PDA

View Full Version : Disney Rumor Reignited

elorac
04-21-2007, 07:08 PM
If anyone is interested, this article ran in the newspaper today in Springfield, Missouri. This would be great, but of course, I'm not holding my breath!

Disney rumor reignited
Newton County officials told of possible theme park plans.

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

A request for road improvements for a $1.1 billion theme park in Newton County has led to new speculation about the Walt Disney Co.'s interest in southwest Missouri. Rumors that a Disney attraction was coming to Branson were rampant in the mid-1990s. Now, Newton County Commissioners are investigating whether Disney could be linked to a theme park proposal made earlier this month. Jerry Carter, Newton County Presiding Commissioner, said the notion arose after Todd Marshall, who said he represented a Springfield company called ARM Risk, attended the April 12 commissioners' meeting. Carter asked about changes on county roads leading to the location the company is considering for a theme park.
A list of specifications Marshall gave the commissioners included first-phase construction costs of $1.1 billion, land purchases of 1,000 acres with the park taking 100 acres, six hotels, 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages and 18 restaurants.
A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms. The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla. On the Internet, commissioners found that the Burbank address is corporate headquarters of the Walt Disney Co. Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is headquarters of Walt Disney World Resort. Officials at Disney headquarters in Burbank said the company would not comment on the matter.

wrfd18
04-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Just saw something on the St. Louis Fox news about the above post.:secret:

cetacean01
04-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Remember in the early 90's Disney tried to build Disneys "America" theme park here in Virginia. It was going to be in northern VA near the civil war battlefields. It gets mighty cold there in the winter and all of our parks are seasonal.Long story short, the people went beserk and forced Disney out of the area so that their property values wouldn't decrease during the construction phases (one of the richest neighborhoods in the country up there). When it didn't happen ,Eisner took those resources and created Disney theatrical productions instead.
So............ Disney has announced lately that it was interested in new developments like Niche parks and resorts. I think at this point in the game, and with their history with the America park, anything can happen almost anywhere. :mickey:

elorac
04-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Something else to consider, land is very inexpensive in southwest Missouri and this area is considered the geographic center of the continental U.S.

Well, I can always hope...:cloud9:

Marker
04-21-2007, 11:51 PM
The Kansas City news was reporting the Branson story. If it's not Disney, it'll be interesting to see who it is.

1000 acres is a pretty good size piece of land.

DarbyB
04-22-2007, 12:47 AM
A request for road improvements for a $1.1 billion theme park in Newton County has led to new speculation about the Walt Disney Co.'s interest in southwest Missouri.
Rumors that a Disney attraction was coming to Branson were rampant in the mid-1990s. Now, Newton County Commissioners are investigating whether Disney could be linked to a theme park proposal made earlier this month.

Jerry Carter, Newton County Presiding Commissioner, said the notion arose after Todd Marshall, who said he represented a Springfield company called ARM Risk, attended the April 12 commissioners' meeting. Carter asked about changes on county roads leading to the location the company is considering for a theme park.
A list of specifications Marshall gave the commissioners included first-phase construction costs of $1.1 billion, land purchases of 1,000 acres with the park taking 100 acres, six hotels, 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages and 18 restaurants.
"We want to be cautious and careful," Carter said. "We live in an opportunistic world and sometimes things come along we can't even conceive of."
A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms.
The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
On the Internet, commissioners found that the Burbank address is corporate headquarters of the Walt Disney Co. Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is headquarters of Walt Disney World Resort.
Officials at Disney headquarters in Burbank said the company would not comment on the matter.
The secretary of state's office has only an administrative role in filing business registrations, said communications assistant Ryan Hobart.
When someone signs the registration, he or she is legally bound to give correct information, Hobart said.
ARM Risk's address is listed as 1926 S. Glenstone Ave., Suite 353, Springfield, on the registration.
Todd Marshall could not be reached for comment. No phone listing could be obtained for ARM Risk.
Carter, who is 71, is a Newton County native. He said that such a project would forever change the county. The area where the company is seeking to buy land is mostly small acreage and some farms of 60 to 100 acres, Carter said. It is in the southwest quadrant of the junction of U.S. 71 and Interstate 44.
Some residents would be interested in the project, and some wouldn't, he predicted.
"We're right between two of the largest growth areas in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas, so we are becoming accustomed to shock here," Carter said. Just to the south is the Bentonville area and to the north is Joplin.
"It'll never be what it used to be."
In Branson, Herschend Family Entertainment spokes- woman Lisa Rau said they had not heard of the plans. The company owns the Silver Dollar City and Celebration City theme parks and other attractions.
Ross Summers, director of the Branson Lakes/Area Chamber of Commerce, said he also had heard of no such plans by Disney.
"These Disney rumors have floated around here for as long as I can remember," Summers said.
Developer Glenn Patch heard lots of Disney rumors after he purchased 7,000 acres of land just south of Hollister in the early '90s. His land is now the site of two golf courses, upscale homes and a commercial airport in development.
"When I was first coming here, I thought about painting a pair of black ears on my plane just for the fun of it," Patch said.

:spy:

joelkfla
04-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Seems odd that Disney would set up a sham corporation and then use their corporate address for the officers!

I think Walt & Roy were quite a bit more circumspect when they were buying up land for the Florida Project.

Ian
04-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I don't know much about the spot, but Missouri sure seems like a strange choice to me? :confused:

I mean I know Rasulo just talked about possible new themed destination resorts, but in Missouri??

I mean no offense to those from the Show Me State or anything, but when I think "vacation destination" Missouri is not the first spot that pops into my head. ;)

crazy4disneyworld
04-22-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know much about the spot, but Missouri sure seems like a strange choice to me? :confused:

I mean I know Rasulo just talked about possible new themed destination resorts, but in Missouri??

I mean no offense to those from the Show Me State or anything, but when I think "vacation destination" Missouri is not the first spot that pops into my head. ;)
Walt Disney actually considered St. Louis as the location of Disney World before deciding on Florida.

I agree with you, though, Missouri doesn't scream Vacationland to me. I also doubt that Disney will be expanding in the States in the near future because their priority right now seems to be overseas expansion.

JPL
04-22-2007, 12:05 PM
:spy:

This is the part that makes no sense to me $1.1 billion is not a lot of Construction dollars especially for the list of of what is being built. And no Disney Park has ever opened with 27 Rides.

Now if this came out ans said they were using the land for a small niche park and the much talked about franchising out of the DTD shopping areas and they are putting in one of the planned Disney Themed hotels I would say sounds reasonable. It really does seem to go against all the company has been publicly stating as their expansion plans.

I have to say this sounds like another Theme Park Company or just some people who own a bunch of land that isn't worth very much and they want to make a nice profit on it.

Sorry I'm going to borrow a little from the state and ask "Show Me More"

Marker
04-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Ok, gotta stick up for my state a little here.... actually, I think Missouri IS a wonderful vacation destination. In fact I can safely say that Missouri has been my most frequented vacation state.

Actually, it never fails to amaze me that almost every time I'm in Florida, I see TV adds for trips to Branson. Branson is definitly a huge regional destination, if not national (the Rosanne show even did an episode about going to Branson). And Branson works hard to stay "family" oriented with all of it's entertainment options, which would fit in with Disney style. So it really doesn't surprise me all that much. Although I'm not buying into the rumor.

Also, there are definitely Disney ties to Missouri, with Marceline and Kansas City, neither of which are anywhere near Branson though.

RockChalkKimball
04-22-2007, 04:14 PM
While not my favorite spot to vacation, I must say that Branson has become quite a tourist destination. Anyone who has been there in the spring or fall can attest to the HUGE crowds and traffic jams that can occur in and around Branson. While I would love to have a bit of the "magic" closer to me, I wouldn't give up my pilgrimages to "the world'.

elorac
04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
This is the part that makes no sense to me $1.1 billion is not a lot of Construction dollars especially for the list of of what is being built. And no Disney Park has ever opened with 27 Rides.

Now if this came out ans said they were using the land for a small niche park and the much talked about franchising out of the DTD shopping areas and they are putting in one of the planned Disney Themed hotels I would say sounds reasonable. It really does seem to go against all the company has been publicly stating as their expansion plans.

I have to say this sounds like another Theme Park Company or just some people who own a bunch of land that isn't worth very much and they want to make a nice profit on it.

I read this to mean that first phase construction would total 1.1 billion, not necessarily the entire project. Possibly just infrastructure and buying property to begin with and the stated number of hotels, rides, stores etc. being the end goal. Who knows how many phases this would include. Assuming this is even more that just a rumour:mickey:

No offense taken. I agree, my vacations always take place away from Missouri. However, the popularity of Branson is staggering and, I must admit, confusing to me.:confused: Not necessarily my kind of vacation but I can understand the family-oriented appeal. This coupled with the info I stated earlier about being centralized in the U.S. and the inexpensive cost of land.

Oh well, this is probably only a pipe dream...

JohnnyJayhawk
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of Branson, but there's no debate that it is a tourist destination. I would just be surprised that Disney would go someplace without a major airport nearby (or is there one I'm not aware of?).

If Disney were to go to the midwest, I'd think Kansas City would be more attractive. A recent report cited KC as having the greatest economic growth potential of any city in the country. There's a major airport. Plus, western KC is blowing up right now: there's a Nascar-type race track, minor league baseball stadium, and Schlitterbahn is in negotiations to develop a 600+ acre water park/resort complex...all in the same area.

Still, as noted above, the midwest winters make this whole idea suspect to me.

Chickie
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Just checking in on this subject. I heard the news last night, too, and I was wondering if you guys were discussing this or not.
I'm not sure what to think. I can remember a rumor about this going around about South EAST Missouri, around Ste. Genevieve. A man was buying up several farms in that area, supposedly because he knew Disney was eventually going to expand to that area. Ofcourse, that never happened...(yet).

But, I would almost think that THAT area would be more suitable since it is only about an hour south of St. Louis, which has a decent sized airport. I know Springfield has a small airport, but I'm not sure it could handle another larger "tourist" area. (But, I guess it could always expand).

I do really love the Branson area, though, if not for Branson, for the Table Rock Lake area.

I don't know...it will be interesting to see who this really is, and what will actually come of it, if anything.

elorac
04-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of Branson, but there's no debate that it is a tourist destination. I would just be surprised that Disney would go someplace without a major airport nearby (or is there one I'm not aware of?).

The area in question (Newton County, MO) is about 1 hour west of Springfield and Branson. They are expanding the Springfield-Branson National Airport with a new terminal to be completed in '08 and, I believe, future plans for additional runways.
There is also Tulsa International Airport, approx. 1 to 1½ hours away.

NotaGeek
04-23-2007, 12:00 AM
I think to be a vacation destination there really needs to be an easily accessible and major international airport ... and St. Louis doesn't really count since it's over 250 miles away. I do know that LOTS of people migrate to Branson every summer for it's pull from the country music industry, but I don't see the MAJOR amount of tourists from outside the USA making the trek to Missouri without more direct or at least more convenient air travel access, even for Disney. :shrug:

It will be interesting to see what develops. :mickey:

Marceline
04-23-2007, 12:54 AM
The "midwestern winter" doesn't hit southern Missouri nearly as hard as Northern and Central MO. The parks and attractions in Branson host very popular Christmas time festivities. The worst weather would come in Jan. and Feb. and that is the tourism off season anyways. :)

Missouri makes complete sense to me. I am a little biased of course as I am a Missourian. But so was Walt. He grew up here, got his start as an artist here, he loved Missouri!

There is a ton of stuff to do in Branson even if you aren't a country music fan, a Disney park would just wonderfully expand those options.:mickey:

elorac
04-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I think to be a vacation destination there really needs to be an easily accessible and major international airport ... and St. Louis doesn't really count since it's over 250 miles away. I do know that LOTS of people migrate to Branson every summer for it's pull from the country music industry, but I don't see the MAJOR amount of tourists from outside the USA making the trek to Missouri without more direct or at least more convenient air travel access, even for Disney. :shrug:

For people outside the US, I think the logical destination would be Disneyworld or Disneyland, being near a coast. A park built in Missouri would be more of a pull for all of us who live in mid-America, where for many it is cost prohibitive to fly across the country to vacation at Disney. Likewise, I doubt Disney in Paris was ever intended to be a major draw for Americans.:mickey:

DarbyB
04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Just wanted to say that what most people don’t know is that just about 30 min to the south is Wal-Mart country the area is booming because the Wal-Mart headquarters is in Bentonville. Every company walmart deals with has an office here. They just finished widing the highway to the south to 40 highway.
nw arkansaw has a new airport. so as far as people getting to the location easy. 2 airports fighting over traffic and expanding already. 3rd in joplin that could use some biz. Travel author Pauline Frommer in 2006 listed Branson as a "Top 10 Worldwide Holiday Destination. The site is Situated within a day’s drive of 50% of the U.S. population. Branson has 7.2 million visitors annually and growing.{Still I think that its a scam some one wants to sell some land fast and make good money on sell?

elorac
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
True, this could easily be a scam. But from reading the article, it doesn't appear that any land has been purchased yet, maybe just been earmarked.

Frog
04-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Kanakuk camps are scattered all around the area too... I could see parents spending time in parks after picking their kids up...
Could this be a venture by "Silver Dollar City" or "DollyWood"?

Marker
04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I can definitely see this project as being something intended to compete with Silver Dollar City, and to capitalize on the growing popularity of Branson coupled with, as someone mentioned, the current economic growth brought on by WalMart in Bentonville.

Whether it's Disney or not, who knows.

But now on the other side, I'm not sure I'd be all that thrilled with the idea. The effect that something like this would have on the area does not necessarily appeal to me. I'm not sure I'd want millions more people getting in my way when I visit southern Missouri. I want going to the lake to be a quieter, more peaceful experience. Actually, in my opinion, it may already be too touristy the way it is now. I'm not really much of a Branson fan myself, but I'm a definite fan af the beautiful lakes, and state parks in "them thar hills". Something like Disney would have a dramatic effect on all of that.

Figment!
04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
As far as the "niche park" speculation, I don't think it applies to a wholly new resort. So far, the model for these parks have been to siphon Guests off of an established Resort for a one or half day diversion. I'm not sure that a whole resort could be built around a park where a limited number of Guests are allowed in.

Furthermore, the "proposal" implies something too large for a niche park.

mdricks
04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Well if half of the people who presently go to Branson on vacation go to a new park it will be within striking distance of the top ten in park attendance based on 2006 figures.....

Jasper
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM

Actually, we have vacationed in Missouri many times over the years! And yes, there is much more to Missouri than just St. Louis and Branson. In fact, we have never been to Branson. However, we have been to the Ozark mountains, Lake of the Ozarks and many other great places in Missouri. The reason people who haven't been there don't think of Missouri as a destination is just that, they haven't been there! Also, it is a very different kind of vacation from the typical tourist spots. When you do Missouri you find lots of peaceful, relaxed places as opposed to the hustle and bustle of most typical tourist spots.

And no, I am not in any way tied to Missouri, this is just the ranting of someone who loves the rural nature of so much of Missouri.

Jasper
04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
I was so busy praising Missouri in my last post I forgot to mention my thoughts about a Disney park going in there. First of all, like everyone else I will take the Missouri motto of "show me" to heart on this matter just like everyone else. When I see a formal announcement from Disney then I will believe it.

As for all of you who are saying that Disney won't go to this location because of no infrastructure or because the population base is too small, I would advise you to take a look at the Orlando area, before Walt the property there. All of the news media of the day made the exact same arguments you all are making and predicted Disney's failure in that location as a result.

As for the winters, think about the park outside Paris, France. The environment there is very similar to southern Missouri in the winter time. Disney has found ways to work around the weather there and I am sure if they decide to go into Missouri they will do the same.

My point is this, Disney has the financial clout to create whatever environment they want and local and state governments are only too willing to help in order to get the economic fallout a Disney park brings in. If Disney could take a place that was called "a sleepy little cow town" in central Florida and turn it into the worlds largest vacation destination there is no reason to think that they can't continue to do that exact same thing in other locations.

Steve Brown
04-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Just wanted to say that what most people don’t know is that just about 30 min to the south is Wal-Mart country the area is booming because the Wal-Mart headquarters is in Bentonville. Every company walmart deals with has an office here. They just finished widing the highway to the south to 40 highway.
nw arkansaw has a new airport. so as far as people getting to the location easy. 2 airports fighting over traffic and expanding already. 3rd in joplin that could use some biz. Travel author Pauline Frommer in 2006 listed Branson as a "Top 10 Worldwide Holiday Destination. The site is Situated within a day’s drive of 50% of the U.S. population. Branson has 7.2 million visitors annually and growing.{Still I think that its a scam some one wants to sell some land fast and make good money on sell?

Just to clarify, Bentonville, AR is still 2 hours away from Branson and there are no good highways getting there. Springfield, MO is a much larger town. I used to live in both places.

I am not getting my hopes up, but the thought of Disney coming to SW Missouri sounds great.

BrerEmma
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Maybe it is because Walt lived in Marceline, Mo. does that have anything to do with it? How for is Marceline from Branson?:confused: :confused:

elorac
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Maybe it is because Walt lived in Marceline, Mo. does that have anything to do with it? How for is Marceline from Branson?:confused: :confused:

Marceline is in northern Missouri, a couple of hours from Branson. However, Branson is in Taney County and the rumour for a new park implies it will be in Newton County, at least an hour west of Branson.

momof3+twins
04-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Branson is extremely popular. I think it makes sense. Yeah, it isn't Florida. But, there are a ton of neat attractions there. Plus, a 4 hour drive!!! Yeah!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WDWizard
04-24-2007, 01:00 AM
six hotels, 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages and 18 restaurants

:laughing: When I first read this I thought it was a joke. This is obviously a made up story. Every once in a while one of these 'they are building a Disneyland in my back yard' stories comes out.

Grizz16
04-24-2007, 05:16 AM
I once heard a rumor about Disney and Nashville, TN. I wish that were true.

Aurora
04-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry, everyone. This ran today.

Rumored Disney park 'shenanigans'

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

Neosho — People in rural Newton County will have to forget, at least for now, the prospect of selling their land for big bucks to the Walt Disney Co.

After rumors flew last week that Disney was planning to build a $1.1 billion theme park in the area, Presiding Commissioner Jerry Carter got the word Monday that, as he put it, it's "shenanigans."

"I just talked to the vice president of public affairs for Disney, and she said there's nothing to it," Carter said.

Carter said Disney officials didn't recognize the names of any of the three owners of ARM Risk, the company supposedly working to assemble the 1,000 acres of land.

"(Disney) can say absolutely that they're not involved in Newton County or in southwest Missouri," Carter said.

Two weeks ago, Todd Marshall, who said he represented ARM Risk, attended a Board of Commissioners meeting to ask about making changes to rural roads leading to the site of a planned theme park. Marshall did not identify who would develop such a park. But when commissioners checked addresses on ARM Risk's registration with the Missouri Secretary of State's office, two of the three addresses were those of Disney corporate headquarters in Burbank, Calif., and Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Also, the business address listed on the registration form is 1826 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Suite 353. That address is the site of a UPS store with a mailbox numbered 353.

And lending an odd touch, the name of one of the company's owners is registered as Robert Brown. While it may be a common name, it also is the name of the deceased first husband of Walt Disney's daughter, Sharon Disney. That Robert Brown died in 1967.

Carter said he's perplexed by the events.

"It's amazing the number of people who have called with the thought of their land going up in value. We're calling the attorney general's office."

Robert Fougere, press secretary for the Missouri Attorney General's office, said he couldn't yet say whether the events will come under scrutiny by that office.

"We certainly would be interested to hear if someone has complaints," Fougere said.

While Marshall gave commissioners a toll-free number, repeated calls yielded a busy signal. Also, e-mail to the address he gave commissioners was not returned.

"It doesn't smell right," said Steve Critchfield, a commercial real estate broker in Branson. If Disney were seeking property, "they would never be this public if they didn't control all the land they needed."

"It would happen before we'd hear anything about it," Critchfield said.

Despite rumors, there's never been any sign of Disney interest in the Branson area, he said.

Jim Hill, a New Hampshire resident, has been writing about Disney for 25 years. He makes his living from his Disney-related Web site.

"It's a cruel prank," he said. "The history of the Disney Company is that they're incredibly careful about this stuff."

According to a timeline of the Disney Co., in 1964, Disney attorney Robert Foster began to purchase land in Florida. To keep his identity secret, he used an assumed name. Among the property was 12,400 acres owned by three Orlando home builders that he bought for $145 an acre.

However, Disney officials have begun exploring expansion by building stand-alone Disney-branded businesses such as resort hotels and water parks because travelers go to major theme parks only once every four years, according to minutes of a report by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

In February, Rasulo said Disney is thinking about developing themed hotels that could be built in large cities that already are tourist draws. Disney also is contemplating "niche theme parks" and water parks in other cities, Rasulo said.

"Our relationships with millions of families will enable us to expand to new businesses and new markets," Rasulo said. "We will never stop dreaming."

"The irony is that Branson would probably be great turf for Disney," Hill said.

elorac
04-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Dang! I figured it probably was a scam, but I won't lie, I did get my hopes up. Oh well, it was a good dream for awhile...:cloud9:

Ian
04-24-2007, 11:06 AM
The entire thing was ridiculous from the start, really. There's no way a company as careful as Disney would ever be stupid enough to use their real corporate address on documents like that.

Personally, I think it was a scam by some folks who own property in that area and wanted to drive the price up short-term so they could sell their land and make a killing.

TiggerRPh
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
The entire thing was ridiculous from the start, really. There's no way a company as careful as Disney would ever be stupid enough to use their real corporate address on documents like that.

Personally, I think it was a scam by some folks who own property in that area and wanted to drive the price up short-term so they could sell their land and make a killing.

I agree Ian....I never believed this for a minute.

Granny Jill A
04-24-2007, 01:31 PM

LOL - I'm from Missouri, and no offense taken, I assure you.

The area around Branson is lovely, but not easy to get to, especially in bad weather. And we have a LOT of bad weather in Missouri.

Unless they want to put a first-class airport there, or run trains to and from the area, it would be a huge waste of money IMHO.

lockedoutlogic
04-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Just some perspective for you...1.1 Billion isn't alot of construction dollars in Bergen County, NJ......but it is quite a bit more in a place out in the middle of nowhere.....
like say......

You get my drift...East Coast thinking tends to lead its' residents into thinking that the prices on the East Coast are the same as the rest of the US.....it's not even close.

Tinkermom
04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
My kids were jumping up and down when they heard this story on our local news. I told them that these rumors crop up everywhere about Disney building a new theme park and not to get their hopes up (we live about 4 hours from the "proposed" area). Poor kids, now I have to tell them that mom was right...;)

BROOKSIDE
04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Given the buying history of Disney, I still am not sure that it wasn't them or let's say an entity working on their behalf. Did you ever hear about the land buy in Florida? We live SE Kansas and Branson has really taken off as well as the rest of the area. Cost of land and manpower are more reasonable here than just about anywhere in the country. I don't see a major park but I still would not be surprised if something doesn't develop in the future. Any sort of Disney themed park would be a dream come true for us. Anymore Disney with the cost of transportation has become just too much and with the crime rates in Florida and just the danger associated with such an enormous area, maybe they are looking to the future. The Midwest has a lot to offer. Cathy

TheRustyScupper
04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
1) My Goodness.
2) Is it April 1st again?
3) Or is this guy just late?

PeterPan
04-28-2007, 11:24 PM
People, people, people! This is a hoax! Wouldn't we ALL love to have a Disney Theme Park right next door? East Texas? Missouri? SOUTH DAKOTA???

Bottom line - it just AIN'T HAPPENING!

Dream on!

They are THRU building Theme Parks in the USA. They will build all over the world (far east) but they will NOT build another domestic Theme Park. Period.