PDA

View Full Version : Sept '09 grand gathering

tinksmom02
04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
OK, I know I'm waaaayyyy ahead of myself here, but I figured you guys here would understand :blush:

We are (read: I am) in the pre-pre-planning stages for our Sept 2009 trip, and have some questions. There will be 8 adults (4 couples) and 2 kids, ages 7 and 2.

When is a good time to make reservations for 9/09 (in other words, when will prices be available)? Where would you recommend staying? Planning for 3 or even 5 seems to be so much easier--one room or two. For 10 people, I don't know. I'm assuming that MJ will be able to help plan our trip!

For those of you that have done large group trips before, do you find it to be more expensive (per person) than if it was a smaller family? Are any of the Grand Gathering extras (special meals, whatever) worth the extra price?

Those of you that have done GG's before, did you use DME, rent, towncar? DH and I generally rent a car when we're in the world.

Any general advice, tips on dining, etc, would be appreciated!

I know it's really far in advance, but I thouht it wouldn't hurt to start getting ideas.
Thanks so much!

BigRedDad
04-18-2007, 04:48 AM
I don' think it is too far in advance. With the cost of going to WDW, you need to plan ahead. We are planning for our Feb or Sept 2009 trip now. Our trip is going to consist of at least 6 adults, 2 kids. It may go up to as high as 14 adults and 5 kids. The plan is to stay at a monorail resort. The average cost per room with tickets will be ~$3600.

faline
04-18-2007, 05:42 AM
If you're going to book a package deal for each family, you won't see those rates released until mid-year or so of 2008. You could book room only reservations earlier than that - depending upon when in 2009 you're planning your trip.

With young children, I generally always recommend a monorail resort if a deluxe is within everyone's budget. If you need moderate accommodations, I'd suggest either Coronado Springs or Port Orleans. The favorite among value resorts seems to be Pop. I'd also recommend that each group get their own room - too much togetherness sometimes leads to problems.

Many people have recommended the fireworks cruise option for a Grand Gathering. Other than that, I haven't heard of many folks taking advantage of the other potential offerings.

Unless you're planning time in off-site pursuits, I'd suggest using Magical Express and Disney transportation. This allows more possibilities for folks who want to split from the group (take the kids back to the room for a nap; pursue a different park or activity) and doesn't lock everyone into traveling together. It'll keep the whole group from having to wait for a potential straggler who can't get up and get going in the morning!

Don't plan to spend every waking moment together. Plan specific times of the day when the entire group will convene - perhaps a character breakfast or a dinner in a particular restaurant. Other than that, allow the group to break into smaller sub-groups to pursue individual interests.

Have fun planning!