PDA

View Full Version : Solo Trip -- Ideas?

tinktude
04-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I am going to WDW for a me trip in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do for a solo traveler?

I told the DH that I need to get away for a few days. Work is making me crazy, and there is no time for me to relax even if I just took the days off work and stayed home. There is always something going on and someone always needs to go somewhere. Slowly working on an ulcer need to de-stress.

What are the crowds in mid may?

NLODisney
04-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself in a few weeks. I have gone before solo and I love being able to do whatever I feel like and eat whenever and whatever I want to. I like that I am able to spend more time shopping and just doing things at a more relaxed pace. It's alot easier getting through the parks as a solo than a whole family. Check out the single rider lines where they are available to save some time. People watching is fun as well and don't hesitate to eat where you want to. Disney will make you feel very comfortable doing this. Hope you are able to relax and have a great trip.

iluvdizney2
04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I am also going in a couple of weeks for a mom break. Granted my 21 yr old son is going to, but it is more for my safety (I have health problems) than for anything else. I will be doing things as a solo person, except for a few meals we have planned on together. I have gone alone before and I do enjoy the leisure stroll around epcot really getting to see the countries. It is amazing to realize that the stores have more than just toys, and meals consist of more than just cutting up food for another mouth.
When I have gone alone, I find I hear so much more. I get to actually HEAR the main st music, and the music through the different sections of the park. I will warn you though...as a mom, I find myself sayin "O I wish (insert name) could see this...." But after a long day just doing what you need to clear your head, you have real peace...and you will be a better mom for it.
Go to a few places to eat that you cant do with a family due to cost. Check them out and then next time you will know if it is worth it for the whole family. Resort hop!! Go check out the stores and lobbies of different resorts.
And dont forget one major important thing....get autographs too!...so what if an adult stands in line without a child, DIsney is Disney, and we ARE allowed to do that!
Enjoy your time alone!! Sounds to me like there are a lot of ALONE people going to Disney in May!!

glenpreece
04-22-2007, 05:25 PM
I love going solo. Be sure to take a tour. They are fun and informative. It's great way to talk to fellow Disney lovers. The guides make everyone feel comfortable together. I love to shop when I go. So I spend tons of time at DTD. I bring a book and head over to the Beach club and watch Illuminations from beach while I read. Going solo is as much fun as you make it.

faline
04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Mid May is a great time to visit! The Flower & Garden show is in full swing. If you enjoy gardening, take in one (or more) of the free lectures that are part of this event!

Be sure to tour all the beautiful gardens!

mdricks
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Ahhh solo trips! :cloud9:

Ill be there the week after you. I'm trying to go on a solo every year. This will be year #3. I cant tell you how therapeutic they are although my approach may be very different from what you are looking for. I'm a park commando type and I'm there to be the first in and last out each day. My solo's are great fun but they are hardly relaxing.

One of these days I'm going to do a relaxing trip (it sounds like your looking for). Try the spa at the Grand Floridian. They have a number of packages there that look very enticing. Afterwards a nice leisurely dinner at Narcossee's, watch the fireworks....

I always get great ideas from looking at the trip reports over in that forum. Run a search for solo and more than a few will come up. I'm doing the segway tour this year and it should be a lot of fun. Also, if you think you might like it, try the Biergarten in Epcot. The seating is family style 10(12?) to a table. I get there every solo trip and meet a lot of really fun people. That way you don't have to eat by yourself.

Another thing I do every year is order a nice cold black-n-tan outside of the Rose and Crown. Then I sit on that little bench next to the R&C and watch the world go by. Either I look very friendly or that is a hot spot but I have met a large number of people who just plop down next to me and start up a converstaion. Met a really neat guy from Ireland whos wife and kids pooped out on him so he hit the parks solo for a day, met a neat couple from Japan and even a couple from Missouri.

I have started going to values on my solos because the only thing I miss is the coffee maker. I don’t spend any time at all in my room or at the resort. Beyond that its a bed. When I take my hypothetical Relaxing solo I will stay at a deluxe and hang by the pool.

Nonetheless, you will miss your family (a little) but you will get to do what you want, when you want, without anybody distracting you. It is a great way to see the world.

:number1:

tinktude
04-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Where in Mo are you from? I am looking forward to just leisurely strolling through Epcot, and Animal Kingdom.
There are so many things that I never get to when I am there with the family that I am going to try this time.

JENNEB
04-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I've done the solo trips before and I must say I love them. I usually do at least 1 character meal. The characters give you as much attention as you want. I have gotten a few looks from CM's when I say 1, for a ride, but most of the time, I love not having to make sure everybody else is having a good time. On my last solo trip, I met some people from home and they invited to join them on an illuminations cruise - they had a single spot left. And I met up with some fellow intercotees for breakfast at the Main Street bakery - all because I went out of the way to be friendly and talk to complete strangers.
So I say go - talk to people while you wait in line, and have fun.

Bruegge
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Wait till the end of May and you can babysit my 3yo while I ride the "biggies"

Just kidding have fun....

Scott
P.S. from what I've read the single rider line for the big rides saves a lot of time....FYI

mdricks
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
St. Louis! I can think of nowhere better to leisurely stroll away an afternoon than Epcot. When you are on the run with your family you don't stop to see all of the really cool extras in the world showcase. There are all kinds of things to see. I particularly like the guys with the chairs in France or the comedians in Italy. 23 days to go!!!

:number1:

Bruegge
04-24-2007, 01:56 PM
St. Louis!
:

St louis..Nice town..wife did her pre-med at Wash U... Is Candichie's (sp?) restaurant still in Clayton??

. That Gateway Arch is a clostrophobic thrill ride LOL

Scott

mdricks
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM
And i see you took the Football Cardnials with you when you left! You can have 'em. :D

The restuarnt is still open, a good replacement for Epcot's italy if you ask me.

The arch is defintly e-ticket.