Ratings 1-5
Food Quality: 5
Atmosphere: 4
Service: 5
Menu Creativity: 5
Presentation: 5
Value: 4.5
Overall: 5

Rating Notes: I feel comfortable calling Kona Café the best non-signature restaurant at Disney dropping Puck and Marrakesh down a slot. In fact, Kona, like Puck’s, can give some of the big boys a run for their money. Watch out Yachtsman and Artist Point.

We were seated within 10 minutes of our ADR which is good since MK closed 30 minutes before our 7:30 seating (Grad Nite). As a result, there was an onslaught of people standing at the podium when we checked in. Our server, Christian, came over right away. He was attentive, friendly, and expeditious. The other servers at Kona also seemed to be on the ball. When Rachel forgot to order something, she looked up and didn’t see our server but another one saw she wanted something and came right over to help. Thirty seconds later, a still different server brought Rachel what she wanted. That’s the mark of quality service and great management.

The tables at Kona are not cramped or too close together. They have done a good job avoiding this common Disney pitfall. This, in addition to its location at Poly, is mostly what gives Kona it’s edge over runner-up Wolfgang Puck Café. Both restaurants are loud, but lots of the noise generated in Kona is absorbed by the Great Ceremonial House instead of bouncing around the restaurant. The high ceiling with low wrought iron facade in the seating area also helps keep noise bearable.

On to the food, ‘cause let’s face it: that’s what you want to read about.

First, the house bread:Kona has recently replaced its unremarkable garlic-foccacia bread with the most amazing Sweet Hawaiian loaf and macadamia nut honey butter. I can’t rave enough about this delectable indulgence – Jym’s best bread at WDW award.

Creamy Kona Seafood Chowder: This was more akin to a bisque than a chowder. There was enough assorted seafood to call it a stew and enough flavor to call it a winner. It is a good value even at $5.99 since two people can easily split it. The only drawback is (for you onion haters) the scallion garnish on top isn’t mentioned on the menu. They scoop out easily, though.

Pot Stickers: Stuffed full of great tasting lean duck, the true star of this appetizer is the Creamy Ginger-soy Sauce. Semi-sweet, it pairs beautifully with the pickled cucumber and ginger garnish. These stickers are going on to the top-7 best appetizer list. Note that the pot stickers do not pair well with the house bread n butter. As hard as it may be, leave the bread alone while you eat your pot stickers.

Sticky Wings: These meaty, gristle-free wings would make Hooters™ run for cover if they knew about them. Ask for some extra of the Mustard Drizzle (man I hate that buzzword) on the side; it’s really good. Sadly for Kona, the only wings I like better are just 100 feet away and served by the pound.

Lump Crab Cakes: These guys are pan-seared so they are not at all greasy. They are very traditional crab cakes right down to the lack of a final press (so they are still a ball). The Hawaiian flair here comes with the Asian Tartar Sauce and Pineapple Relish. I salute the creativity of these accompaniments. As someone who doesn’t care for tartar sauce or relish, I was very happy with both of these. Usually relish overpowers food items but not here and I’ve never actually enjoyed a tartar sauce before this one. I put these crab cakes among the best around and that’s saying something; this is Florida.

Entrées:
Shrimp and Scallops:Panko-breaded shrimp and pan-seared (what a surprise) scallops with sticky rice (white) and Ponzu Sauce, Spicy Guava with Passion Fruit Sauce, and Wasabi Cream Sauce for dipping. This is the only value issue we ran across at Kona. You get three jumbo shrimp and three regulation size scallops. I think for $21 there could be four of each. The shrimp were plump, lightly breaded and relatively free of grease, which is surprising since they were not butter flied. As a result, make sure and take small bites of the shrimp if for no other reason than to savor the sauces. The scallops were perfectly cooked with self-supporting flavor, however, they make a perfect vehicle for the wonderful sauces.

Char-crusted Filet Mignon served with Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus, and a Five-spice Mushroom Sauce: It was a pretty good cut, tender, juicy, and flavorful. The outside was firmly seared but not too charred so don’t be afraid of the name. The inside was exactly medium rare as ordered. Great job on the grill. The asparagus was tender but not much more than a garnish compared to the buttery, skin-on, rustic style mashed potatoes. The potatoes are good enough to overcome the poorly conceptualized five-spice mushrooms sauce. Luckily, the sauce was on the side. It was a little tart and earthy, bitter even. We just couldn’t get our respective palates around it. The rest of the entrée was excellent, however.

Desserts
White Chocolate Cheesecake Rich, creamy, and deliciously decadent – served on a chilled plate decorated with three fruity dipping sauces. Thumbs up though there could have been more sauce for me. I get bored with cheesecake pretty quickly.

Kilauea Torte: This thing is huge, enough to share. The outside is crusted but not at all tough and the inside is warm and gooey. The dark chocolate stick in the center makes it look like you could sip the center right through the outside. Don’t try though; it’ll just give you a headache. I think it may be as good as California Grill’s similar concoction.

Crow
04-21-2007, 07:35 AM
great review!
i might have a hard time deciding what to have there though in 38 days.
what no LapuLapu!

wendy*darling
04-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks Jym!
You're making me drool... :eat:

:tikki: Kona is one of our favorites too.

mouseketeer mom
04-21-2007, 07:52 AM
OK..Add that to our list of ADRs for November. Count us in!

prttynpnk
04-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Thats our 1st night meal on our honeymoon trip! I'm glad it passes muster!!
Thanks for all the tips!

crazypoohbear
04-21-2007, 08:27 AM
thanks for the great review. We will be dining here in August.:thumbsup:

Natazu
04-21-2007, 09:26 AM
what no LapuLapu!
I'm 5'11", 250 and look like I walked off the set of The Soprano's. I don't carry around coconuts with umbrellas.

Bruegge
04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm 5'11", 250 and look like I walked off the set of The Soprano's. I don't carry around coconuts with umbrellas.

{LOL}... I guess a cosmo in a pink glass is out of the question too...

Scott

jillluvsdisney
04-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I love dining reviews. Kona is one of our favorites too.

Maleficent's Dad
04-21-2007, 09:40 AM
:funny: I'm with you about the coconuts and pineapple drinks at the Poly!

Thanks for the review! :mickey:

offwego
04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Jym thanks for the review...does this mean I should tell my 6'2" DH or my 6'4" brother to stop? I'm only 5'6" so I'm a wee bit worried about taking away their pinneapples.

LOL... I guess a cosmo in a pink glass is out of the question too...

Scott

The cosmo looks mighty fine in a clear glass to,

SBETigg
04-21-2007, 11:32 AM

I can't wait to try it in August! I'm so glad I made ADRs. Yay! And my husband won't drink Lapu Lapu either, but it is served in a pineapple, Jym, not a coconut. Just so you know. They do have a drink in a coconut, but I can't recall what it was. Who remembers after a Lapu Lapu? :D

P.S. You can get in a glass, without the umbrella, and for a dollar less.

luvdiznee
04-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the report. Agree with you about the sticky wings and crab cakes, our party loved these! Cant wait to go again. :mickey:

MissStyles
04-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Thank you! Thank you!:tikki: I really felt like I was at the Poly for the 3 minutes it took me to read the report. :tikki: I'm with you on the Kileau Torte....it's certainly just as good as the lava cake at the CA Grill!!

Crow
04-21-2007, 06:43 PM

i wont carry it around, just sit there drinking so ill b close to the next one!
hm a dollar less wo the pineapple?
should i try the pineapple :beer: ?

dolphinmickey9170
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
My Firefighter husband would be laughed out of the firehouse if he was caught with a fru-fru drink.

Thanks for the review. I can't wait to go and try it out. I am going to try breakfast first. Then on to Dinner!!!! I can't wait, are we there yet?????????

Natazu
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
I can't wait to try it in August! I'm so glad I made ADRs. Yay! And my husband won't drink Lapu Lapu either, but it is served in a pineapple, Jym, not a coconut. Just so you know. They do have a drink in a coconut, but I can't recall what it was. Who remembers after a Lapu Lapu? :D

P.S. You can get in a glass, without the umbrella, and for a dollar less.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-fruit-containers. I just think a men's drink should come in a leather boot or a fire pail or something. Serve me something in a paint bucket with a straw and I'll give it a shot.

elorac
04-21-2007, 09:39 PM
The Kona is by far one of my favorites. And the Lapu Lapu is truly delish, notwithstanding the huge pineapple!

elorac
04-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-fruit-containers. I just think a men's drink should come in a leather boot or a fire pail or something. Serve me something in a paint bucket with a straw and I'll give it a shot.

You know, it is topped with Bacardi 151. To make it more manly, you could always just light it on fire.:thedolls:

Natazu
04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
You know, it is topped with Bacardi 151. To make it more manly, you could always just light it on fire.:thedolls:

Do coconuts burn?

illini
04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Jym, you've got me so excited about Kona that I'm half contemplating making two ADRs there. Kind of weird to know in April what I'll be eating in November, but I'm going for the crab cakes and the shrimp/scallops. Mmmmm!

I'm thinking that my 6'6" linebacker built DH will have to have a little taste of my lapu lapu while I have my camera handy. I can then share it with everyone I know, or should I say he knows, along with you guys. :thedolls:

TBY2225
04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for making me hungry! I love Kona Cafe! We are going 3 times in September!

mudpuppysmom
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Couple of comments:
Jym -- you guys must have ROLLED out of Kona!! If you two ate everything that was listed == OHHHH MY!!!! I can attest to the wings being YUM-O and also the crab cakes.....the shimp and scallops are everything Jym says they are!! The Kiluea Torte......well, I never finished mine!!

And Lapu Lapu 'ain't no Fru Fru drink.......have two and we'll see who's walkin' tall then.......

Oh, and I've asked for no pineapple.....the CM told me they won't do it anymore......but ask for a Rum Runner with a 151 floater and you got basically the same thing.......well, there must be something chemically the the pineapple does, cause it just is not the same not served in the pineapple!!!

DH tried mine last year........he asked if I was taking it home to finish it or was he going to be carrying me to the car?!?!??! (I drink Long Island Ice Teas all the time when we go out, so a Lapu Lapu was about the same).

One more......Jym, we're trying AP this time around, do you think we should still try it out or should we stick to Kona......I can't add it in, unless it's just DS and I.....DH will not be there long enough to fit both in!

princessgirls
04-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Jym,

Thank you for that quite delicious review of Kona Kafe. We have an ADR for our upcoming trip in August and I was on the fence about it. Not anymore. Looking forward to a very nice, relaxing meal.

Thanks!

Julie:mickey:

P.S. You do share the magic quite well.

January-2007
04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the review! We'll be enjoying dinner here in September. :mickey:

HndrdPrcnt
04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Absolutely wonderful review. I am sold!! Next trip, it's a done deal!:thumbsup:

Natazu
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
One more......Jym, we're trying AP this time around, do you think we should still try it out or should we stick to Kona......I can't add it in, unless it's just DS and I.....DH will not be there long enough to fit both in!
AP is a great restaurant. If you like salmon, it's probably the best around. We generally skip AP because of the 2TS cost. Not necessarily because it isn't worth it, but there are three or four of our favorites that are on the 2TS list already. AP gets edged out by the better Sig places.

Soul_Power
04-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Thank you for this review!! After reading a number of opinions on the Sci-Fi Dine-In Restaurant, I decided to replace it with dinner at Kona Cafe instead. This review has reassured me that I made the right choice!

Sweet! I can't wait!A little under 31 days to go! Almost there!

thejens
04-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I SO want to go to Kona now!!! I've already made my reservations and I don't have room for Kona or Flying Fish. Granted, I had to make concessions to the four young boys we will be travelling with! Maybe next trip!

MinnieMommie
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Totally agree - Kona is a Disney best kept secret! :mickey:

glenpreece
04-29-2007, 10:48 PM
This is by far my fav restaurant in all of WDW. I love everything about this place!!!

Mikey Piano 23
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Kona Café Restaurant Review 20APR07

Sticky Wings: These meaty, gristle-free wings would make Hooters™ run for cover if they knew about them. Ask for some extra of the Mustard Drizzle (man I hate that buzzword) on the side; it’s really good. Sadly for Kona, the only wings I like better are just 100 feet away and served by the pound.

[

Dude you are making my mouth water!! I need to know where are these awesome wings you speak of that are served "100 feet away?" I am a huge fan of wings...and all meat for that matter especially with a cold one. :beer:

Thanks a bunch!

Natazu
04-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Dude you are making my mouth water!! I need to know where are these awesome wings you speak of that are served "100 feet away?" I am a huge fan of wings...and all meat for that matter especially with a cold one. :beer:

Thanks a bunch!

My favorite wings at Disney are the Honey Coriander Wings at 'Ohana.

vamaggie
04-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Jym!!! Am about to make our ADRs for early Nov and I think I may have to do Kona for 2 meals. This will be our first stay at Poly. Too many yummy choices!! Can't wait.

KarenP
04-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I love Kona too. As always, I enjoyed your review, Jym!

HockeyKat
05-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I read this review and we switched our Maya Grill reservation for next week to Kona Cafe. Hope our experience is as good as yours! :thumbsup:

rsumrall
05-07-2007, 12:26 AM
It's a done deal now! We've never tried Kona before (though I long to try the legendary tonga toast for b'fast), but it will definitely be added next trip! Thanks for the great review!