PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's vs. Crystal Palace

dinahvixen
04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
I was wondering what the buzz is on Chef Mickey's. I was planning our dinner reservations (for Sept, but I want to call early), and am trying to decide between Crystal Palace while we are at MK, or taking the monorail over to Chef Mickey's. I have never heard of it, but I saw it in a guide book. The menu looked better over at Chef Mickey's, but I wondered what you all thought of it comparatively and if it was worth the time out of the MK to eat there over CP.

glenpreece
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Hmm well we did CP for bfast last year and it was so beautiful and convienent being in mk, the main reason we are having dinner there this time around. As for CM's I have never eaten there, I heard it is ok just really loud and noisy. I think it really comes down to Mickey vs, Pooh, staying in MK vs. going to Contemp. I personally love visiting the other resorts (especially the ones I can't afford!) But like I said we chose CP for the convienience.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Believe it or not we have not recently had breakfast at the CP! We always choose Chef Mickey's. When you walk in they take your picture with the cutest prop. It's mickey with a huge plate holding a giant knife and fork. Be prepared you do have to purchase the pictures if you want them, they are pricey. It is a buffet style breakfast with anything you would want to eat. My son always chooses the mickey waffles and potato cakes. They have bacon, eggs, french toast, waffles, hash browns you name it. (I just made myself hungry!) They also have an extensive cereal and baked good area. Fruit bar with whipped topping also. I like the atmosphere. It is located in the Contemporary. The monorail passes right through so that is a thrill too. The characters have always been great! Very interactive (just like all the character meals). Bring your autograph book! We have never had dinner there and finally made plans to this Sept.. I also like the CP but seem to always lean twords Chef Mickey.

Raye3201
04-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Both CM and CP are great. We've always found that we have to wait longer at CP to be seated but the service and food are great at both. CM's has the dance and 'twirling napkin' routine that my DS(6) loves although we've only ever been there for dinner so I'm not sure if they do the same for other meals. CP is so convenient, being right in the Magic Kingdom and the characters are great too.
You really can't go wrong with either. :mickey:

CleveSJM
04-18-2007, 05:29 AM
We like both for dinner. Really a Pooh vs. Mickey decision for us. CM is a bit louder but I find the food a little better. CP has the "kids parade" around the restaurant following Pooh/Eeeyore so there is interaction at both.

I would probably say CP if you are already at MK. Save CM for a day you are out and about or AK when it closes early.

:thumbsup: Good choices, you can't go wrong. :thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
04-18-2007, 07:17 AM
We were at Chef Mickey's Saturday night and everyone loved it! Character interaction was great, food was very good, and everyone loved the ice cream/dessert bar! We haven't been to CP so can't compare but CM is a new "must do" for us:thumbsup:

pox24
04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Chef Mickey's...:thumbsup:

illini
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
We like them both, and have eaten at each about 4 times. Sometimes the food is better at one, sometimes the other. Kind of hit or miss. They're both pretty decent for buffets, though. CP has a somewhat smaller selection, but I've found that they have more/better salads (and I'm usually craving anything with vegetables while at Disney-- total lack!). CM has awesome mashed potatoes, though. Mmmmm.
Going to the CR isn't that big of a deal and is a nice, albeit short, break.
I'd leave it up to a Mickey vs. Pooh thing. Or do like us and do both during the week.

onjbj
04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
We've been to both and if I HAD to choose, I'd choose Chef Mickey's.:mickey: The food was great and the interaction with the characters was fantastic. Leaving MK to go there isn't that big a deal to us b/c you can just hop on the monorail. Thankfully, we didn't have to choose between the two last yr or for our next trip- free DDP makes it possible to do both!!

mdricks
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
We do both! CP for breakfast, earliest ADR we can get. That way we get those great, us only pictures in front of the castle. I have some on my wall and everybody always asks, "How did you get that without anybody in the background?!?" The food is great and my kids are/were (they get old fast) Pooh appropriate.

We usually do CM for dinner and pound-for-pound have more fun. The characters are more "Disney" and the atmosphere is controlled chaos. A late dinner ressie is just the thing to revitalize sleepy heads and put a wonderful cap on a long day. We always time it just right so we finish eating and get outside just in time for wishes.

I was once told by a helpful CM, the most requested ADR on WDW property is Chef Mickey's. It doesn't surprise me one bit.....

:number1:

Namine'
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I have been to both and the food and service is great at either one. If I had to choose, it would be breakfast at CP and dinner at CM. The character interaction I feel is better at CM. Hope this is a help.

KAT1811
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM
LOVE CP for breakfast, especially the breakfast lasagna and the omlet and eggs made to order. IMHO one of the best breakfast buffets in WDW. The characters are Pooh and friends . I've only done CM for dinner and didn't care for the selections at all, loved the characters (it's hard to compete with Mickey and friends).

We're skipping CM and doing CP so I'd say my vote is certainly for CP.

MauiMouse
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I had dinner at Chef Mickey's once and that was enough for me. It's just to chaotic with the characters and the buffet lines. Plus it's really loud. On that note we are trying Crystal Palace for the first time this next trip for dinner, looking forward to this "new" restaurant. :piglet: :pooh:

mudpuppysmom
04-18-2007, 02:41 PM
DS and I ate dinner at CP last January and I was not in the least impressed.....the interaction was rushed when it was there....we never did see Pooh (who we really went for DS says....Mom likes Eeyore though:blush: ). At any rate, the service was less than what I expected (this was the first TS meal I took DS to).

On the other hand we ate at CM's last September for breakfast (I know, breakfast and dinner are different, but it's the same restaurant, just different food). The service was MUCH better and the food was also MUCH better!!! When I say food was better -- DS actually ATE the food, he didn't just push it around and try to tell me he ate either -- he ATE IT and asked for more too!!! At CP he just sort of picked at it. The characters spent a LOT more time with us and we got to see everyone also, so that was another plus for us.

Our trip coming up in a few weeks I have been trying to get CM's for b-fast with no luck (let me clarify that one......they do have a 7:15 a.m. if I remember correctly!!! Getting a five year old up and out the door at 6:30 just is not happening on vacation!!! He's hard enough to get up normally, let alone going all day the day prior at a park!! I'm going to keep trying though!

Good luck with your decision!!!

Maleficent's Dad
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
They're both buffets with characters, but that's where the comparison ends.

CP is in the MK in a beautiful building. Pooh & friends make the round in a surprisingly calm atmosphere (given its location).

CM's is in a resort with a lot - and I mean a lot - of stimulation. The monorail rushes overhead, there's some loud music blaring, and the characters are Mickey and co.

We do prefer CP, and we've eaten at both. But on these boards, you'll find CM's to be immensely popular!

KarenP
04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
My family likes Chef Mickey's better.

imaprincess!
04-19-2007, 02:57 AM
We had breakfast at Chef Mickey's. LOVED IT! :mickey: Great character interaction (my daughter was dressed like Minnie and Minnie took her by the hand, pulled her into the middle of the room and danced with her) and the food was good! :thumbsup:

We had dinner at Crystal Palace and I was so disappointed. Maybe we caught them on a bad day, but the buffet kept running out of food, we had a lousy server and not all the characters came around. :(

I hope whatever you choose if fun and delicious!

darthmacho
04-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Do you like Pooh :pooh: or Mickey :mickey2: to visit you during your meals? Maybe that could help you decide?

As for the food, I've had dinner at both, and I'd say they were both GREAT, but Mickey's had more variety and more interesting choices.

I've had breakfast at CP, but that meal is usually standard throughout WDW, so I'd say they might be comparable?

Honestly, it's a decision that most likely you won't regret either way!

Donald Duck
04-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I perfer CP to CM.
CM is in an open area and it's nosier.
The last time we were at WDW (Oct 2005) we had our best meal (dinner) at the CP.

BritCody
04-20-2007, 07:01 AM
We love Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace. We try and eat at both every trip. But to answer the question I would choose Crystal Palace for the sole reason that this way I'm not leaving the MK. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with either choice

big blue and hairy
04-20-2007, 07:10 AM
DW and I also love both Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace. The determining factor for me would be whether you wanted to stay in the park, or if the time you spent walking to and from the monorail and through the Contemporary would be considered a respite. I know I would choose to stay in the park, but that's just me....

:sulley:

Rayadragon
04-20-2007, 12:17 PM
We ate at both CM and CP during our trip last Oct, and my family prefered CP over CM this time. Although CM was great, we thought the food was more limited than when we went the previous year. CP had lost more different types of food. We're Mickey fans, but since we're a family of 4 adults we don't always see the characters as much. The character interaction was about the same at both restaraunts. We felt more rushed at CM's than we had previously, and at CP we didn't feel rushed at all. Finally, we're not big fans of leaving a park to go eat, and CP is right there.

If you can manage it, eat at both :mickey: If not, I'd say just stick with CP.

Shugoondola
04-20-2007, 03:54 PM
If I had to pick just one, it would definitely be Chef Mickey's. I thought the food was better and it's a lot of fun, too. It's just a quick monorail ride from MK. You can even walk (if you're not too tired!)

:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Love them both! For me, I would pick CM, mainly because I'm a Mickey fan! But, the convenience of not leaving the park for CP has its benefits!

tiggmom
04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Our family did both CM and CP for breakfast on our last trip and loved them both. The character interaction was great both times. CM's is definately louder than CP but its like a party. The food was great at both as well. We are going back to both in June. Can't wait:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
We've done both for breakfast, but usually avoid big dinners because it is just so hot and humid in June.

After reading some of the comments we may need to take another look at this...:confused: