PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of "fridge swap"?

Disdad13
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
My DW visits another Disney board and has seen quite a few posts about people doing fridge swaps at the value hotels. Not sure exactly how it works, though. Anybody here ever heard of this and know how it works?:confused: We will be at POP 9-19 thru 9-26 and would like to have a fridge in the room, but don't really want to pay the $10 per day....:)

TammiMcMan
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I imagine someone initially brings their own fridge while at the Pop and instead of taking it home, they find someone who is checking in after them and simply passes it along. The person who gets it, should make arrangements for the next person and so on down the line. I did that with our Christmas tree one year.

Another option for you is to bring or purchase a styrofoam or collapsable cooler. You can keep refilling it with ice to keep your beverages cool.

January-2007
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Another option for you is to bring or purchase a styrofoam or collapsable cooler. You can keep refilling it with ice to keep your beverages cool.

That's what we plan to do, bring a collapsable cooler. Anyone know of a good one to get? You can never have too many coolers!

vamaggie
04-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I am not well versed in collapsable coolers but have read here on the boards that some folks pack their coolers in a suitcase and fill it up with water for the trip. I would try a camping supply store since they seem to have a lot of stuff that folds/stores/travels well. Good luck in your search!

Jasper
04-20-2007, 12:49 PM
That's what we plan to do, bring a collapsable cooler. Anyone know of a good one to get? You can never have too many coolers!

We found a really nice one at Home Depot last year. I would also agree with checking the sporting goods places because you are likely to find more variety there.

I do also know from prior experience that the big box retailers like K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. put out a lot of the coolers this time of year so I would start to be on the look out for them. Of course the timeing at your local store will vary by a few weeks depending on how far north or south you live.

January-2007
04-20-2007, 01:06 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice! :mickey:

crazypoohbear
04-21-2007, 09:00 AM
You can never have too many coolers!

That's exactly how I feel. I own about 15 different coolers:blush: Wheeled, soft sided, hard sided, multi pocket, small, medium, large. Huge! I have 2 pink ones so my DH and Kids won't take those!!!:secret:

But, personally, I found the soft sided (collapsible) coolers leak easily. I recommend bringing a hard sided cooler on wheels. Before you leave fill it with dry snacks, etc. ( We put the air mattresses in it!) Close it up using luggage straps. When you get to the airport TSA can unstrap it look inside and then hook the strap back on. It wheels so it's easy to maneuver. It's hard sided so it won't leak all over your room.

If you are looking for a small collapsible cooler to bring to the park to just hold water there are some great backpack ones.
We used one last year that had the small cooler attached at the bottom and the zippered part we used for ponchos, lotion, powder, cameras etc. We took turns carrying it and it worked great. the best part was I purchased it for $2.74 at Target:party:

magicofdisney
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I read a variation on the fridge swap. There were about 6-7 groups going consective weeks. They all agreed to split the cost of a fridge, with the first family picking it up at Wal-Mart. That family handed it off at the end of their stay to the next family who in turn gave to the next family at the end of their stay. And so it went until ?? I don't know where or if it stops. What happens if you can't find someone to take it at the end of your stay? Do you leave it in the room or take it with you? Personally, I like the cooler idea better because I take a large cooler on wheels and can fit way more things than the fridges allow. :mickey:

Disdad13
04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
From what my DW read on another site, it could go on indefinitely. From what she read, when the people who have the fridge check out, they tell the front desk that Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so will be checking in later that day, or the next day, or whatever, and will be using the fridge, and the front desk will hold the fridge. Upon check in, Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so mention that there should be a fridge for them that was left by the last Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so, and the fridge is delivered to their room. At the end of their stay, assuming they have found someone who will be visiting the World after they leave, they check out, mention the arrangement to the front desk, and the whole thing starts over again. On the other site DW visits, she said there are several fridge swaps going at the time we will be there, but they are already spoken for.

As for coolers, yes, that would work, but we live in central Illinois and will be flying. Thus, a large cooler is not practical. Even collapsible coolers, while they would work, are just one more thing to pack and take up space.

KAT1811
04-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Am I the only one who finds this "swap" a bit odd?

bugsbuni70
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
The <snip> website had a budget board that has alot fridge swaps they each explain how it works.

Dicecatt262
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Nope. I do too.

I understand that $10 can add up when you are there for 9 or 10 days, but $90 or $100 doesn't seem worth the hassle to me of arranging and picking up and leaving it for someone else, and I also imagine that the resort staff finds it a bit odd?

I've seen all kinds of Fridge swap threads, maybe I just don't "get it" but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

BrerGnat
04-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, it is odd, but I don't understand why WDW doesn't just add fridges to the value resorts as well. Is it really going to cost them so much extra? I imagine if they raised the price of the rooms by $10 and included a fridge, no one would be bothered by it.

But then again, I don't think $10/day is a lot to rent a fridge. You are saving a lot of money if you use the fridge to store a gallon of milk or sodas you buy elsewhere cheaper.

TammiMcMan
04-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, it is odd, but I don't understand why WDW doesn't just add fridges to the value resorts as well. Is it really going to cost them so much extra? I imagine if they raised the price of the rooms by $10 and included a fridge, no one would be bothered by it.I think it comes down to what are the things that separate a value from a moderate or a moderate from a deluxe. Some will pay for the fridge, others will decide that the total difference is minimal and therefore upgrade to a moderate. Some people who book values are pinching pennies, so a room increase of $10 to cover a fridge that they don't want anyway, may bother them.

Melanie
04-28-2007, 01:07 AM
they tell the front desk that Mr. & Mrs. so-and-so will be checking in later that day, or the next day, or whatever, and will be using the fridge, and the front desk will hold the fridge.

I'm really surprised Disney goes for this. :unsure:

QTPie68
04-28-2007, 03:37 AM
I'm really surprised Disney goes for this. :unsure:

It is probably not worth it for Disney to do anything about it. Technically, they are holding a package, just the same as if you shipped a weeks worth of water/soda. You don't spend money on water/soda at POP because they are holding it for you......you don't spend money on a fridge because they are holding it for you.

Let's face it.....WDW has a formula planned out. They know that families who stay on site have a budget of what they will spend (and a lot will overspend)....WDW will get our money in food, ticket, souvies, etc. And, those who do the fridge thing are those who come often, probably best (in their minds) not to upset them. Just a guess :mickey: .

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
04-28-2007, 08:54 AM

I also think this is very odd and would seem like a big hassle, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually done this.

KSS
04-28-2007, 09:19 AM
We often bring a soft sided cooler packed in our luggage and fill it when we get there, but they do tend to leak so we also pack a couple of garbage bags and line the inside before we fill it with ice.