PDA

View Full Version : reservations & free dining plan

jake
04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Do you have to make reservations several months ahead during the free meal plan? We like to plan as we go. Will it be a complete zoo at the eateries during this period?

TBY2225
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes, you can make them up to 180 days before so you need to go ahead and make them now! I made mine 2 weeks ago before the free dining was announced and had no problem. A friend of mine called today and got only 4 out of 7 that he wanted. So, the sooner the better! I know it is hard to decide where you will be that far out, but if you don't you will have to settle for what is left, and last year from what I hear that wasn't much. No one was taking walk ups and some people had to trade 1 TS for 2 CS because they couldn't get ADR's anywhere!

comicguy
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
We wree on the free dining plan last year(we made our ADR's as soon as booked) but we saw so many people being turned away from resturants and lots of complaining from people in regards to that.

I would try to figure out where you wat to eat and book now as soom of the places will be hard to get into for certain times(Coral Reef, Le Cellier, as examples)

sleepingbooty
04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I will second that. This will be our third year to go during the free dining promotion. Plan as you go is out. Just about every place we went last year we heard them turn away walk ups. Even if you go ahead and plan your meals, you can still preserve some spontanaity by getting a park hopper pass. At least that way you can go wherever the mood strikes you (as long as you are where you need to be by mealtime that is!)

faline
04-16-2007, 04:13 PM
With the free dining plan, it is almost impossible to get last minute reservations at any table-service restaurant. Make any table service reservations as soon as possible!

disneyfan328
04-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I have not done the DDP before, but we are going in Sept and I already made my ressies last week. I got all that I wanted, but already had to make some adjustments on the times/days we wanted to go certain places. There were 2 days sold out last week of September for CRT, I finally got it and there were a few more tables left that day. I would definetly say that you need to book now since the DDP is free, EVERYONE that has it will use it. I hear that the restaurants are busy during this time, but the parks are still ok crowd wise??? I hope that is the case!! I also hear that we need to try a DOLE WHIP or FLOAT. My mouth is watering already.

KAT1811
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Make your ADRs ASAP!!!

Some restaurants are already booked up!

The free DDP makes sure that everyone eats in the restaurants. Make them now you can always cancel them later.

jacknsally02
04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Planning ahead is a better option, though it's not your only option. It's better to make the ressie ahead and you can always cancel. we got some ressies at the last minute though( when we were actually there already), but you can't be too choosey.:marg:

MickeyDreamer
04-21-2007, 03:51 PM
We only planned a few of our meals the past 10 days and the parks where busy. We did however call in the afternoon on a few days and get ADR's for that evening at resort resturants. We did not try this at any of the parks however and do not think I would. Those place's all apeared to be very busy.

kellyisbusy
04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
If you do not want to plan this far in advance and still want to experience some of the dining I suggest when you try going to the restaurants of your choice for lunch instead of dinner. You will still get a great meal but less choice. Also, if you just want to get a counter service at your hotel you can use your table service credit and they give you a voucher to get a little gift at the gift shop, unless they have changed that since last Sept.

ryca1dreams
04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
I booked my ADRs this weekend and I got everything I wanted to include times down to the minute. And I'm going in September.

I will say that you are better off making your ADRs now rather than later.

Auntie
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
If you are going during free dining...MAKE THEM NOW! I actually cancelled a trip last year during free dining..in part..because I didn't make them far enough in advance It was July..and we weren't going until the first week of October. I thought 3 mos. was plenty of time. Apparently, not during a free dining promo.:( EVERYTHING was booked. I was told "that's what you get waiting until the last minute"! Jeeze, I didn't think three months out was last minute. I usually just make a couple of ADR's and like to take the rest day by day. I had other things going on (my dad was ill)..and the stress of having to deal with possibly eating counter service meals for table service credits..well, I couldn't deal with it, and wound up cancelling the trip. Disney did call ..regarding the ADR's..apparently a good many people were having the same problem I was. They were keeping restaurants open later..and starting dinner earlier, but I couldn't see eating at 10:00 at night..just a bit too late for a heavy meal.
So my advise to you is if you plan to visit during a free dining promo..get your ADR's so you can relax and enjoy your trip.:mickey: Better to have them, and cancell when you're there if you decide at that point to do something else.

I am planing a trip for May..and we recently added the dining option to a pincode mailer discount we received. I was able to secure ADR's before I changed the room only to a package..since I wanted to BE SURE securing ADR's wasn't going to be an issue again. So far, I've had no problem.:thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing how the dining plan works for my family. This is our first experience with it. Even paying the $39.00 for it..to feed a growing teenager..seems like a pretty good deal!

Crow
04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I made my ones for May. finished them last month wo problems.
but i have yet to decide them for Sept. guess i better make some at least.
i too hate to plan for sure. used to do walkups but now i guess that is out. May is my first try w the dining plan, which changes my big meals to dinner instead of lunch, since i dont have to worry about cost.
good luck. ill try to make some mayb today.
if you plan on Le Cellier id say to call now. its the hardest cause of size. or as stated try lunches or less popular places.