjoyed it -- I think the parade is cute, but the fireworks are truly fantastic!! They are more elaborate than the Christmas Wishes fireworks that they do on other non-MVMCP nights around Christmas.

The place really cleared out after the first parade; a couple of CMs commented that it often does for the parties. To that end, we found significantly smaller crowds for the second parade.

We stayed until closing and experienced short lines for character photos and rides after the second parade. They had several characters set up at "Donald's Tree Farm" in Fantasyland (we felt lucky to get a great Christmas picture with Belle and the Beast!:)) We did combine our MVMCP photos with our regular PhotoPass photos at the end of the trip and purchased one CD with all photos.

The Mickey's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas show in Tomorrowland was great. Get there EARLY to get a seat.

If you collect pins, keep in mind that there are several MVMCP pins, and not all merchandise locations had the full selection of them.

Have fun!

SurferStitch
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
PS> I wanted to say Hi to my friend--------SURFER STITCH.... See you soon..looking forward to the concert...M and K say Hi to both you ( J ) and M:stitch2:

:hi: :here:

:rocker: , :tikki:bars, and a whole lotta :heart: (You should know what song I'm referencing here!)

Oh yeah...and a whole lotta :marg:, too!! Can't wait!!!

"SULLEY "RULES!!
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Great message SURFER STITCH!!!!!!!:stitch: I know the song you were talking about, love it!!! The concert is going to rock, see you soon. By the way, I just ordered my MVMCP tickets tonight for November 12th, yeah!!!!!!!!! It should be a wonderful night!!!:santa2:

dolphinmickey9170
05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
We are going for our first christmas trip 12/15-12/21. After reading everyone's threads, it surely sounds like we are going to have a blast; going 12/18 with DVC discount!! Called today at 0730, waited 25 minutes, but it was worth it to wait. I am so excited. We will be taking our DGD, 1, hopefully she has a great time too.
Only 226 days til we leave for the world? Hope everyone has a great time, hope to see you:santa3: :tree: :santa3: there!!!

GrmGrninGost
05-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Went to MVMCP Dec. 06 for first time! Very impressed!!:mickey: Loved special fireworks and parade! Snow on main street is cool! Hot chocolate was the best. And the cookies? YUM!
YUM! There are also meet and greets with characters you don't see very often. Last, but not least, don't miss the shows! They are awesome!:thumbsup: