PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bugs at the POR

jenalen77
04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
We were at the POR for seven nights last May and had what we thought to be bed bug bites. We are getting ready to return to the POR in May and I am getting a little nervous.
Has anyone heard anything about this?

Christine
04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I would dare say that if you had bed bugs, it would not be contained to POR. Florida in general is a bit "buggy" plus hotel beds in general are known to be a haven for such things. (remember that Dateline show about that last year???)

Seems like they said there was something you could do or spray to prevent bites??? You may want to do a google search on the topic.

Have a great trip! Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite!! (sorry I couldn't resist!) :blush:

CleveSJM
04-17-2007, 11:03 AM
With the amount of turnover the rooms at Disney have it would be extremely surprising to find bed bugs there. They change the bedding on almost all the beds almost everyday.

May have fleas from the previous visitor. Fleas can't live without a furry host for long but if someone brought them down, they might have gotten you a little. Or you may have had a little reaction to the detergent they use on the sheets.

If you notice an unusual bite, mention it to the resort CM and they will have it looked at.

Odds are very low it was bed bugs...:thumbsup:

crazeedizneefinatic
04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh my gosh!I am completely itchy right now, lol.:ack: I personally never saw or thought I saw them so I cannot give you any help about what they look like or what the bites look like. I am sure the WWW could help you with that. But did you report anything to management? I would have immediately demanded to be switched to another room or resort. I have never stayed at POR always values and never had a problem.

mouseketeer mom
04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
My son woke up two mornings in a row at the Poly this past September with bug bites on his face and neck. He is sensitive skinned and they were huge and extremely itchy. Love bugs were prevalent at the time, but we were assured they don't bite. He slept on the daybed both nites. Yucky. I refused to believe that bugs were in the Poly rooms, but he was really bitten up.

Jimenyfan
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
We just stayed at POR alligator bayou and didnt have any problems with bed bugs or any other type.

jenperich
04-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I stayed in the Alligator Bayou at POR, and I didn't have any bed bugs. I would hate to think that Disney would have bed bugs. Good luck at your next stay and I hope you have a great time.

sleepingbooty
04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I remember seeing a special about the bedbug "epidemic" on a news program a couple years ago. An easy thing to do is to pull up the fitted sheet when you arrive and check along the binding of the mattress. Apparently they congregate there. I saw footage of it on the program, and they are visible - little black bugs along the seams. I always check now, and have yet to find any at any hotel I've stayed at. I'm a bug phobic. My head is itching right now just thinking about this!

MMouse6937
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
YIKES, it's hard to think about :ack: I do know from various news shows that the amount of germs and crude that can live in a room even after it's "cleaned" is amazing. DH and I both got a horrible cold/respiratory infection last year after staying at DL and found out that pretty much the cold virus can live on bathroom counters/sinks for days after whoever was infected has left the room. Bed bugs are unfortunately a fact of life unless the bedding is washed in HOT water to kill them. I think we would all be amazed if we went in our hotel rooms with a black light. :ack: :ack: Just think though, whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!! hee hee, sorry :D

faline
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
To check, lift up the mattress and check between the mattress and box spring. As the other poster noted, also check along the seams of the mattress.

Bed bugs are easily transported. If a prior guest brought them, they could be present and they could be contained to one room.

tinkerbell615
04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
OMG! You guys are making my skin crawl. I have a terrible phobia of any type of microscopic but that is hard to see but can be on or near you. I don't want to even look to see if there are bugs. If I found any, I think I would be awake the entire trip... standing!!:D

JMTStone
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Bugs HATE Green Tea Oil Extract. Bugs hate it. As much as I believe POR woul be cleaner than any chain hotel, it doesn't hurt to bring some with you.

Willowwind
04-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Could you mean Tea Tree Oil?

I know that Tea Tree Oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti- bacterial, anti-parasitic and on and on. Green Tea boosts antioxidants and vitamin E intake.

:eek: Oh gads... I am SO creeeped out by this topic. Add me to the itching all over club!! I googled "Disney Bed Bugs" and thankfully didn't find much.

crazeedizneefinatic
04-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I think the main point here would be if a bed bug was seen in a hotel room, Management needs to be notified immediately. If no one complains or makes a fuss, they are there for the next person to discover and take home with them. After reading this post I was totally creeped out. I always inspect everything anyway at checkin,lol. Bed bugs are easily taken with you. The possibility of bringing them home with you is there. If people are getting bit all over I can safely assume there are more than just a few (?) which can also lead to the assumption they have been there awhile. I wish you luck that nothing is in your room but if there is make sure to place a complaint to be moved and demand that room be fumigated or you are placing a complaint with the health department. Bugs should not be something guests have to contend with. After all you are paying to stay there. I am sure all hotels have "problems" but they need to be kept under control. YUCK!

mreinventtt
04-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Dont know about bed bugs but a few years back we stayed at Pop Century and my daughter came home with head lice.
Talk about itchy. Not sure if it was from the hotel room or her trying on different hats in the gift shops. I always tell her never to put on any hats ANYWHERE.
Missy

SBETigg
04-17-2007, 08:05 PM
With the amount of turnover the rooms at Disney have it would be extremely surprising to find bed bugs there. They change the bedding on almost all the beds almost everyday.

If you notice an unusual bite, mention it to the resort CM and they will have it looked at.

Odds are very low it was bed bugs...:thumbsup:

It doesn't matter how often they change the bedding. During the day, bedbugs crawl into crevices in walls and floors. They come out at night to feed, on you if you're there. Here are some tips I picked up from a friend in NYC.

If possible, pull the bed out about three inches from the wall and wrap double sided tape around the legs. Bedbugs don't hop. They only crawl. With no wall or floor contact, they can't get into your bed. They can't make it over sticky tape.

After dark, strip all the top covers and top sheet off and look at the bottom sheet, and the mattress ticking around the sides. If you see rice-like grains(what the bugs resemble), request a new room immediately. If not, you're probably in a bug free room.

Once you get home, always vacuum your luggage before you bring it in and unpack. I've also heard that the bugs can't abide green tea. Open a few bags and sprinkle it around (which may just be silly, but why not?)

And one finally note, WDW has been really great about keeping bedbugs at bay so far, and I hope they keep it up.

garymacd
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
We didn't have bed bug problems when we just sprayed everything down with DDT - kids and all!:ack:

Now, it's a little harder to kill them.

AliceinDisney
04-17-2007, 11:16 PM
There are some reviews about Grosvenor resort in Disney Downtown area having bed bugs in the mattress. I heard lots and lots of negativity directed torward that hotel's cleanliness in particular.

PirateLover
04-17-2007, 11:25 PM
What did the bites look like? Bed bugs usually bit in a row and they are relatively small bites.

Did you spend a lot of time outside? On my last stay at the Poly, i hung out on the hammock every night talking to my boyfriend. I got SEVERLY bitten by something. No one else in my family was. Sometimes bugs are attracted to a lotion you may have on.

As far as bed bugs go, once they have matured , you would be able to see them with the naked eye. They don't actually cause any real harm to humans and interestingly, they serve absolutely no purpose to the environment, other than annoying humans.

joonyer
04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
bed bugs at POR? what about snakes at AKL? :D

JMTStone
04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
It is Tea Tree Oil. I put it on the mattress and the pillows.

Great idea Sgt about what to do when you get home!