PDA

View Full Version : carseats??

brown1442
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
We are traveling to Disney for the first time in Dec of this year with our (will be) almost 5 year old and 2.5 year old. Am I going to need to bring carseats??

I've never travelled with my kids before ;)

Will I need them on the plane?? Will we need them for Disney transportation?? We are staying at the Polynesian and not planning on renting a car (just using Disney trans while we are there). Would I need one for the buses to and from the parks?? Or the bus that goes to and from the airport??

BelleBeauty
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
You don't have to buy a plane ticket for children young enough to sit on your lap. But it is much safer to do so, and to being their carseat to make them both safer and more comfortable.

You don't need carseats on the Disney transportation. I believe you can use them on the DME bus, and I would recommend doing so.

Beast_fanatic
04-20-2007, 11:54 PM
You don't need carseats on the Disney transportation. I believe you can use them on the DME bus, and I would recommend doing so.

You CANNOT use car seats on DME or on the other Disney transportation.

CleveRocks
04-21-2007, 12:56 AM
OP, you will have no need for car seats.

You COULD choose to use them on the airplane, but it's not required. During our first WDW trip with the kids, they were 5 and 2.5, too. Never felt even for a second that they needed their seats on the airplane. ANd by the way, only children under 2 can be "lap babies" (in other words, if they are 2 or older you MUST buy a seat on the plane for them).

NO DISNEY TRANSPORTATION can have car seats. Car seats require seat belts. There are no seatbelts on Disney's Magical Express (buses between airport and resort) or on Disney Transport (buses between resort and parks).

gueli
04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
A while back, I found out with my Daughter, that only car seats that have 5 point harness sysems & are FAA rated can be on the planes.

Do your self a favor & leave them behind.

Good luck on your trip
:mickey:

wdwjenn
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
We are :plane: to WDW this October with our 2 year-old who has never flown before. We are taking his car seat, he never complains in the car so we hope he won't complain on the plane :fingers: . We are using Magical Express but also renting a car for a few days so will need the car seat for those few days.

I would suggest taking the car seat for the 2.5 year old if he/she is comfortable in it.

Have magical :pixie: trip :santa:

crazeedizneefinatic
04-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Although I think air travel is very safe I would recommend bringing it. I am sure no one would ever think of putting the kids in the car without a seat. I know apples and oranges in comparison but turbulance can be just as dangerous as a minor accident. I also cannot imagine holding a child on your lap (seatbelted in when necessary) for that long a period and our flight is only 2 1/2 hours to WDW. Yes, you can get up and walk around but not very convenient. Just think of your drink tray, there is hardly enough room when that is pulled down when 1 person is sitting. I think holding a child limits your mobility, puts your legs to sleep and makes everyone cranky, not to mention the safety factor. I think bringing your carseart as inconvenient as it may look will make everyone a much happier camper. The first 2 trips with my son we had to lug a 5 point harness car seat around but he was a snug as a bug. He even slept on the plane.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-21-2007, 09:56 PM
We always bring car seats on the plane for our children until they turn 4.
My DD was two weeks shy of 3 last trip and the car seat was great for her. She only asked to get out of it once each way to use the bathroom. She was comfy in there watching the portable DVD player. I did not have to worry about her if we had any major turbulance. (I am not a fan of flying so that works well for me). She napped in her seat on the flight home for one hour.
Yes, it is a pain to carry though the airport but, we feel much better having her in her car seat.
As for the bus transportation, as the other posters said, you can not use a car seat on the buses, including ME. We stored Taylor's seat under the bus on ME. For the park buses we just make sure one of us is sitting down with her on our lap. If the bus is full we will wait for another one so that we are sitting with her.

Have a great trip!!

gueli
04-21-2007, 10:57 PM
There are car seat carry bags that you can buy, the one we have has wheels for when you lug it through an airport. Basically you can zip the car seat inside, and it acts like luggage.
:mickey:

kakn7294
04-22-2007, 12:36 AM
It's already been established that you cannot use the carseat(s) on the Disney buses, either around the property or for DME. If you choose to use a carseat on the plane, they will stow it under the DME bus with your carry-on bags and you will need to store it in your room. I recommend contacting your airline and checking with them to see if your carseat is approved and will actually fit in the plane seat as some do not. Neither child is required to have a carseat on the plane but both are required to have a ticket and must be seated and belted into their own seats for a good portion of the flight and definately on take-off and landing. Consider your children and whether or not you will need the carseat(s).